Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)

Go down 
+3
YZEtc
VW_Lee
Carlos Thomas
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas

Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) Empty
PostSubject: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) EmptySat Mar 26, 2016 6:39 pm

My 2015 WR250R has 750 miles on it.  At 300 miles, I noticed oil near the front sprocket area, which I though was just dirt/grease off of the chain.  And at 609 miles I noticed a sound.  I recorded it.  Let me know your thoughts.

Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) Leak_v10
Back to top Go down
VW_Lee

VW_Lee

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 1:58 am

Is it still under warranty? I would be taking it to the dealer stat!

Lee
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 10:07 pm

I paused the video and enlarged it. It looks like there is oil on top of motor by starter. Is this true? Where is the oil coming from? Have you checked the oil flow bolt on the upper back side of the motor?
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 10:19 pm

Did you lube your chain recently?
Back to top Go down
Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 12:41 am

I took it to the dealer. They said the grease/grime is from over lubracation of the chain. The sound they said was normal as the front sprocket cover is not there to protect the sound. The sound is coming from the front sprocket when it receives each link in the chain. I ran the motor with no chain to see if the bearing made a noise. No noise.  I put the stock front sprocket back on (from 14/50 to 13/50) and the sound is still there...maybe slightly reduced. I cleaned the chain properly. I also ordered another front sprocket to match the chain manufacturer (Primary Drive) hoping that it will result in a perfect match.

Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) Image10

Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) Image11
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 7:00 am

You will always ear that whine from the front sprocket with a non-stock sprocket that doesn't use a rubber damper on it like the original does.
That's one of the sources of noise Yamaha Motor Co. in Japan has to address when producing the bike for sale.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 9:03 pm

I had the problem of over lubing my chain last summer. Was worried about it getting dry. They really make a mess when overlubed. Now when I lube the chain, I use a rag and make sure to wipe all excess off.
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) EmptySun May 22, 2016 7:51 am

Mine had a leaking CS seal when new. Dealer replaced it under warranty (in 2013) and no problems since.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) EmptyMon May 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Carlos Thomas wrote:
I took it to the dealer. They said the grease/grime is from over lubracation of the chain. The sound they said was normal as the front sprocket cover is not there to protect the sound. The sound is coming from the front sprocket when it receives each link in the chain. I ran the motor with no chain to see if the bearing made a noise. No noise.  I put the stock front sprocket back on (from 14/50 to 13/50) and the sound is still there...maybe slightly reduced. I cleaned the chain properly. I also ordered another front sprocket to match the chain manufacturer (Primary Drive) hoping that it will result in a perfect match.

I wouldn't worry about the grease in your photo though it does seem like you're overdoing the chain lube a bit.  If you're concerned just keep an eye on your oil level and watch for leaks in the garage--an oil leak will pool in the garage coat the underside if the bike etc while excess chain lube generally will not.

You might try a chain lube that flings less but really chains are just messy and crud tends to collect around the front sprocket.  I like Maxima chain wax myself as I feel it sticks to the chain better.

13/50 is pretty short gearing for a WRR unless you ride a lot off road.  a 14 front sprocket will work fine on the WRR with at least the sandman guard but it is on the large side for the space.  I've had a 14 on my WRR for thousands of miles--it causes the chain to hit the sandman guard a bit but  it works just fine.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) EmptyWed May 25, 2016 1:54 am

The sound was normal and the grease/oil was too much lube.  In regards to the front sprocket, I have the 14/50 setup and the 13/50 setup. I went from stock to 14/50. I loved it. Did one off road trip and I was between 1 and 2 a lot less than stock. That made it a lot better. Then I went to 13/50 for my last two off-road adventures and I really preferred the 13/50 off-road (80% off road). I am more in 3rd gear.  Not as jerky as the lower gears. When I ride on the pavement I thought I would not like 13/50. I use all 6 gears consistently while riding around town and in the hills. I don't ride on the freeway.  I normally don't ride faster than 65 mph on open stretches. So I am finding the 13/50 fine on the pavement. Basically my plan is to look at the next planned trip and then adjust to 13 or 14 up front. Then just keep it like that until the next trip. But I have not changed it back yet. If I do an adventure/dual sport trip that has 50%+ pavement, I will put the 14 on.  The guys I ride with have DRZ 400's (x3), KLR 250 and XT225. So going north of 65 mph is rare when I ride with my close buddies.

Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) E5F95C93-4D93-479B-AEC9-4FF6CA7248D8_zpsoywlxgju

Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) 31BE6496-E743-4F99-9C13-838613721912_zpsycccrnbt
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) EmptyWed May 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Great photos! thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)   Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included) Empty

Back to top Go down

Problem with my Front Sprocket (Video Included)
Page 1 of 1