Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Newbie from San diego

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bobsci

PostSubject: Newbie from San diego   Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:48 am

I first bought a TW200 for desert exploration and before i could get a motorcycle carrier on the back of my sprinter van i found out about the "Trans American Trail" while drinking one night and google searching "Dirt Roads Across America". I then discovered Big Dog's website and GPS Kevin's website and realized a WR250R was what i really needed. I'm 55 years old and retired, I put over 200,000 miles on street bikes in my youth by not getting a license for a car until i was 28 years old and my government job required it. Then came the house and daughter's and the Harley was sold for a down payment on a little pink house. that was 18 years ago, girls are almost grown up, I'm retired and i just discovered theres a thing called adventure riding and a bunch of old guys tearing up the country on dirt roads with something they call GPS? So i drove half way to los angeles and picked me up a 2008 WR250R with 1,800 miles. I'm in the process of getting a list together of gear and stuff i will need to outfit the bike for long distance adventure riding. I pulled the covers off the bike today and noticed the air box has been modified (holes Drilled in cover)and what looks like a K&N filter. The exhuast cables to the EXPUT are zip-tyed to the frame as well. Its got a steering stabilizer and fat Renthal bars. stainless steel brakelines, smaller aftermarket turnsignals and brake light, Bark-Busters and a horn that sounds like a vespa. It also came with a DRD exhaust in a box, its currently running the stock exhaust. I don't know shit about dirt riding but i'm sure i will figure it out. I can't understand why it doesn't have a tach? I'm impressed with the 6 speed gear box and fuel injection, but For the life of me i cant find the friggin petcock on this beast. I plan to get some dirt time in and head out to explore the entire South west of this country and Baja before i do the "BIG DIRT NAP".
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from San diego   Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:04 pm

Welcome everything you want to know about the bike here. if not, post it up? thumb
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from San diego   Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:44 pm

No petcock, fuel injected, I myself would get rid of the K&N air filter, when they get dirty they suck dirt into the intake system, not good. if you keep them real clean and dont over oil they work, but a lot of work, cheer`s, enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Bobsci

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from San diego   Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:21 am

I was thinking the same about the K&N filter, I'll go back to stock on the air filter unless theres something better thats aftermarket. I'm having trouble deciding if i want to remove the Air and Exhuast systems (AIS & EXUP) and run the DRD pipe that came in a box with the bike. From what I've read about opening up the intake and exhaust I would need to purchase a controller box to adjust the fuel mixtures. I'm wondering just how much more HP would be gained? I'm probably going to purchase a side air box cover thats not drilled out. I also noticed the flapper was zip tied open and the vacuum can was removed from the top of the box still connected and stuffed in a space under the seat. I guess I'll keep reading all the Mod posts and make a decision on what direction i should go. My main desire is reliability and simplicity.
Back to top Go down
TioJose

PostSubject: mine stay put   Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:42 am

Hi there,
I have decided to leave it stock.
Normal driving its sufficient.
Racing it comes alive at high rpms.
That will stay as a major i.m.o.
Only thing that will give true torque and power at lower rpm is big bore kit.
Dont want to effect the fuel range.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from San diego   Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:28 pm

Ya im stock also, all that money to get maybe 2 to 4 hp, work the suspension that will give you more bang for the buck, I put hand guards small c baily windshield, seat concepts seat cover and giant loop bags and she good to go bush and street. cheer`s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from San diego   

Back to top Go down

Newbie from San diego
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1