Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

oil level rises... Warranty runs up soon?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dicklane625

dicklane625

oil level rises... Warranty runs up soon? Empty
PostSubject: oil level rises... Warranty runs up soon?   oil level rises... Warranty runs up soon? EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 6:10 pm

I have a 2015 wr. My warranty is almost up but my oil level rises on it's own sometimes. I can notice the bike run differently when it does n normally the oil smells a lil like gas. It doesn't always do it or I just would have brought it in already. I've noticed if I remember not to shut it off with the kick stand it stays the same. I don't know if the kickstand kills the ignition but allows the injector to stay open for a rev or two? It doesn't seem to me like that would add anything to the oil but when I ride a lot n remember to put in in neutral it stays the same. I've always changed it out right away when I noticed it... I always run 90+ ethanol free gas, I know it calls for 91 it doesn't ping on the 90 by me tho... Any one else have an issue like this. I don't know if it matters but the dealer I bought it from said to run 10w-40 n I have. I found a different number suggested in another thread on here tho.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: oil level rises... Warranty runs up soon?   oil level rises... Warranty runs up soon? EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 7:11 pm

Hmmm I have a 2012 and have noticed similar behavior.

First thing is to take into consideration when you are checking the oil. If the engine is cold and the oil is at a certain level don't be surprised if you see it at a higher level after you have been riding and the oil is warm. As the engine oil warms up it expands so that part is normal. I usually check the oil level cold before I ride and as along as it is good I don't worry about it.

Next thing is to be aware of where you are checking it and if the bike is loaded up with gear. My bike is kept on a covered patio and I have one spot where I do my oil checks with the bike in the same location. My patio has you typical drainage slope to it and if I check the bike with the front wheel going up the slope I get a different reading than if I check it with the front wheel going down the slope. So basically I always check the oil level with the bike perpendicular to the slope of the patio.

Lastly make sure to take into account the condition of the tires. If I have a fairly worn rear tire and replace it with a new rear tire my oil level will appear to have gone up.

So at the end of the day always be consistent with how you check the oil level and for me as long as it is between the two marks on the sight glass I just go out and ride.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: oil level rises... Warranty runs up soon?   oil level rises... Warranty runs up soon? EmptyFri Dec 02, 2016 9:37 pm

I probably change my oil every 500-700 miles... Could be just me but I feel a difference around that point... I check it in the same spot with the engine warm... Warm is specified in the manual. I was always told too much oil is worse than too little, and oil like most things expands when heated... Random note, KTM's are odd compared to what I'm used to. The 625 I had, had two oil windows. One for checking level and one for making sure it had flow on the other side. The one for checkin the level had an upper and lower mark, the lower was for checking it cold and upper for hot.... Never saw that much movement so I kept it in the middle... They put the kick starter on the wrong side of the bike... I will never understand that....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil level rises... Warranty runs up soon?   oil level rises... Warranty runs up soon? Empty

Back to top Go down

oil level rises... Warranty runs up soon?
Page 1 of 1