Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Air Filter Cleaning Intervals?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kknespler

Air Filter Cleaning Intervals? Empty
PostSubject: Air Filter Cleaning Intervals?   Air Filter Cleaning Intervals? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 3:17 pm

My bike has about 450 miles on it, getting the first oil change next week.  How often do you guys clean and/or replace Air Filter??  Manual said clean at 6,000 miles, but should I be cleaning it more often that that?
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cleaning Intervals?   Air Filter Cleaning Intervals? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Only when it needs it, you will get the feel of it as time passes. Everyday when running in the dirt.
Back to top Go down
Kknespler

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cleaning Intervals?   Air Filter Cleaning Intervals? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 4:16 pm

Thanks Berwyn!
Back to top Go down
Von551

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cleaning Intervals?   Air Filter Cleaning Intervals? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 11:57 pm

6k?! Haha, yeah right, it's not a car! Just depends on how much dirt you hit. I clean mine about one a month, which is about every 500 miles or so. I do a lot of dirt roads.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cleaning Intervals?   Air Filter Cleaning Intervals? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 3:08 am

i clean mine twice a year usually (sometimes 3). so that's about every 5k km in my case. I do 99% street riding though.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cleaning Intervals?   Air Filter Cleaning Intervals? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Probably shouldn't admit this, but... hide

I just cleaned and re-oiled my air filter (K&N) for the first time after 13,500 miles yesterday.

I also do 99% street riding.
Back to top Go down
Von551

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cleaning Intervals?   Air Filter Cleaning Intervals? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 2:45 pm

dmmcd wrote:
Probably shouldn't admit this, but...   hide

I just cleaned and re-oiled my air filter (K&N) for the first time after 13,500 miles yesterday.

I also do 99% street riding.

13k?! Your poor bike! That filter must've been so clogged!

What everyone on here who thinks 6k or more is ok for an air filter cleaning doesn't realize is that even riding 100% street you're still sucking in dirt, especially if you live in a dusty environment. If our cars recommend we change the air filters every 6k miles, there's no way our little bikes can go that long, especially riding dirt.

I would say to at least CHECK your air filter every 500 miles and definitely clean it after a day or weekend of trail or desert riding, regardless of mileage. But that's just me, I grew up racing dirtbikes where you didn't go by mileage or hours, but rather how a filter looked. Just pull the side panel, takes a minute, and see if your filter is dirty. Your bike's performance and longevity depend on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Cleaning Intervals?   Air Filter Cleaning Intervals? Empty

Back to top Go down

Air Filter Cleaning Intervals?
Page 1 of 1