Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
motobuck

Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket Empty
PostSubject: Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket   Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket EmptyFri May 27, 2016 11:44 pm

I changed my rear sprocket from the stock 42 tooth to a 50 tooth.  The speedometer is off by as much as ten miles per hour at higher speeds.  Other motorcycles I have owned had the speedometer keyed off the front wheel.  My 2015 WR must read the RPM's from the motor to present the speeds.  Also, because the speeds are incorrect, I assume my odometer reading must be off as well. Comments?
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket   Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket EmptySat May 28, 2016 4:37 am

yes, changing the gearing affects your speedo and odo. In stock form the odo is pretty close to reality, the speedo is off by about 7-10%. With your changed gearing now both the odo and speedo will be off. You can get a speedo healer / speedoDRD to fix this. But you can either set to correct odo reading or correct speedo reading. can't do both.

I suggest you use the search function. This topic has been discussed many many times on the forum. You will find all the info you need! thumb
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket   Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket EmptySat May 28, 2016 10:30 am

This will answer a lot of questions.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket   Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket EmptyTue May 31, 2016 8:14 pm

Yep, the speedometer sensor is on the output shaft of the transmission. Pulses are sent to the dash display for calculation before displaying speed and distance in either metric or imperial units. From the factory speed is 7.7% conservative (supposedly intentionally) and odometer is accurate. Changes to gearing and/or tire circumference affect readings further.

You can correct either speed or odometer with a device like 12 O'Clock Lab's SpeedoDRD, which is basically a programmable multiplier/divider that goes inline between the sensor and the display. But the 7.7% difference between speed and distance is hard-coded into the display, so both readings will never be accurate at the same time.

I have a SpeedoDRD on my WRR with 13/51 gearing and Dunlop D606 rear tire and my speedometer reads dead-on accurate at all speeds. It plugs inline into the factory wiring harness. 12 O'Clock Labs' website has a calculator to help you program it easily and quickly.
Back to top Go down
ToddDubya

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket   Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket EmptyTue May 31, 2016 8:48 pm

Compared to GPS my speedo and odo are both off my 25%. That means if I'm doing 40 MPH the display says 50. If I ride 40 miles it says I rode 50. I started building a GPS based speedo/odo that runs off an Arduino (well, technically a friend of mine did the building since he had the parts laying around) but decided it's easier to just mentally multiply the display speed or distance by 0.8 to get the actual. Even easier is that at normal driving speeds I can just subtract 10 from what the display says to get close enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket   Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket Empty

Back to top Go down

Speedometer Error with non-stock rear sprocket
Page 1 of 1