Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Clive Bixby

How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged? Empty
PostSubject: How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged?   How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged? EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 8:28 pm

I will be looking at a 2013 WR250R this coming Tuesday, to possibly buy.  Only has 1700 miles on it.  Talking with the owner to set up the meeting, he mentioned that the handlebars are bent from some fall he had, but he has a new set of Renthal bar and grips ready to be installed.  So I'm not worried about the bar itself.  Looking at his photos its hard to discern how much they are bent, possibly not much.

My concern whether or not the forks, triple trees, or bar risers are damaged.  Is there any way I can determine that just by looking at them and having a test ride?  Obviously if anything appears out of whack I'll assume they are bad/damaged, but is there anything else that I might not notice that would reveal that more is messed up than just the bar?

I tried, but for some reason I failed at inserting an image. baldy
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged?   How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged? EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 10:17 pm

The stock bars bend very easy, chances are that all that's bent.

If the forks are bent they wont compress properly, it'll be easy to spot.

Its also possible to twist the forks in the clamps crashing, to straighten them loosen all the clamp bolts and the axles pinch bolts, spin the wheel grab the front brake a couple of times, then bounce the front wheel up and down a couple of times then tighten everything back up. thumb
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged?   How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged? EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 1:34 pm

+1 on big lake's advice...  make sure you torque the fork clamping bolts to spec.. they are easy to over tighten.
Back to top Go down
Clive Bixby

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged?   How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 10:20 am

Thanks for the replies. Turns out he sold the bike before I could see it. Oh well, there's always next time.
Back to top Go down
Clive Bixby

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged?   How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged? EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 6:21 pm

Turns out he sold the bike before I could look at it. Just as well, I probably should wait a couple months before I buy a bike anyways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged?   How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to tell if forks/trees/risers are damaged?
Page 1 of 1