Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 
 

 Clip or rivet type master link....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CRFan1




PostSubject: Clip or rivet type master link....   Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:45 am

I know a lot of people have changed their sprockets and chains and I was wondering if you guys are using a clip or rivet type master link on your bikes?
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:07 am

Oh boy. hide

Some say rivet only, and that clip will explode killing you and all of your close relatives. Some have had bad experience with clips coming off.

Personally, I used a clip style last time. I used to use a rivet style on my SV650. Both do the job. If done right, a clip should be fine. Some also put some safety wire or RTV silicone over the clip as extra security.
Back to top Go down
CRFan1




PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:17 am

Haha...yeah I typically use rivet type only on my street bikes and I was just asking cause the WR isn't exactly a powerhouse, hehe. I will just do a rivet style and call it a day :)
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:40 am

I have used the clip type for about 50 years now, as long as you put it together the right way I dont see a problem.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:05 am

Let the War Commence!

Rivet or clip, you should probably as what oil is the best to use too.. LOL

Ok I have used both and have had less trouble with the clip style but that is due to the one time I over-pressed the rivet link on my DL650 and created a tight spot on the chain. I would chock that up to Operator error except then I would probably chock up some of the clip style links popping off to operator error as well.

Right now I run the clip style links on all my bikes - bear in mind none of them are high HP bikes. If I still had my VFR750 I would probably be running a rivet style link on that bike.

One of my friends had his clip style link pop off. Upon further investigation it was revealed that he was regularly removing his chain for cleaning and I really don't think that the clip style link is really meant for multiple installs. Same for most of your electrical connectors on your bike. They generally are only meant for a couple of installs and after that the internal spring forces begin to drop off.
Back to top Go down
CRFan1




PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:20 am

rsteiger wrote:
Let the War Commence!

Rivet or clip, you should probably as what oil is the best to use too.. LOL

Ok I have used both and have had less trouble with the clip style but that is due to the one time I over-pressed the rivet link on my DL650 and created a tight spot on the chain.  I would chock that up to Operator error except then I would probably chock up some of the clip style links popping off to operator error as well.

Right now I run the clip style links on all my bikes - bear in mind none of them are high HP bikes.  If I still had my VFR750 I would probably be running a rivet style link on that bike.

One of my friends had his clip style link pop off.  Upon further investigation it was revealed that he was regularly removing his chain for cleaning and I really don't think that the clip style link is really meant for multiple installs.  Same for most of your electrical connectors on your bike.  They generally are only meant for a couple of installs and after that the internal spring forces begin to drop off.

This is exactly why I am asking YOU guys. I am 51 and been riding 30 years. I have used both but only use rivet style links on my street bikes. Like I said, the WRR is no powerhouse so I was more curious what others here have done here. I am picking my bike up Sunday and there will be a 48 tooth sprocket change not far behind, lol. Reckon I will just put a clip link on it. lurk
Back to top Go down
wwguy

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:57 am

Rivet type for me. The majority of my riding is solo in remote and rugged country. Although unlikely, a chain failure on a ride can mean a 20+ mile hike out to the nearest road, or waiting for hours for friends to rally in response to a SPOT Messenger satellite message. While the odds of a properly installed clip link failing on a ride are low, the odds of a properly installed rivet link failing are even lower.
Back to top Go down
CRFan1




PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:17 am

Just put my 48 tooth JT rear sprocket and DID x ring gold chain on last night. Used a rivet style link to be safe. This bike should have come with this gearing...it drives out of corners, has excellent mid range and 6th gear is actually usable now, lol. Seems it will do 60-65 all day....I also put on my DRD speedo healer yesterday an d the Speedo is spot on now.

Happy camper!
Back to top Go down
dfoustou




PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Fiftygrit wrote:
I have used the clip type for about 50 years now, as long as you put it together the right way I dont see a problem.

+1 for clip.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen




PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:33 am

I use clip, and smear a little rtv on the sideplate before I install the clip.
Back to top Go down
jbwi112




PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:25 am

I have dropped a clip twice in my life, leaving me stranded on a kdx400 and xr100, and thats with the clip "U" pointed forward when on top of swingarm

I bought the rivet link and tool for my wr when I re-geared with new chain, small investment for peace of mind

The only bike I have left with clip type is a ttr-125 and I have a extra clip zip tied to the frame

Those who have lost the clip learned the lesson the hard way, it does happen they do come loose, but until it happens most people agree the clip is fine

Back to top Go down
Elm




PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:13 am

jbwi112 wrote:
I have dropped a clip twice in my life, leaving me stranded on a kdx400 and xr100, and thats with the clip "U" pointed forward when on top of swingarm

I bought the rivet link and tool for my wr when I re-geared with new chain, small investment for peace of mind

The only bike I have left with clip type is a ttr-125 and I have a extra clip zip tied to the frame

Those who have lost the clip learned the lesson the hard way, it does happen they do come loose, but until it happens most people agree the clip is fine

The above response covers everything. Apart from incorrect installation failures, remember the clip is spring steel. It does corrode, it is more brittle & has limited elasticity. Clip for quick & easy, rivet for safe & secure.
Back to top Go down
Biglake




PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:29 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
I use clip, and smear a little rtv on the sideplate before I install the clip.

If your using clip type master links do this, it helps a ton, I do it after the chains together with goop or gorilla glue, the clip wont come off without digging the glue off then prying it off.
I use both rivet and clip links which ever come with a new chain, I prefer rivets but have had good luck with glued clip links too, I've lost a couple of clip links years ago before I read about gluing them on some forum.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283




PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:35 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
I use clip, and smear a little rtv on the sideplate before I install the clip.

I was taught to do it this way as well.  I use both mostly based on what I can find easiest online.  Installed correctly rivet is better though I've never had a problem with a clip.

It's not a bad idea to keep an extra master link in your on-bike tool kit if you use clip type.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
TKO

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Clip on my 13/50 geared WR250R

Rivet on my 15/46 geared liter bike.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Clip or rivet type master link....   

Back to top Go down
 
Clip or rivet type master link....
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Master bedroom for rent(newly renovated & fully furnish)
» what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?
» [WTL] Sunway Suriamas Master Room + Medium Room Available For Rent
» Comfortable Master Room ready to move in by 01 March 2011
» Apartment : Room for Rent in Suriamas Apartment, Bandar Sunway, Selangor-750/Master room/month

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sprockets and Chains-
Jump to: