Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

rear sprocket size

Go down 
+5
Fiftygrit
Biglake
Diamond K
05cr125r
littleblue
9 posters
AuthorMessage
littleblue

rear sprocket size Empty
PostSubject: rear sprocket size   rear sprocket size EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 3:35 pm

I just took ownership of a 2103 WR250R that has had the rear sprocket changed out.  I think the front is a 13 and the rear is a 49.  It seems I am out of first gear BEFORe I hardly get rolling.  

Is this rear too big and what should it be changed to?  

What came stock on the bike?  I understand the OEM one was too tall.  Correct?  I plan on road as well as forest service road riding.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
05cr125r

05cr125r

rear sprocket size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear sprocket size   rear sprocket size EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 3:51 pm

43 is stock...48 is very popular. myself i run 46. great on the street and enough punch in the slow trails. i didn't have a problem running stock in the tight stuff either.
Back to top Go down
Diamond K

Diamond K

rear sprocket size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear sprocket size   rear sprocket size EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 7:39 pm

I swapped out my 43 for a 48 too. The 43 was fine if you weren't doing a lot of true off road and required down shifting in the hills, 6th gear didn't get a lot of use for me. My son and I both switched out the 43 to 48. It all depends on what type of riding you do.

I have a 43 that I would trade for the 49 if you want.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

rear sprocket size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear sprocket size   rear sprocket size EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Try a 14 tooth front sprocket with the 49 tooth rear, this is cheaper, easier than changing the rear and keeps the chain from wearing the slider, its a win, win.

I run 14-50 for mixed riding and little to no highway riding, I tried 13-50 but found first too slow to use much at all and 6th too slow on the road too, 13-48 was alright too and just a little lower geared than 14-50.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

rear sprocket size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear sprocket size   rear sprocket size EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 8:46 pm

Yup the 47 to 49 with a 13 front seems to be the best of on and off road, I would not go to a 12 on the front seems to be too much ware on the swingarm slides.
Back to top Go down
ejfranz1

ejfranz1

rear sprocket size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear sprocket size   rear sprocket size EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 9:36 am

I have changed from a 12 - 48 to a 12 - 50 for trail riding ( tight, steep and roots ).
Bike is still able to do 60 mph. I also have 13 and 14 for the front if I am riding more road.
The lower gearing was great on the Oregon dune - hill climbs were done in 3rd with 2nd available for the last 1/3 of the hill. With the 12-48, 2nd was used and we were not always successful.
I have over 10000 Kms with a 12 tooth front and have minimal lowere swing arm wear.
Having too tight of chain promotes the wear.
Back to top Go down
darngood1

darngood1

rear sprocket size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear sprocket size   rear sprocket size EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 4:57 pm

I 2nd BigLake's sage advice.  Try a 14T front with your existing rear for all-around use, and switch back to the 13T for pure off road trips.

The ratio you will get with 14/49 is just a little steeper than stock 13/43 (which most agree is too wimpy anyway).  

I'm guessing you have a 112 chain, and should be able to run both the 13T and 14T fronts with it to affect your gearing.

Now all you need to do is fight the little b__s__d tabs that lock the nut to the output shaft!  wink
Back to top Go down
dartmouth01

rear sprocket size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear sprocket size   rear sprocket size EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 1:32 am

I recently changed my WRX with Shinko 244's on the 17" rims from the stock 43 to 48. I almost wish I went with a 47, the 48 seems like I'm revving the piss out of the bike when on the highway ( I need to check my rpms via the C1 mod next time I take it on the road). Though the 48 does do very nicely on the dirt, so I'm going to keep it for now.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

rear sprocket size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear sprocket size   rear sprocket size EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 7:10 pm

13\48 works good for me......I do about 50 50 road vs. dirt ......I
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

rear sprocket size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear sprocket size   rear sprocket size Empty

Back to top Go down

rear sprocket size
Page 1 of 1