Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
zone47

zone47

Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.  Empty
PostSubject: Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.    Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.  EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Crashes on motorcycles are dramatic events... at least they are for me.  Especially if there is an injury involved, the memory can linger for a while.   I tried to put together each crash that I went through in words.... so sorry for the poor grammar and sentence structure, I'll just blame it on brain damage I sustained from the crashes. dunno

This first one is a near miss story...

It was a warm spring day and the birds were chirping in the air.  I popped the garage door open to let the sun glint off my new Honda CB750F.  What a race bike I was thinking!  It should get a ticket just sitting still and looking like that.

I spent most of the winter months reading and comparing the different offerings in the 750 class.  Suzuki was pretty much out of the running, even though it was a solid bike, it had looks that Grandma would yawn at.

The Kawasaki KZ750E was an awesome lightweight and fast bike, but just didn't have the refinement of the Honda.  The Yamaha 750 Seca was like styled into some kind of 1990s futuristic theme...too weird for me.  Yep, I'm glad I bought the 750F...I would have bought it on looks alone!

I slowly wheeled it out of the garage careful not to let my piece of crap Pinto get near it.  What a machine!  I fired up the fast revving 16 valve DOHC power plant.  It sounded hot baby, like it was ready for the races.

This bike scared me.  I thought maybe the next logical step from a 400cc bike would have been a 550cc machine.  Kawasaki had a little GPz550 hot rod available and it was the coolest little red rocket I have ever seen, but would I get tired of the 550 power and want more power soon?  I thought I better go up two notches and go all the way with a 750!! .....heck, ..I figured I would grow into it.

The 750F was a big bike for me.  It weighed in at 540 lbs full of fluids and it could be a handful in trying to make a quick manuver, but it has some serious suspension with triple disc brakes to match. Total quality highend componentry here.

My roommate walked out of the door looking kinda sleepy and said 'hey'!! ,  I said 'Hey' back!  Ya wanna go for a ride I asked?  (I have been talking about how fast this bike was, and so now maybe I can show him).

He put on my spare helmet and we headed out for a little sprint around town. I headed out to West Park Ave. in Plano Tx. and saw an opportunity to run it through the gears and blow by a few cars.

The left lane was wide open and there were no cross streets for cars to pull out of.  I slowed and kicked it into first gear and whacked the throttle to the stops. The engine instantly came to life and started singing a sa-weet song as it pulled like a rocket to redline where I power-shifted into second.  My roommate was hanging on to me for dear life as I zeroed in on the first of four cars, well actually three cars and one pickup in the right lane.

I completely smoked on past the first, then second car and closing on the third as I ripped into third gear.  Third car might as well been parked and I was looking at the final remaining truck up ahead as the bike hit 80mph.

For some stupid reason, the truck starts changing lanes into my lane and closing the door on any chance of getting past him.  I panic because I don't think there is any way I can stop as I grab a handful of brakes ...there is no room to squeak on past him any more!!

When I hit the brakes, my roommate slammed into me shoving me up onto the gas tank.  All I could see was the tailgate that I was about to plow into.  The rear brake is chattering, and skidding, the front is on the edge of locking as I fight to control the bike sitting up on the tank with the forks bottomed out.

Thank God that Honda put the awesome triple disc brakes on this bike.  They did a great job in hauling us down fast! and I was able to stop the bike about a yard or two short of hitting the truck as he poked along cluelessly at 35 mph.  My roommate scooted back and I got back on the seat and turned off on the next side street.  I not only got to show off the rabid horsepower of the bike, but the new twin piston brakes as well! eeek   My roommate was not as impressed.

Oh, well it just goes to show ya, if you ride a bike, you cannot trust anybody in a car or truck, bus or buggy even if you think you know what they’re going to do.  There was no reason for that truck to change lanes....no streets ahead to turn on, I mean, why did he do that?  Why did I do that?  I sold that bike after only 3000 miles because I thought I would kill myself on it.  It was a good lesson learned.

(Note: It is funny to think how completely slow the Honda 750F is compared to today’s current crop of bikes)

Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.  NTSH6ZW

Next story later on ..... I have a few more, only ones were I actually crash.  cry
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.    Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.  EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Crash #2

City titties were at almost every intersection. They came in two sizes. The large ones could bend a steel car rim or break an aluminum rim destroying your front end alignment depending on how fast you hit it.

This was southern engineering for you and Texas had plenty of city titties to go around.
The idea was to partition off the turn lane so that once you commit to that lane, you cannot change your mind. dunno

The city titties looked like a half dome that was bolted or glued to the pavement. The large size was yellow and about like a half a volley ball with ribs. The small size was white, smooth and like half a bowling ball. Motorcycles and citi-titties did not get along together well.

The graveyard shift hours at work were grueling. 12 hrs a day, 6 pm to 6 am. So the weekend was finally here and instead of going home and sleeping, my plan was to stay up all day Friday so by Friday night I would be tired enough to sleep a regular night and turn my schedule around for the weekend. It usually worked as long as I didn’t sit down and relax for more than a few minutes during the day.

I have been up for around 28 hrs and getting pretty crispy by then. My buddy Hugh wanted to ride the bikes out to a baseball game Friday night, so we headed out. I was following Hugh because he knew where the ball field was.

Hughs bike was an awesome 83 Suzuki powerhouse GS1100E. My bike was a nimble little rocketship / ticket magnet 81 Kawasaki GPz550. We rode at extra legal speeds many times.

As we neared the ball field, we entered an intersection and Hugh suddenly swerved into the turn lane. I didn’t know that he was going to turn there and couldn’t make it in the turn lane in time because of the city titties.

I tried to slice in between two of them like I have done so many times before, but I clipped the second one and before I knew it, I hit the pavement so hard that I didn’t even realize I was crashing until it was all over with.

The bike chased me as I tumbled to a stop. My first thought was that I was going to get run over by a car, so I rolled over to the curb. I was so completely knocked out of wind and struggling to get some air in my lungs that I could not answer Hugh’s repeated questions….are you alright? are you alright????!!! It's like he was there before I even knew it!

I looked over at the wounded bike lying on the pavement with the headlamp lighting up a spot on the pavement, and battery acid dripping out of the shattered battery. It was really sad seeing the turn signal smashed into the gas tank. Total bummer.

I finally got up and was dripping blood from my cut up hands, arm and hip. My tee shirt was ripped up and my Arai helmet took a pretty good hit on the pavement. I usually wore leather gloves, but the one time I didn’t is when I needed them the most.

Next thing I remember was sitting in the back of a cop car signing some accident report. I have no idea were he came from but he showed up and filled out the report which jacked up my insurance rates to the moon and back. We ended up at the ball game but I was still dripping blood all over the place. Some girl that I knew there came over to clean and patch me up just a bit.

That’s the last thing I remember other than the fact that I was zoned out for the next few days because I had a pretty good concussion. Most people’s heads are not as hard as concrete, and that’s a good reason to wear a helmet when riding. That’s why I am still here today to write about it.

The bike >

Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.  CqZjEfT

The titties >

Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.  AHkWwKa

Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.  5ZmQKBk

dddog
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.    Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.  EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Crash #3

You couldn’t possibly cover all 3000 acres of the Texas – Oklahoma trails through the woods, dunes, hill, creeks and grasslands in one day.  It was dirt bike riding heaven and in the days before GPS, it was easy to get in so deep in the twisting and turning trails that it took a while to find your way back to camp.  Munster Texas... it was a great place to get away from it all.

I was in to riding with the fast guys and it was a total rush getting into a rhythm slicing back and forth , up and down where ever the trail led us.

There were a few lesser experienced guys that were going to ride with us on the second ride and they were sure to hold things up.  We headed out and at one point I had to stop to readjust my clutch lever, so I had to blaze on back to the back of the pack.  After poking along behind this wobbling rider that was not in any big hurry, I kept looking at a good point to smoke on past him and work my way back up to the front.

There wasn’t much room, but I downshifted and cracked the throttle wide open to pass the guy.  My bike came up on the power and with a blast of speed I was about to rail right on past.  The rider had no idea what was going on and closed the door on my passing line to the point where I had to drive into a rut.  The rut ran along a rusty barbed wire fence and it grabbed my front wheel. It was deep enough that I couldn’t steer out of it and with all the outward momentum, I was going down.  Down! down, down   Hard! on the ground.

I did a spectacular face plant in the sand  thumb  in an out of control fashion while trying to avoid tangling with the rusty barbed wire fence. When my full face Bell moto 3 helmet hit the sand, it snapped my neck back so hard that they told me I was out like a burned out 4 watt light bulb for twenty minutes.  I was totally knocked out cold and we were in never never land and a long ways from the camp.

The next thing I remember, is that I was sitting on the back of one of the other guys bikes and they were trying to hold my arms in place or tie me in place and going to somehow get me back to camp.  I slowly came around and wondered what the heck happened.  Everyone was sooo relieved, they didn't know what to do.  I was really groggy for a few minutes and we all just took a break until I was able to wobble back to camp on my own bike.

After chilling for a while and eating something, I was soon ready to go back out for another ride, but they insisted that I go home (100 miles) and get checked out.   Of course they were right, getting knocked out is nothing to mess around with.

One of the guys drove with me and I made it back home.

I was tired and beat up, so I unloaded my bike and layed down at around 4PM ( I didn't know you weren't supposed to go to sleep after a concussion).  dunno  

Monday morning came around and I woke up rather confused around 9AM Monday morning.  I couldn’t figure out what day it was for a minute and then realized that I should have been to work at 7AM !  Wow, what happened?? ! 17 hrs of sleep..  

I called the boss and took the day off to go to the doctor to have the barbed wire scrapes on my rib cage checked out.

After a tetanus shot and three days walking around in a fog, I was fine.

The bike >

Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.  Se09nGx

Ok, someone else post some good crash stories ... I have more of them but we need something more interesting here!! GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.    Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Crash reports ... different bikes, different years.
Page 1 of 1