Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What does a suspension shop really do?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
srileo

What does a suspension shop really do? Empty
PostSubject: What does a suspension shop really do?   What does a suspension shop really do? EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 12:34 am

Hi all
I've had my WR for some time now and i love that it takes me places where i never dared take my previous DR650. However, while at the n00b rally this month i noticed other bikes of various makes seemed to really have excellent suspension set up done to them. I have never touched my suspension other than change out the rear spring.

So...in order to up my game a bit this year, i want to get my suspension sorted out and put a Scotts damper on. I have been advised to dial in the suspension first before adding the damper.

So... it looks like there are 2 choices :go to a suspension shop and have them revalve for you.
or
order a bunch of Racetech kits and take them to a mechanic to have installed (cheaper option). A friend of mine is a good mechanic, and can do the racetech install, but i am wondering if a suspension shop does something special that is better?
From what i read, a suspension shop either has a special formula, or a custom part such as Go Race, or they know what racetech components to order and simply use their experience and wisdom to install it all for you.

Can anyone tell me if i am thinking correctly? I do want to save money and would prefer having my local mechanic do the install. But if a suspension shop has some magic formula, then i am willing to drink that kool-aid.

Finally, i live in San Francisco. Any advise on a good suspension shop around here would be great.

shridhar

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: What does a suspension shop really do?   What does a suspension shop really do? EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 6:51 am

I'd go the suspension shop route, as they'll not only be able to swap the parts and put everything back together, but be able to use their experience for the fine-tuning of your particular settings.
Settings?
Do some reading or watch a video on revalving dirt bike forks and shocks, and you'll realize there's a lot of ways to change the settings.

When I bought my 2008 WR250X (used), the rear shock was leaking oil past the shaft seal, so I sent it to Go Race suspension in Va., a regarded shop with WR250R and X suspension setup.
It came back with a spring suited for my weight and other mods internally that were recommended, and it worked excellently.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What does a suspension shop really do?   What does a suspension shop really do? EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 11:44 am

Been doing this awhile, and have learned over the years that there are things to mess with yourself, and things not to. The rear shock has a couple issues from the factory, that the suspension shops will fix if you send them the shock. The piston is not tight tolerance between the inner shock body and the pistons, which allows oil to travel around it undamped. The seal for the shock rod is on the large side, so can start to seep or leak prematurely. There isn't enough oil in the shock from the factory, and the bleeding process is tough to do without the proper equipment. Yes, you can get the parts, but without the skill set to install them properly you're not getting the most out of it. The valving is lousy from the factory for aggressive riding.

Just getting the rear shock to work makes a big difference. If you can afford to do only one end, that's the end to do. The forks can be tuned around a bit to at least make them work okay for you even without a spring change. Springs for your weight/riding style along with better valving and low friction seals make them work pretty darned well in my opinion. If you want to learn about shim stacks, valving and oil weights on your own, the front shocks are the place to learn because they aren't under 200 psi of nitrogen pressure.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What does a suspension shop really do?   What does a suspension shop really do? Empty

Back to top Go down

What does a suspension shop really do?
Page 1 of 1