Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRR Gearing for highway speed

Go down 
+9
duanew
waltermitty
Jens Eskildsen
rsteiger
wwguy
Jäger
Fiftygrit
Evol
Gearbox94
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gearbox94

WRR Gearing for highway speed Empty
PostSubject: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 3:20 pm

Hey guys I'm just curious what gearing you're running at highway speeds. I have a 60 mile round trip commute to work at 70mph + and am worried my stock gearing might be a little tall for those speeds. I don't want the engine working to hard. Any gearing combinations that would bring down the rpms down and be less taxing on the engine? Thanks for any input guys!
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 4:35 pm

13-47 or 13-48 works pretty good for most riding.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 4:45 pm

I dont think the bike will pull much a lot taller than stock, but try with 2 less in the rear if you feel you have some power left to pull it....

70mph on stock gearing shouldnt be too bad...
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 4:57 pm

Fiftygrit wrote:
13-47 or 13-48 works pretty good for most riding.

The OP is worried the stock gearing is NOT tall enough for highway and you are suggesting a 47 or 48 in the rear? That will make it scream at highway speeds !!!
I know, as I had 13/48 on my WRX and it would be yelling at me at 60mph, screaming at 75mph and top out at 81mph. By contrast, with stock gearing I top out at 91mph due to the lack of power (RPMs are still fine).

Gearbox94: Stick with stock gearing for highway use. It's your best bet. Don't worry about the RPMs with stock gearing as it runs out of power before running out of gearing.
If your local traffic is running faster than you can keep up (like here in Montreal) get a different bike as the WRR/X is not suited for high speeds.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 9:21 pm

I would rather have it screem than having to shift into 5th all the time with a small hill or a very light head wind, they cant pull a fart out of a bag with stock gearing on a slight hill, at least mine with my slight frame of 205 wont hahaha.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 4:50 am

Fiftygrit wrote:
I would rather have it screem than having to shift into 5th all the time with a small hill or a very light head wind, they cant pull a fart out of a bag with stock gearing on a slight hill, at least mine with my slight frame of 205 wont hahaha.
True that.

At 70 MPH, a stock WR is going to be in a happy place. Or, at least as happy as a naked little 250 can be.

When the roads here aren't covered with ice and snow, I do a regular 2.5 hour commute up here in the mountains, running 14/49 gearing and usually settling in around 73 MPH by the GPS. With 14/49, the last gear works in more places than just perfectly flat stretches of road.

I don't think the OP has anything to worry about, and he definitely isn't going to be "taxing" his engine. Gearing Commander is your friend...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 11:09 am

13/43 stock gearing = 3.308 final drive ratio. Changing the final drive to a 3.5-3.7 ratio makes the bike a lot more versatile and makes 6th gear pull on more than flat ground. With stock diameter tires, 13/46 gets you 3.538, 14/49 gets you 3.5, etc. Somewhere around 3.5 is a much better overall ratio, while only raising 6th gear RPM a little. For a 250cc bike, you quickly get into straining against drag past 60MPH. RPM is your friend in that case, as it gets you a little higher in the RPM range where more power is made. As soon as you get some altitude and lose a bit of power, the stock gearing doesn't have enough power in 6th to pull a fat lady out of a buffet line. It's only a 250cc bike, it needs to spin a bit to make power. It is what it is.

I run 13/48 with a larger than stock diameter rear tire, which would be right at 13/47 with the stock diameter tire. Around 3.6 for a final drive will still do 70 comfortably on the slab, and be a lot more usable for trail work and hills. The bikes are geared tall from the factory. I'm sure that they'll get 71MPG at 60 MPH with stock gearing. I also know that dropping to 65MPG with more usable power is a lot more fun and won't hurt it a bit. Plus, it's safer if you ever want to pass anything.

Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 11:21 pm

I forgot to mention in my post that I run stock tire sizes.

The only thing I would add to the above post is, once you start running north of 60 MPH, the great gas mileage starts to go away pretty quickly. At gas prices these days, I doubt anybody cares about the cost. But that little stock gas tank gets empty WAY faster... matters in places like where I live where there isn't a gas station every 50 miles.

For the OP:

http://www.gearingcommander.com/
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 11:35 am

Fiftygrit wrote:

Does the OP have an X or an R model?

I run 13/48 on my R and it can pull a higher speed on the highway than with the stock gearing. While the motor may be turning faster, it is quite happy.

The X would be a different story since it has 17" wheels which means from a wheel stand point it is already geared lower than a R model.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 2:24 pm

rsteiger wrote:

I run 13/48 on my R and it can pull a higher speed on the highway than with the stock gearing.  While the motor may be turning faster, it is quite happy.

The X would be a different story since it has 17" wheels which means from a wheel stand point it is already geared lower than a R model.

A stock X has a 42 tooth rear sprocket with the 17" wheel, which gives it pretty much the same speed as a stock R with 43T and 18" wheel. For example, looking at Gearing Commander, at 8000 RPM in 6th gear the R should be doing about 75 MPH and the X should be doing about 74.3 MPH.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 8:23 am

wwguy wrote:
rsteiger wrote:

I run 13/48 on my R and it can pull a higher speed on the highway than with the stock gearing.  While the motor may be turning faster, it is quite happy.

A stock X has a 42 tooth rear sprocket with the 17" wheel, which gives it pretty much the same speed as a stock R with 43T and 18" wheel.  For example, looking at Gearing Commander, at 8000 RPM in 6th gear the R should be doing about 75 MPH and the X should be doing about 74.3 MPH.

Yes I know that..

I believe Evol is running an X model and his comment about 13/48 gearing making his bike scream at highway speed is probably correct since the baseline gearing is taller to accommodate the 17 inch wheels. But for a WRR the 13/48 would not be as drastic expecially if you are running a tall rear tire like a D606 or MT43.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 9:20 am

I ran 14/48 on my R with a knobbie, and felt like the bike was scream on the interstate (rode 2x 350km)
I think 14/46 (stock ratio) or even 14/45 would have been much better. The bike pulled fine up the hills, and with the wind against me.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
I ran 14/48 on my R with a knobbie, and felt like the bike was scream on the interstate (rode 2x 350km)
I think 14/46 (stock ratio) or even 14/45 would have been much better. The bike pulled fine up the hills, and with the wind against me.

I actually can pull a faster top speed in 6th with the 13/48 setup and definitely like it much better on the trails than the stock gearing.

I suspect that a good part of that is I am a big (old and fat) guy 1.8M and 114kg. I suspect if I was lighter that things may be a bit different.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 4:32 pm

Were not talking top speed, but cruising speed.

Im 6.04cm and 110kg in all the gear....I feel ya' Very happy

Currently Im at 14/49 for everyday and dualsport, and use 13 front for enduro and gnarly offroad.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 6:03 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
Im 6.04cm and 110kg in all the gear....I feel ya' Very happy

scratch
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 1:56 am

Haha, sorry, was halfway converting to feet. 204cm / 6.69 feet.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 8:20 am

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
Haha, sorry, was halfway converting to feet. 204cm / 6.69 feet.
Awesome.... I was thinking you were the world's heaviest G.I.Joe !!! LOL thumb
Back to top Go down
waltermitty

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 11:03 am

I have a suggestion and a comment.

There is no need to run 70 slow down to 60 and you will arrive five minutes later. Start five minutes earlier.

I run 14/42 on an X. It does well on the highway, will pick up the front wheel throttle only in first and tops out at 86 or so.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 2:59 pm

waltermitty wrote:

There is no need to run 70 slow down to 60 and you will arrive five minutes later. Start five minutes earlier.

I can think of few things more terrifying and possibly dangerous than riding a motorcycle down the freeway at 10 MPH under the speed limit.  Except maybe doing it every day.

And then there's this:
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/florida/2014/03/11/2027276/
Back to top Go down
waltermitty

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 4:30 pm

wwguy wrote:
waltermitty wrote:

I can think of few things more terrifying and possibly dangerous than riding a motorcycle down the freeway at 10 MPH under the speed limit.  Except maybe doing it every day.

And then there's this:

A load of crap. Do they even have freeways in Idaho? I've been all over the country and most of Mexico and Canada on a KLR rarely going over 65. Some of the freeways in Texas are 85 and I still have no difficulty going 60 - 65 safely. Much of the truck traffic is 65 or so. I also have a sportbike and a Corvette so I have no problem stepping it up to triple digits. As far as the left lane goes, it is for passing.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 6:03 pm

waltermitty wrote:
wwguy wrote:
waltermitty wrote:

And then there's this:

A load of crap. Do they even have freeways in Idaho? I've been all over the country and most of Mexico and Canada on a KLR rarely going over 65. Some of the freeways in Texas are 85 and I still have no difficulty going 60 - 65 safely. Much of the truck traffic is 65 or so. I also have a sportbike and a Corvette so I have no problem stepping it up to triple digits. As far as the left lane goes, it is for passing.

Right back atcha buttercup.  topes

We have 6 interstate highways, most of which have only two lanes in each direction with 80 MPH speed limit.  We also have 19 two-lane US Highways, many of which have 70 MPH speed limits.  People driving well below the speed limits are frequently considered by other drivers to be impeding the flow of traffic and thus contributing to unsafe driving conditions.  Some of those drivers are tolerant and patient... others not so much.  I have no doubt that you can ride safely at 65 MPH, but that doesn't the other motorists driving those big metal things will do the same.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 8:06 pm

The truck speed limit away from town is 70, and they frequently drive faster. The car speed limit is 80, and a large number drive faster. At 60 you're a speed bump. 70 is slllooooow out in the open areas.
Back to top Go down
waltermitty

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 8:22 pm

We have concealed (and open) carry in Texas most folks are polite. Last time I was in Idaho I remember going though Salmon, birth place of Sacagawea. How's she doing. I was on my way back from Alaska. I don't remember any trucks trying to run me down. I don't remember much traffic of any kind. I thought parts of Texas were empty.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 11:29 pm

waltermitty wrote:

I run 14/42 on an X. It does well on the highway, will pick up the front wheel throttle only in first and tops out at 86 or so.

You may want to check those numbers. They don't look quite right.
Back to top Go down
waltermitty

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 3:36 am

Unless the GPS is wrong they are dead on. My rev limiter hits a 10,800, bike tops out around 9k where max hp is. I also have 12 o'clock labs speedo healer and cruse it at 60 mph on the highway. I actually have two WR250Xs, '09 and '10. The '10 is completely stock. The '09 is 14/42 Staintune a FMC programmer. I have a couple of other motorcycles I have check them with, a '07 KLR and '12 Versys. If what I posted is off it is not much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRR Gearing for highway speed   WRR Gearing for highway speed Empty

Back to top Go down

WRR Gearing for highway speed
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next