Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Engine Guard

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mozart 2

Engine Guard Empty
PostSubject: Engine Guard   Engine Guard EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 5:25 pm

I know it's not a bash plate and won't protect against major impact, but I ride 100% on the road, so I laser-cut and formed an acrylic plate to protect the engine from road debris. A rock would likely destroy the plate, but it would absorb the impact and is cheap and easily replaced. Plus, it keeps the engine cleaner. (And it's Yamaha racing blue...). The bend goes all the way under the frame and stops just short of the oil drain plug.

Engine Guard Photo_19
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

Engine Guard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Guard   Engine Guard EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 7:51 am

do you have the flat pattern profile of the shape and hole pattern in a cad format ?? On a local ride report i read 2 weeks ago...the unit you made would of most likely saved a unprotected crankcase hole from a pointed rock strike... as the resulting crack was just deep enough to let oil seep out..
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Engine Guard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Guard   Engine Guard EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 7:43 pm

Looks awesome thumb  Don't know how many times I kicked up a rock on the road and after it smacked my bash plate I say to myself (man am I glad I put on a plate.) also the front of my plate is pretty rough and blasted from the sand on the road you don't hear or see.
Back to top Go down
MADDOGGIE501

Engine Guard Empty
PostSubject: 2016 WR250R Engine Protector   Engine Guard EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 8:08 pm

I just saw the 2016 model photos on Yamaha's website. The photos show a black engine protector in between the frame rails. I checked with my local dealer for a part number to order one, but they could not locate it. The part is very similar to what you made here. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to install one for the times I'm not doing serious off roading.
Back to top Go down
Mozart 2

Engine Guard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Guard   Engine Guard EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 8:46 pm

I designed the plate on SolidWorks, a 3D solid modeling CAD program. I cut the plate from 1/8" acrylic on a laser cutter and formed it with a strip bender. I'm not sure how much help that is, but I'm happy to send the SolidWorks file if you can use it.
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

Engine Guard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Guard   Engine Guard EmptyFri Nov 20, 2015 3:04 am

MADDOGGIE501 wrote:
I just saw the 2016 model photos on Yamaha's website.  The photos show a black engine protector in between the frame rails.  I checked  with my local dealer for a part number to order one, but they could not locate it.  The part is very similar to what you made here.  Any help would be appreciated.  I would like to install one for the times I'm not doing serious off roading.

Do you mean like this one?

Engine Guard 25dbdf10 Engine Guard A1311310

If so its the stock one of the California models and it's there to protect the charcoal canister which everywhere else does not have.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

Engine Guard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Guard   Engine Guard EmptyFri Nov 20, 2015 5:43 am

Good that California folks know that an after market skid plate will not fit unless you ditch the charcoal canister.

Do Cali bikes need to have emission checks there like cars?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine Guard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Guard   Engine Guard Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine Guard
Page 1 of 1