Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New Beta models

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

New Beta models Empty
PostSubject: New Beta models   New Beta models EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:35 pm

Dual sport just got a little more interesting. Beta just announced the 2017 models, and there is a wider selection of off-road oriented dual sports. They combined the RR offroad and RS dual sport line as new RR-S models which are all street legal. The 350 and 390 which were dirt only, now have RR-S versions that are street legal. There's a brand new for the U.S. 125 model, and then the 350, 390, 430 and 500 models. All fuel injected, all street legal. The 125 comes in at $4999 list, and the other models retail from $9699-9999 from 350-500. $100 additional for each cc step basically.

I've been interested in the 390 since by all accounts, it's one of the neatest motors to go in a frame, but it was off-road only. Not anymore, so I may be checking one out in a few months when they start hitting showrooms.

Doing less street riding since we moved, so might be taking a closer look at a more dirt oriented dual sport. Really like the Beta lineup, and they've supposedly improved them even more for the 2017 model year based on feedback from their race team members, as well as the regular riders of their products.

Hmmmmm.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

New Beta models Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Beta models   New Beta models EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 11:59 pm

Traveller, thanks for sharing that info. I'm not in market for a DS at the moment but if I was those Betas would get a very close look.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

New Beta models Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Beta models   New Beta models EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 11:58 am

I love my little Beta 300 Xtrainer two-stroke. It's the primary reason that I haven't been posting WRR photos here lately. I would definitely have taken a close look at these new bikes if they were available when I bought my WRR. Regarding the new Beta 390 RR-S: I really like the lighter weight (244 lbs), greater power, and better suspension out of the box but the maintenance intervals are definitely more dirt bike-ish.

FWIW with addition of DOT-approved tires and aftermarket mirror all of the previous "dirt" models were street legal for riding in Idaho and other states with similarly relaxed rules. They come from the factory with headlight, tail/brake light, and horn. They also come pre-wired for turn signals.

It's great to see some new energy come into the dual-sport market. Dennis Dillon Powersports in Boise has been great to work with too.
Back to top Go down

New Beta models Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Beta models   New Beta models EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 12:31 pm

I went and looked at the 430 and 500 RS earlier this year, and the bikes felt really nice. Didn't get the warm feeling from Dillon, more like they were busy and couldn't be bothered. They are the only dealer in the area however. They have a good selection, and their service guys seem knowledgeable, so it was probably just sales being a bit lazy in my opinion.

Yeah, Idaho is pretty lax about making dirt bikes legal on the street, but I read earlier this year that they have the right to revoke street legal status of any motorcycle with "offroad use only" on the certificate of origin. If they decide to change requirements, they have the ability to pull existing registrations. I read that the DOT would let the registration expire if they pass that legislation, but that there would be no further renewals for on-road use. That's the reason I want a bike that's not in that particular grey area.

I hear you on the maintenance intervals. I looked hard at that before we bought the WR. The WR is really a great bike for crossing over and running both worlds.

I was liking commuting back and forth to work some days when we lived in the West part of the valley, but now my wife and I commute together 5 days a week since our hours coincide, so I don't ride the bike to work. With the weather being nice this week, I might make a run to work this week. Maybe Friday. My wife tries to make me feel guilty every time I want to take a separate car or the bike, so I'll see I can brave that gauntlet!

I know from previous bikes, that the larger the engine gets, the more the bike wants to stand up in corners with throttle. The 350 or 390 is about the right size for more power, but still react like a smaller motor. The 350EXC KTM guys really like the smaller motor over the 500 or larger models for the same reason. Very snappy motor, plenty of power, but traction doesn't become a problem as much with the lower torque. Having ridden both ends of the scale, I'm gravitating towards mid-range displacement.

I keep saying (as do so many others) that if Yamaha made a WR350 and took just 20 pounds out of it versus the 250, they'd sell as many as they could make. It would be the perfect do everything bike. Still not as capable as the "dirt focused" machines, but within a few percentage points.

One of the key reasons I have the WR instead of an orange bike, is because the blue machine is a great all-rounder, with real world maintenance intervals. It's a really neat motor that will live on the freeway for extended periods. I still have my doubts about how well the KTM and Beta dirt bikes will do on trips.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

New Beta models Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Beta models   New Beta models EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 2:25 pm

Traveller wrote:

Yeah, Idaho is pretty lax about making dirt bikes legal on the street, but I read earlier this year that they have the right to revoke street legal status of any motorcycle with "offroad use only" on the certificate of origin.   If they decide to change requirements, they have the ability to pull existing registrations.   I read that the DOT would let the registration expire if they pass that legislation, but that there would be no further renewals for on-road use.  That's the reason I want a bike that's not in that particular grey area.

The dealer processed a title application when I bought the bike. Neither I nor Ada County DMV ever saw a certificate of origin for the bike. DMV didn't even ask me about the bike type when I presented the title application and asked for a road plate.

I have to agree with your comments about Dennis Dillon Powersports sales staff. Beta is just one of the lines they carry and the only motorcycle brand they carry. They turn a lot more volume and revenue from sleds and ATV/UTVs than the Beta bikes. But there are quite a few Beta owner/riders that work there including the sales manager, service manager, service counter guy, and parts counter guy. Those guys have all been golden and I seek them out when I go in.
Back to top Go down
DS123

New Beta models Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Beta models   New Beta models EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 5:21 pm

I'm really feeling the Betas and thinking seriously of getting one. I really like the 500 rs but feel it could be too much power for off-road, but all of the bikes are so close in price it seems like it would great to get the fastest one (500 rs). But then I see the maintenance intervals and want to just stick with my wr250r for more riding and less wrenching along with butter smooth highway riding.

Back to top Go down

New Beta models Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Beta models   New Beta models EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 6:13 pm

Probably just going to stick with the WR for now. Needs a big bore, a little weight loss, a little weight loss of myself, and I think it will continue to be fun. 5HP down low and 8HP up top makes a big difference. All I want is the ability to get the front end up over obstacles, so I'm going to do the 290 big bore from Thumper Racing (they have a lightened piston that doesn't require rebalancing) then send off my AFR+ to Dobeck to be recalibrated for the big bore. Going to see if I can get rid of 10 lbs of me, 20 lbs of bike and call it good.

I'm still liking the 390RS for trail work. The 500 would be the open desert bike. I don't think any of them are up for extended trips, but haven't read of anyone doing it so I'm not sure. They're kind of like KTM's in the respect that they are purpose built offroad weapons, not really a crossover. Since I'm not doing a lot of riding lately, I'll continue to watch and see if people are using them day in and out for commuters. I just need something to connect roads to trails lately, but I like taking couple hour runs on pavement to sight see with some trail work at points along the way. The WR does that just fine, the Betas might not. Just not much info out there of people using them on pavement for all day rides between trail and road work.
Back to top Go down

New Beta models Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Beta models   New Beta models EmptySun Jul 17, 2016 5:36 pm

My wife is quite intrigued by the new Beta 125. I think I might just be able to talk her in to one of those next spring. I'd have to get a 1" lower seat, then lower the suspension an inch or so to get it to about a 33" seat height. She's interested in the idea of being able to ride it on the street to the trails near us. She already has her MC endorsement, so it could work. I'm really thinking that 125 RR-s could fill the hole in the U.S. market for a 125 dual sport. Hasn't really been a good option since the old Yamaha XT125. I'll be taking her down to the Beta dealership as soon as they get one.

If I can get her back on a bike that we can street and trail ride together, I'd be stoked. It's harder right now, as we have to truck the 4 wheeler and bike if we want to go ride together.

I still want a Beta 390 or 430, but I'd rather get her on a bike 1st.

Back to top Go down
nightdemo

New Beta models Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Beta models   New Beta models EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 4:24 am

Nice info you got there.
Back to top Go down
wayben20

New Beta models Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Beta models   New Beta models EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 11:39 pm

I'll take note of this. thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Beta models Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Beta models   New Beta models Empty

Back to top Go down

New Beta models
Page 1 of 1