Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

R to X conversion gone wrong?

Go down 
+2
Jens Eskildsen
Evol
6 posters
AuthorMessage
beer goggle

beer goggle

R to X conversion gone wrong? Empty
PostSubject: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 4:36 pm

So I got me some Warp 9's a couple of months back and only just managed to fit some rubber on them yesterday. Also fitted some Michelin AC10 on the R rims. While fitting the guys at the tire shop pointed out that the front rim was slightly off centre to the left...not by much, but noticeable. As the caliper and bolts all fitted I thought nothing of it, until later that day I noticed the tire was rubbing on the rubber ring on the fork when compressed/braking.

The tires are new Conti SM Attack and the front is OEM 110/70/17. I got the bike on a stand and removed the front wheel to see if someone went wrong while fitting, tried swopping spacers but no luck...it doesn't seem to fit right.

Before I get in touch with the peeps at Warp 9 I'd like to know if anyone else has experience similar, and what the solution was if any. I'll be extremely pissed if its a problem with the rim as I paid a fortune for shipping & customs!

Heres the rub:

R to X conversion gone wrong? IMG_4155_zpsk6gxkduu

Here she is looking purdy:

R to X conversion gone wrong? IMG_4156_zps6iub8224
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 7:25 pm

What size rims did you get?

Stock widths are 3.0" front and 4.0" rear.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 2:44 am

Sheeeeit!

Rear = 4.25”
Front = 3.5”

Looks I’ve been shafted. I was in contact with a fella called Taylor, who was helpful enough. I was never asked for dimensions, and just told him I had a WRR and wanted supermoto rims with the smaller front rotor for it to be a straight swop. I was under the impression that Warp 9 have provided numerous supermoto rims for WR250R’s (and X’s) and that they would know the exact specifications. Looks like I was wrong!

Time for the emails to begin :(
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 2:40 pm

Hey all, quick update...I've been in touch with Warp 9, they've offered to pay to have the tire 'trued', which is nice.

Only thing is, the tire I have fitted is stock X size 110/70/17...when I measured the widest points I got 120mm.....which doesn't seem right? Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 3:24 pm

Tires vary in size from model to model, and different rimsizes also affect the meassures when mounted.

Some 120/xx tires is wider than 140/xx.
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 4:05 pm

Just noticed something while browsin' the site.....WR250R's have an additional 'ring' on that silver bit in the middle of the fork. Not sure what its called or its purpose, but thats the bit the tire is rubbing on. WTF....can I remove it and end my woes? Check the first pic in my original post. Thats the bit the X does not have.

An example...

R to X conversion gone wrong? 2014-010
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 4:19 pm

Been searching about for more info on this. I've found some WRR to X conversions with that rubber thing removed, and some that still have them fitted...

R to X conversion gone wrong? Motard11

R to X conversion gone wrong? Bikedone6_zpsf99af44a
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Certain model years had that, and some didn't.
My 2008 WR250R (and 2008 WR250X) did not have it.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 8:56 pm

beer goggle wrote:
Hey all, quick update...I've been in touch with Warp 9, they've offered to pay to have the tire 'trued', which is nice.

Only thing is, the tire I have fitted is stock X size 110/70/17...when I measured the widest points I got 120mm.....which doesn't seem right? Any thoughts?

The reason your tire is wider is because it's being stretched on the wider rim.

What do they mean by getting the tire trued? Are they planning to shave the edges off the tire?  scratch
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 10:07 am

Evol wrote:
beer goggle wrote:

The reason your tire is wider is because it's being stretched on the wider rim.

What do they mean by getting the tire trued? Are they planning to shave the edges off the tire?  scratch

I assume it means they will center the rim between the forks better. Easy to do by loosening spokes on one side and tightening on the other. Does not affect rotor, as that is attached to hub.
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Greetings....yes, as stated by dmmcd truing is the tightening/loosening of spokes in order to position the rim around the hub as needed. It makes sense, but I knew nothing about truing until recently. The guy at the shop showed me a race bicycle wheel he 'trued' where one side was practically flat and the other angled. This was for fitment purposes.

So I got rid of the black ring thing (easily came off, can re fit if/when I want) and went to see spoke master, brought it across a little more and everything was sorted.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 7:47 pm

Good to hear your bike is sorted out now.

I know about truing wheels, but beer had said "they're offered to pay to have the tire trued", hence my post about shaving the tire. And yes, I've seen retards do exactly that !!!!  baldy
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 8:02 pm

lol yeah. shaving was the last thing on my options list...heck I didn't event shave for my wedding afro

Taylor at Warp 9 offered to pay for the adjustment, for which I am grateful. I gotta say I was expecting a perfect set of rims that fit without any adjustment needed. Spoke master had a look at the rear and found a couple of spokes that were not tight to spec.

Aside from all that...great rims, great ride, great great great!!!
Back to top Go down
Rhys54790

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 6:48 pm

I have a 2014 wrr and my conversion went super smooth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R to X conversion gone wrong?   R to X conversion gone wrong? Empty

Back to top Go down

R to X conversion gone wrong?
Page 1 of 1