Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

mpg is troubling

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stillwater97

mpg is troubling Empty
PostSubject: mpg is troubling   mpg is troubling EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 9:57 pm

so, I have a 2008 wrr with powerbomb, q4, fmf, geared 13/48.. with speedo drd gps calibrated.. stock tank

based on the I'm getting 70-75 miles until the red light, then 20 miles until bingo fuel.

I'm confused as to the mpg I'm seeing online and my real world experience.

are my mods killing my mpg that much?

what am I missing?
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

mpg is troubling Empty
PostSubject: Re: mpg is troubling   mpg is troubling EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 10:12 pm

Yes.

It's also the de-calibrated odometer which is skewing the reading.

FWIW, I get ~90 km (56 mi) before the light turns on.
Back to top Go down
Stillwater97

mpg is troubling Empty
PostSubject: Re: mpg is troubling   mpg is troubling EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 9:34 am

thanks for the info!

sounds like my FE is not terrible all things considered..

Is the non calibrated Odometer over estimating, or under estimating miles traveled? guessing it is overestimating

Back to top Go down

mpg is troubling Empty
PostSubject: Re: mpg is troubling   mpg is troubling EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 9:45 am

Other way round. It's underestimating mileage, which is why your fuel mileage looks worse. The stock speedo reads high, and with the Speedo Dr, getting it to read correctly shifts the mileage travelled down the percentage of the speedo error. Typically around 7%, which is significant. If it's off 7 percent in 100 miles and you use 2 gallons of gas (example), your true mileage would be 50 MPG but the error makes it look like you only got 46.5 (93 miles indicated). The average on the 12 o'clock labs website shows a 7.7% error for the stock speedo, but that's an average. Some seem to do better, some seem to do worse.

On mine, I have the speedo corrected for the larger rear tire and the gearing, and the speedo is correct. However, it's off a solid 7% on the mileage. Stock it was off a hair over 7% versus GPS speed, so mine was right about typical for error. I just multiply my mileage by 7% when I check fuel mileage now. Uncorrected I was down in the 55-60MPG range (on road and offroad mix). Corrected It's more like 58-64 which is about what I would have expected with the gearing change. If I'm mostly running it offroad, I can get under 50 no problem. I can get the fuel light with the 3.1 gallon tank at about the 90 mile indicated mark. That's about 2.2 gallons as I have about .9 left at the low fuel light.

Back to top Go down
Stillwater97

mpg is troubling Empty
PostSubject: Re: mpg is troubling   mpg is troubling EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 9:55 am

thanks for that explanation.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

mpg is troubling Empty
PostSubject: Re: mpg is troubling   mpg is troubling EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 3:51 pm

You have to put in all the changes you've made...

For me, it works out to a difference of -22.7% !!!!!!
13/42 vs 13/48
140/70/17 vs 150/60/17
plus the "stock" 7.7%

Link: http://www.12oclocklabs.com/sdrd_calc.htm
Back to top Go down

mpg is troubling Empty
PostSubject: Re: mpg is troubling   mpg is troubling EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 5:36 pm

Yeah, mines at -14.7% currently. I think -15% would be perfect compared to gps. It's only off a hair right now.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

mpg is troubling Empty
PostSubject: Re: mpg is troubling   mpg is troubling EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Yeah, I put in the 22.7 % and verified it with GPS. It was dead on. thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

mpg is troubling Empty
PostSubject: Re: mpg is troubling   mpg is troubling EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 9:29 am

Not so much concerned with mpg's - far more concerned with spg's.

(smiles per gallon) thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mpg is troubling Empty
PostSubject: Re: mpg is troubling   mpg is troubling Empty

Back to top Go down

mpg is troubling
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum