Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
slovenian6474

WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir Empty
PostSubject: WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir   WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Just about any time I go on the freeway, I've got coolant coming out of my reservoir overflow and dumping down the tube. I can't stay I'm that familiar with how the coolant reservoir system is supposed to work but I can't do 65mph highway jaunts without having to top off my coolant every time. You guys have any insight or things I should check?

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir   WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 7:32 pm

When the bike has cooled, how much coolant you got in the radiator?
Back to top Go down
slovenian6474

PostSubject: Re: WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir   WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 7:51 pm

YZEtc wrote:
When the bike has cooled, how much coolant you got in the radiator?

Coolant level in the radiator after today was almost to the top. I'd consider it full but the reservoir went from the low line to about 1" below the low line.

A few things I might add, I did switch to one of those fancy temp gauge radiator caps. It shows red line most of the time riding on the freeway. I switched it back to stock and topped off the coolant to see where it goes tomorrow. Also, I've recently done a coolant flush but the problem was there well before that and flush didn't seem to help. Also Engine Ice made no difference.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir   WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 4:20 am

Yeah, report back with results running the stock radiator cap.
Back to top Go down
slovenian6474

PostSubject: Re: WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir   WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 8:22 am

YZEtc wrote:
Yeah, report back with results running the stock radiator cap.

Well I rode the ~30 miles of highway on the way to work today. The skid plate didn't have any new fluids on it and my right leg was no longer burning. It was a cool morning so we'll see if I get the same results on the way home.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir   WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 10:15 am

Has the aftermarket cap been on it the whole time it was blowing coolant out?

If its not the cap its either over heating or the head gasket is blown leaking compression into the water jacket at high rpm pushing the antifreeze out of the rad.
Back to top Go down
slovenian6474

PostSubject: Re: WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir   WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 10:25 am

Biglake wrote:

If its not the cap its either over heating or the head gasket is blown leaking compression into the water jacket at high rpm pushing the antifreeze out of the rad.

I believe it has. My memory is a bit fuzzy on all of it but I believe after a hot summer last year, I wasn't sure if my fan was working properly or not. I cleaned up the wiring contacts and confirmed it was coming on. To monitor it, I installed the radiator cap w/temp gauge. First time I noticed an issue was on a 7 day trip. I had no issues on the trip but coming back via freeway, the engine kept dying from freeway speeds (70mph). Checking it out, I found the radiator and reservoir to be just about empty. After filling up, it worked fine but I kept a close eye on it and that when I noticed that freeway riding was blowing out my coolant.

I hope it's not the head gasket.

I'll update on the ride home as it should be ~82F.

Thanks so far for the help.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir   WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 1:28 pm

slovenian6474 wrote:
Biglake wrote:

I believe it has.  My memory is a bit fuzzy on all of it but I believe after a hot summer last year, I wasn't sure if my fan was working properly or not.  I cleaned up the wiring contacts and confirmed it was coming on.  To monitor it, I installed the radiator cap w/temp gauge.  First time I noticed an issue was on a 7 day trip.  I had no issues on the trip but coming back via freeway, the engine kept dying from freeway speeds (70mph).  Checking it out, I found the radiator and reservoir to be just about empty.  After filling up, it worked fine but I kept a close eye on it and that when I noticed that freeway riding was blowing out my coolant.  

Radiator caps are rated for pressure--it sounds like the aftermarket cap might be rated for a lower pressure than stock. FWIW I wouldn't mess around with aftermarket radiator caps--proper cooling is too important.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
slovenian6474

PostSubject: Re: WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir   WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 2:11 pm

morgan9283 wrote:
slovenian6474 wrote:
Biglake wrote:

I believe it has.  My memory is a bit fuzzy on all of it but I believe after a hot summer last year, I wasn't sure if my fan was working properly or not.  I cleaned up the wiring contacts and confirmed it was coming on.  To monitor it, I installed the radiator cap w/temp gauge.  First time I noticed an issue was on a 7 day trip.  I had no issues on the trip but coming back via freeway, the engine kept dying from freeway speeds (70mph).  Checking it out, I found the radiator and reservoir to be just about empty.  After filling up, it worked fine but I kept a close eye on it and that when I noticed that freeway riding was blowing out my coolant.  

Radiator caps are rated for pressure--it sounds like the aftermarket cap might be rated for a lower pressure than stock.  FWIW I wouldn't mess around with aftermarket radiator caps--proper cooling is too important.

-morgan

I completely agree.  I either accidentally ordered the wrong radiator cap or the "right" cap wasn't close enough to the stock pressure rating.   Either way, I'd rather not see the temperature and the bike run correctly than the other way around!
Back to top Go down
slovenian6474

PostSubject: Re: WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir   WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 9:15 am

Quick update for anyone running into this post. That seemed to have been my issue. I've gone on a hot weekend trip and riding all over town and the radiator remains full. Don't buy the wrong radiator cap!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir   WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250R constantly dumping coolant of the resevoir
Page 1 of 1