Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
yaw

replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder? Empty
PostSubject: replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder?   replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder? EmptySat May 28, 2016 9:16 pm

My seals are shot. I've watched a bunch of videos showing how to replace your fork seals. Each tutorial shows using a damper rod holder that doesn't appear to be similar to the one Yamaha specs in the repair manuel. I looked into buying one and couldn't find it. Has anyone had experience changing out their seals? Did you use Yamaha's damper rod holder or a generic from one of the many retailers? Yamaha's connects to the lower fork tube from the top while every other one connects at the bottome of the lower fork tube. Any help would be appreciated. I've got a 08' with 30,000... Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder?   replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder? EmptySun May 29, 2016 6:04 am

Pretty sure no special tools are needed. Changed my seals once, and cant recall using anything other than ordinary tools.

Have you looked at a wr250r specifik youtube video? This was the first that came up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkw6WBQ3zAw
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder?   replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder? EmptySun May 29, 2016 7:02 am

The video linked in the above post has the guy mentioning the cartridge holder tool at 3:26 and 6:47, shows the tools (he has to try a couple different ones in his tool collection to find the correct size) at 6:54, 7:29, and 7:43, and finally shows the tool in use at 9:40.

I have seen the fork disassembled without this tool, and it's done with an air wrench quickly breaking the bottom bolt loose while the fork is still assembled, the reason being the fork spring tension will help keep the damper rod from spinning while loosening the bottom bolt.

My opinion is to have the tool while doing this job and to use it.
Yamaha motorcycle tools shown in the Yamaha Service Manual are sold to Yamaha motorcycle dealers by K&L Supply Co., and the part number for the damper rod holder is:

YM-01454
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder?   replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder? EmptySun May 29, 2016 8:32 am

You do not need to remove the damper rod at all to change the seals.
The guys who remove it are also revalving the fork, that's the only time it has to come apart.

Watch this vid.
https://youtu.be/GzMQnSIo0NE
Back to top Go down
littleblue

PostSubject: Re: replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder?   replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder? EmptySun May 29, 2016 9:51 am

Biglake wrote:
You do not need to remove the damper rod at all to change the seals.
The guys who remove it are also revalving the fork, that's the only time it has to come apart.

Watch this vid.
https://youtu.be/GzMQnSIo0NE

Thanks for link to vid! It makes the job look much easier! the question I have is How to "set" the seal??
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder?   replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder? EmptySun May 29, 2016 9:55 am

With another tool called a fork seal driver.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder?   replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder? EmptySun May 29, 2016 10:07 am

I installed a set this way.

https://youtu.be/24kDZHsHwDI

You can install fork seals with no special tools at all if you want to.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder?   replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder? EmptySun May 29, 2016 4:42 pm

I made a sealdriver from some pcv-pipe
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: done   replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder? EmptyMon May 30, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks for all the replies! Appreciate this community. I can confirm you can replace your fork seals without using the damper rod tool. It's mostly just a messy job getting all the fork oil out. Nothing too difficult. The plastic bag over the fork end works great when inserting both the dust seal and the oil seal. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder?   replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder? Empty

Back to top Go down

replacing fork seals do I need yamaha's damper rod holder?
Page 1 of 1