Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Ignition lock not working right

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
blusmoke

Ignition lock not working right Empty
PostSubject: Ignition lock not working right   Ignition lock not working right EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 12:52 am

Problem: Suddenly my lock has become very hard to operate. Turning the key has become almost impossible, the lock is hanging up in each position. You have to wiggle it back and forth and when it does turn it feels very notchy. It doesn't matter which key i use and is especially bad when the bars are locked.

History/backstory: Been stored outside about a month or so now and been rained on a couple times though the lock has never given me any trouble ever until yesterday after work. I applied some lubricant to the key and then squirted some directly into the lock with little effect.

Question: Has anyone else had any problems with theirs and has anyone had to do any lock maintenance?
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: Ignition lock not working right   Ignition lock not working right EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 2:28 am

What kind of lube did you use? I had a similar problem with my XT660X which I couldn't remedy using WD40. A mech told me not to use silicone spray and that grease spray was my friend...so I did, and it worked.

Also, having a bunch of keys on your keyfob can damage the ignition barrel.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Ignition lock not working right   Ignition lock not working right EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 6:38 am

My bike has been ridden as an endurobike for 5 years before i got it. The ignition feels like its full of dirt. I've sprayed wd40 and simular in it, tried to fill it up with it to remove dirt, and used compressed air. It has worked somewhat, its better and still get an occasional squirt of lube. I never use the ignition lock, they allways seems to bind up on dualsport-bikes for me.

I took my keys to a locksmith, but he said they were fine, and suggested to use wd40 or completely remove the ignitionswitch/barrel, take it apart and clean it, which is a timeconsuming progress as the ignitionbarrel is located with tamperproof bolts/nuts that needs to be drilled out.

Last edited by Jens Eskildsen on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Ignition lock not working right   Ignition lock not working right EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 9:39 am

WD40 has always freed up mine for awhile.

Have the same issue to some extent on all my bikes. Usually a liberal application of WD40 will fix it for about 6 months. I probably should just hit the locks with WD40 as part of my oil change ritual.
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Ignition lock not working right   Ignition lock not working right EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 5:29 pm

I initially applied Remington rem-oil to the keys and then a squirt of pb-blaster in to the lock but I didn't add too much because I'm not sure what is in pb blaster or the lock for that matter.

I went ahead and flushed the lock with the pb stuff this morning and now the lock is more or less back to normal. honestly with how bad the lock was functioning I was wondering if a thief maybe had tried forcing something in to the lock.

Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Ignition lock not working right   Ignition lock not working right EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 9:41 pm

Mine did this once a year or so ago, I ride in the wet a lot and wash the bike a lot so my key and the ignition gets wet often.

I filled it with seafoam deep creep and put the key in and out of it a bunch of times, its as good as new now, if it happens again I'll deep creep it again.

I don't but wd40 any more, deep creep works way better and leaves a oily residue, wd40 strips all the oil residue off stuff so it gets rusty again in a hurry.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Ignition lock not working right   Ignition lock not working right EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 8:24 am

Biglake wrote:
Mine did this once a year or so ago, I ride in the wet a lot and wash the bike a lot so my key and the ignition gets wet often.

I filled it with seafoam deep creep and put the key in and out of it a bunch of times, its as good as new now, if it happens again I'll deep creep it again.

I don't but wd40 any more, deep creep works way better and leaves a oily residue, wd40 strips all the oil residue off stuff so it gets rusty again in a hurry.  

Deep Creep? I may have to look for some of that.

You do know the WD40 story right? Originally it was developed to keep moisture from corroding the fuel tanks of ICBMs. The name came from Water Displacement Formula #40 - it was the 40th formula that the inventor had tried and it worked. People at the company noticed it 'fixed' a lot of issues and began to take batches home with them.

After awhile the inventor realized their was a civilian market for the stuff and lobbied the government to allow them to sell the product on the open market.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ignition lock not working right   Ignition lock not working right Empty

Back to top Go down

Ignition lock not working right
Page 1 of 1