Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Metal whirring noise

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gmfm86

Metal whirring noise Empty
PostSubject: Metal whirring noise   Metal whirring noise EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 6:00 pm

Hey everyone I'm pretty new to bikes especially fuel injected ones. I picked up an 08 wr250x with 9xxx mi. I noticed at idle there's a metal ghost whirring noise going on around the top end more noticeable on the right side. I didn't know if this is normal or if it is a problem someone else has ran into.

I did change the oil in it and I am unaware if any mods have been done to it yet. Haven't really had a chance to check it out too much.
Back to top Go down
Gmfm86

PostSubject: Re: Metal whirring noise   Metal whirring noise EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 6:24 pm

I can't post a link to the video since I'm within my 7 day forum restriction. But a simple google search of "wr250x whirring" brings up my video on YouTube.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Metal whirring noise   Metal whirring noise EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Remove the skid plate and test again.
Back to top Go down
Gmfm86

PostSubject: Re: Metal whirring noise   Metal whirring noise EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 8:03 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Remove the skid plate and test again.

Ok next time I make it home(Friday) I'll try. it does have a flatlands skid plate on it. Thanks for the reply
Back to top Go down
Diamond K

Diamond K

PostSubject: Re: Metal whirring noise   Metal whirring noise EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 9:31 pm

I second the skid plate. It is an easy test by taking it off and riding it. My son stopped riding his WR because of a noise we couldn't isolate. It was skid plate vibration at low rpms. Put some garden hose washers between the frame and the skid plate and it was all good. I think we used 8 washers at the points that showed wear on the aluminum (black spots).

I need to do it to mine now. I took it in for the stator recall and the shop guys didn't put the washers back in place.
Back to top Go down
Gmfm86

PostSubject: Re: Metal whirring noise   Metal whirring noise EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 9:37 pm

Diamond K wrote:
I second the skid plate. It is an easy test by taking it off and riding it. My son stopped riding his WR because of a noise we couldn't isolate. It was skid plate vibration at low rpms. Put some garden hose washers between the frame and the skid plate and it was all good. I think we used 8 washers at the points that showed wear on the aluminum (black spots).

I need to do it to mine now. I took it in for the stator recall and the shop guys didn't put the washers back in place.

Yeah I'm starting to feel reassured and hoping it's the skid plate(lots of forum searching now). If it is the skid plate I probably won't mess with it for awhile as long as I know that the noise is caused from it. I would kick myself in the ass if I bought a bike that had to be fixed before rid'n. I read about the noise from skid plates but never in one post did anyone say what it sounded like.
Back to top Go down
VW_Lee

VW_Lee

PostSubject: Re: Metal whirring noise   Metal whirring noise EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 am

The skid plate can definitely cause / amplify / reflect a lot of different noises.  If removing it doesn't make the noise go away, see if this matches what you're hearing:

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t4395-engine-noise-please-listen

Lee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal whirring noise   Metal whirring noise Empty

Back to top Go down

Metal whirring noise
Page 1 of 1