Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Newbie from Canada could use some help

Go down 
+3
BCRider
saddletramp
Fiftygrit
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Newbie from Canada could use some help Empty
PostSubject: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 10:44 pm

I found this forum not too long ago as I was researching on the WR250's.
I started off with a generic dual sport hunt, did my homework and I have landed on the WR250's.
What I am not able to make up my mind is if I want the "R" or the "X".
I come from the cruiser world, I've always wanted to try a dual sport and this year is my chance. I am completely new to the terms "enduro", "supermoto" and so on. I am trying to learn as I dig in more.
I am currently looking at 2 used bikes locally and I cant make up my mind which one to go for.
The 1st bike is a 2010 250R with half the kms as the next one which is a 2008 250X.
When I started my hunt I thought I knew I wanted the "R" but now I am tempted with what the "X" can do and also with the looks.
I am well aware of what both bikes are intended for, is there anything else I need to keep in mind while making the decision?
For instance: I keep thinking a big tire like the one's on the "X" is probably gonna slow me down specially on a 250 engine, maybe the "R" might be a better choice to have as much power as i can get on this engine. And I have lots more that gets into my head to make the decision making process confusing.
Would you guys be kind enough to simplify things and help me make a decision please?
I will mostly use it in the city, probably more on paved roads than anything but I also will definitely try off-roading too so I don't wanna limit my options.
I personally am tempted to go with the 250X.

Any suggestions, directions or recommendations are greatly encouraged.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 10:52 pm

You can get either, and pick up an extra set of wheels and tires for on road or off, best of both worlds.
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 8:48 am

This is sort of like a tire discussion in that it completely depends on what you want to use the bike for, and what limitations you are willing to accept. There are some folks who put some knobbies on their X so they are not restricted only to pavement, and some who put more street oriented tires on their R if that is the milieu where they will be using the bike. Spend some time and really decide on what you want to do with the bike. Personally the most important factor for me is that I do not want to be restricted on my useage. For example I do not want to be in street setup or touring mode and not be able to take that little knarly but awesome road off to the left it it suits my fancy.

Also helpful for us to know where you are located as there may be some local folks who you can hook up with for more detailed discussion than what a forum permits.

And, welcome to the site !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 10:17 am

Fiftygrit wrote:
You can get either, and pick up an extra set of wheels and tires for on road or off, best of both worlds.

Is it that easy to just swap? I believe I read something about the breaks needing modifications if I swap out the tires, true?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 11:02 am

saddletramp wrote:
This is sort of like a tire discussion in that it completely depends on what you want to use the bike for, and what limitations you are willing to accept.  There are some folks who put some knobbies on their X so they are not restricted only to pavement, and some who put more street oriented tires on their R if that is the milieu where they will be using the bike.  Spend some time and really decide on what you want to do with the bike.  Personally the most important factor for me is that I do not want to be restricted on my useage.  For example I do not want to be in street setup or touring mode and not be able to take that little knarly but awesome road off to the left it it suits my fancy.

Also helpful for us to know where you are located as there may be some local folks who you can hook up with for more detailed discussion than what a forum permits.

And, welcome to the site !  

Thanks for the welcome!
I live in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada Canuckistani . Local help always appreciated.

As I've mentioned before, I am personally drawn towards the "X" but before I jump on it I just wanted to make sure I am making the right choice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 11:34 am

The front brake rotor is larger on the x model, and the wheels are both 17". The gearing is one tooth different on the rear sprocket for the smaller diameter x wheels from the factory. If you get a set of x wheels for the r, you can get a caliper spacer for the front caliper to use the larger diameter rotor. I'd go with the later model, lower milage bike, then work with it if the price is similar. You might find that with 50/50 tires on iit, the dual sport version is surprisingly fun on the street, while being able to hit that trail you spotted when you're out on a ride.
Back to top Go down
BCRider

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 11:57 am

Get an R... trails are always more fun than pavement thumb
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 2:09 pm

BCRider wrote:
Get an R... trails are always more fun than pavement thumb
Trails are fun, but the OP mentioned that he (she?) would be riding mainly in the city and mainly on paved streets. This is what the X is made for and would also be easier to ride with it's bigger front brake and lower seat height. I know Mississauga (my in-laws used to live there) and while there are some trails to ride, it's mostly tame paths etc which is very easily ridden on the X's street tires !!!

Honestly, I would go for an X, but....I also know that having a newer, lower mileage bike is always appealing, even though these bikes laugh at mileage (very durable & low maintenance).
Ultimately it is your choice, and your money, but I would wait for either a newer X or a very clean X.
/My opinion...

P.S. I know I'm biased since I have an X, but I got my X because I knew I would be riding the street most of the time and I've done more than a few days in the dirt with it.
Gravel roads, dirt roads, loose sand, grass, fields, water crossings, rocky hills (up and down), etc. all with street tires. The only thing I would not suggest is mud. Street tires and mud don't play well together...
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 10:15 pm

I personally like the looks of the X's black frame. Pair it up with some appropriate tires and enjoy thumb
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 11:44 pm

If you know for a fact you are going to get two sets of tires in the future, go with an X.

Few Reasons:
1) You like the X paint scheme, and they are not making these bikes anymore.
2) They are still making the R so your chances of finding a set of R wheels with brake caliper and lever will be easier than an X setup.
3) X wheels tend to go more than R wheels.

These are the reasons I went with an X... TWICE! .. I was able to find a set of R wheels and brake setup no problems. When I sold the bike and bought another one two years later.. I was still able to find ANOTHER r wheel setup with brake assembly.

my 2cents.
Back to top Go down
CanadianWR250

CanadianWR250

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 3:23 pm

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
I personally like the looks of the X's black frame. Pair it up with some appropriate tires and enjoy thumb

I like bow the black frame too
Back to top Go down
CanadianWR250

CanadianWR250

PostSubject: Thank You!   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks to everyone for your tips & suggestions.
I've decided to go with the 250x but damn! its hard to find.
I manged to find 2 different 2008's with 20K+ kms with a lot of mods that's been discussed here for $4500[CAD].
Worth it?
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm planning to sell my '10 WRX, but I guess I'm a bit far away for you...

I'd say that price it high btw...I'd expect a lot less mileage for that price. I'm just over 10k Km with all the standard mods and all original parts included for that price, I could drop down to $4k.
Back to top Go down
CanadianWR250

CanadianWR250

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 4:39 pm

Evol wrote:
I'm planning to sell my '10 WRX, but I guess I'm a bit far away for you...

I'd say that price it high btw...I'd expect a lot less mileage for that price. I'm just over 10k Km with all the standard mods and all original parts included for that price, I could drop down to $4k.

Will send you a PM
Back to top Go down
CanadianWR250

CanadianWR250

PostSubject: Thank You!   Newbie from Canada could use some help EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the info and directions guys., Appreciate it!
I went with the X
Here's my new ride
2008 WR250X
Newbie from Canada could use some help Fullsi10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Canada could use some help   Newbie from Canada could use some help Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Canada could use some help
Page 1 of 1