Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Laminar Lip

Go down 
+4
King Wolf
Bgunn
greer
gordo5
8 posters
AuthorMessage
gordo5

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 9:21 pm

User Levity introduced me to the idea of a Laminar Lip with his post over at ADV:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10031618&postcount=4794

He's included a lot of good pics, so I won't bother running out to the garage right now. Anyway, I like it, quite a bit. It's small and not in the way at all. The velcro fasteners they use are not the run of the mill stuff but more of an industrial grade velcro. Good part about that is it holds very well. Bad part is they aren't really meant to be wipped on and off. The standard kit does include 4 extra fasteners but the website says they should only be good for maybe 20 removals, depending on how gentle you are (which isn't easy, since they hold on tight). So, I don't think I'll be swapping it between bikes like I thought I might but rather leaving it on the wrr. One thing I like about the velcro is that if you smacked into it for some reason while trail riding it would pop off rather than hurt you. It's pretty well out of your way, being so small, but it's comforting to know it's not a threat.

At speed it is really nice. I've ridden at 80-90 kph and at about 110kph and while you still get lots of wind around the helmet, it definately takes the blast off of your chest, making a speed jaunt much less tiring. Plus this time of year, it makes that jaunt a little less chilling too.

For reference, I'm 5'8" with a little less than a 31" inseam. So I would guess that it would be more effective for a shorter torso and less so for a longer one. I didn't experience any buffeting, but wouldn't try to guess how someone with different proportions might fare.

The model Levity (and I) got is the one intended for older KLRs.
Back to top Go down
greer

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 6:35 am

Glad you are pleased; that's just what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the review.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Bgunn

Bgunn

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 10:54 pm

Looks good thanks for the review. Its in my top two. So this is the one you got?

http://www.laminarlip.com/klr650.php

Kawasaki KLR650

1986-2007

K1123C LIP for KLR650, Clear
Back to top Go down
King Wolf

King Wolf

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:27 am

Man there not bashful on there price are they $84....its just fiber glass right???
Back to top Go down
Bgunn

Bgunn

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 1:11 pm

Does seem a tad pricey. I have a slipstreamer on my DR which works great. Just looking for something smaller for the WR.
Back to top Go down
gordo5

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 2:26 pm

Bgunn wrote:
Looks good thanks for the review. Its in my top two. So this is the one you got?

Kawasaki KLR650

1986-2007

Yup, that's the one. And ya, I don't think their profit margin is tight, but it is priced pretty much in line with the alternative options I've seen.
Back to top Go down

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Lamnar Lip - 2008 and later B-King   Laminar Lip EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 10:26 pm

gordo5 wrote:
Bgunn wrote:

Kawasaki KLR650

1986-2007

Yup, that's the one. And ya, I don't think their profit margin is tight, but it is priced pretty much in line with the alternative options I've seen.

I saw another thread in here with a Laminar Lip for a 2008 and later Suzuki B-king. That one looks a little taller with less lip and I like the look so I think maybe I'll try that one.

Artoo
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 2:03 am

Hi Bgunn:

I have the SlipStreamer SpitFire S-06 on the WR250X and it works excellent! Stops the blast, stops the rain pelt, adds quite a bit of protection and did not harm the X's terminal speed even 1 mph. All for an even smaller price tag too!

Good Luck

Wayne
Back to top Go down
greer

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Artoo,

Can you point me in the direction of the thread that mentions the B-King? I've tried the search button this way and that but no luck.

Sarah
Back to top Go down

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: 2008 and Later Suzuki B-King Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 10:15 am

greer wrote:
Artoo,

Can you point me in the direction of the thread that mentions the B-King? I've tried the search button this way and that but no luck.

Sarah

Sarah,

I'm darned if I can find it either. I saved a link to the product page and a picture of it on the WR250R. It's not my picture, just one I saved. And I can't give proper credit since I can't find the bleeping web post in here.

Here those are:

http://www.laminarlip.com/bking.php

My plan was to put 4 permanent studs up through the HL housing. I've had problems with the Laminar sticky pads coming loose at the worst possible times. Anyway, with 4 studs there, I could drill the laminar WS and affix it with wing nuts and rubber pads. I've done this before, but had to make sure I attended to any stress risers during drilling and after drilling or it could crack.

As much as they charge for the laminar's, I'm thinking of maybe the Turbo City WS instead. I dunno.

Pic hopefully attached.

Sorry for late response. Was riding 'stead of "netting".

Artoo
Larry S.Laminar Lip 2008_a11
Back to top Go down
greer

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Larry,

Thank you so much! I don't know for sure either, but I think I'd like just a tad more than the Harbor Freight outfit. Sure can't beat it for the money, though. Thanks again.

Sarah
Back to top Go down

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:42 pm

greer wrote:
Larry,

Thank you so much! I don't know for sure either, but I think I'd like just a tad more than the Harbor Freight outfit. Sure can't beat it for the money, though. Thanks again.

Sarah

Sarah,

You're welcomed! thumb

The laminar's are all so pricey for so little received. I suspect it costs them in yearly net profit because a lot of people like me don't want to pay $84 for what is so obviously a $30 or less (with profit) part.

But then, I'm sure they do have some R&D plus products liability insurance in each model, so maybe I'm being too harsh.

I just feel like I'd be getting more value per dollar spent if I went ahead and ponied up the $200 that Turbo City wants. More coverage, stout brackets, etc. But then I wonder if it would be too big in the rough stuff. I don't plan to be taking it off all the time.

Also, is the TC job so big that it actually ADDS to highway wind drag? A well designed and sized windshield can frequently reduce wind drag... and horsepower is kinda' at a premium on these bikes on the interstate...

Guess I'm on the fence.

Well, please let me know whatever change you make if any and I'll do likewise.

Artoo/Larry

Back to top Go down
RobR

RobR

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Artoo wrote:

The laminar's are all so pricey for so little received. I suspect it costs them in yearly net profit because a lot of people like me don't want to pay $84 for what is so obviously a $30 or less (with profit) part.

I agree... not sure that this product isn't any better than a 5 buck Harbor Freight face-shield and some velcro tape.
Back to top Go down

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 7:17 pm

RobR wrote:
Artoo wrote:

I agree... not sure that this product isn't any better than a 5 buck Harbor Freight face-shield and some velcro tape.

It looks a lot taller than the KLR Laminar Lip modded onto the WR's. And, the angle and height "looks" more advantageous than the HF 5 buck job.

But would it be $79 better?? I doubt it.

Sarah suggested that a Turbo City windshield had a lot of buffeting anyway. But she also said that adding MadStad robo bracket or whatever it's called helped a lot due to adjustability.

I see that Madstad has something like that in their photo gallery on a WR250R... looks like the TC bracket with robo gadget added, windshield on top. While not listed in their products yet, I suspect the parts can be ordered over the tellie.

The windshield they use is quite a bit taller than the TC windshield. Pretty sure I don't want to go that big due to off highway usage and not wanting to have to remove the WS all the time.

Rambling now. Sleep Guess I'll stop.

ARtoo
Back to top Go down
greer

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Artoo,

That WRR on the Madstad site belongs to our own GsVs. I'm hoping he'll see this post and chime in with a little more info. If not, consider sending him a pm. I believe he is very happy with the TC/Madstad combo.

Sarah
Back to top Go down

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: GsVs   Laminar Lip EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:11 am

greer wrote:
Artoo,

That WRR on the Madstad site belongs to our own GsVs. I'm hoping he'll see this post and chime in with a little more info. If not, consider sending him a pm. I believe he is very happy with the TC/Madstad combo.

Sarah

Sarah,

Thank you for the info!

lurk

I'll pm GsVs if he doesn't see this.

Larry thumb
Back to top Go down
GsVs

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: MadStad RoboBrackets + MadStad CR Sport Windscreen   Laminar Lip EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Hey Artoo ...

Yes - as Sarah mentioned that is my WR250R in MadStad's image gallery ... MadStad's Image Gallery

It has the TCI windscreen brackets -- MadStad's RoboBrackets -- MadStad's CR Sport windscreen. As you can see the CR Sport Windscreen has a straight smooth line to it - unlike the TCI one that has a flip at the top. With this set-up and all the adjustment that it has - it just plain works.

Here's a animated-gif file ... it's on a DR350 with a TCI windscreen - but it will give you a idea of the range of adjustment ...

Laminar Lip RoboDR350-1

My riding is just commuting and back roads so I leave it on all the time - if someone wants to do the trails then it just four T-Screws and the windscreen is off in a minute or so.

Larry

Artoo wrote:

Sarah,

You're welcomed! thumb

But then, I'm sure they do have some R&D plus products liability insurance in each model, so maybe I'm being too harsh.

I just feel like I'd be getting more value per dollar spent if I went ahead and ponied up the $200 that Turbo City wants. More coverage, stout brackets, etc. But then I wonder if it would be too big in the rough stuff. I don't plan to be taking it off all the time.

Also, is the TC job so big that it actually ADDS to highway wind drag? A well designed and sized windshield can frequently reduce wind drag... and horsepower is kinda' at a premium on these bikes on the interstate...

Guess I'm on the fence.

Artoo/Larry

[[img][/img]
Back to top Go down

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Thank you!   Laminar Lip EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 6:32 pm

GsVS,

Thank you very much for the animated gif. Wow, but that's cool. I don't think I'd even take it off for the trails I ride; I'd probably just put in the low and back position and call it good!

With the adjustment range you have, are you able to get pretty smooth air behind the windscreen when you're on the highway?

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what I want to do. Next paycheck is already taking a beating in advance... Very happy

Once again, I really appreciate the info! thumb

Artoo

Larry S.
Back to top Go down
GsVs

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Airflow   Laminar Lip EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 7:30 am

Hey Artoo ....

The Airflow is not "Goldwing Perfect" ... but it is pretty smooth. As they say with "what works for one rider may not for another" .... but with the adjustment range I'm sure you can find a setting that works for you.

The MadStad CR Sport windscreen works better then the TCI one for smoothing out the airflow.

Artoo wrote:
GsVS,

Thank you very much for the animated gif. Wow, but that's cool. I don't think I'd even take it off for the trails I ride; I'd probably just put in the low and back position and call it good!

With the adjustment range you have, are you able to get pretty smooth air behind the windscreen when you're on the highway?

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what I want to do. Next paycheck is already taking a beating in advance... Very happy

Artoo

Larry S.
Back to top Go down

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Thank you v2!   Laminar Lip EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:29 pm

GsVs wrote:
Hey Artoo ....

The Airflow is not "Goldwing Perfect" ... but it is pretty smooth. As they say with "what works for one rider may not for another" .... but with the adjustment range I'm sure you can find a setting that works for you.

The MadStad CR Sport windscreen works better then the TCI one for smoothing out the airflow.

Artoo wrote:
GsVS,

GsVs,

Excellent info and well said! I'm gonna give it a try.

Sincere thanks,

Artoo

Artoo

Larry S.
Back to top Go down

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:17 pm

GsVs wrote:
Hey Artoo ...

Yes - as Sarah mentioned that is my WR250R in MadStad's image gallery ... MadStad's Image Gallery

It has the TCI windscreen brackets -- MadStad's RoboBrackets -- MadStad's CR Sport windscreen. As you can see the CR Sport Windscreen has a straight smooth line to it - unlike the TCI one that has a flip at the top. With this set-up and all the adjustment that it has - it just plain works.

Here's a animated-gif file ... it's on a DR350 with a TCI windscreen - but it will give you a idea of the range of adjustment ...

Laminar Lip RoboDR350-1

My riding is just commuting and back roads so I leave it on all the time - if someone wants to do the trails then it just four T-Screws and the windscreen is off in a minute or so.

Larry

Artoo wrote:

Sarah,

You're welcomed! thumb

Guess I'm on the fence.

Artoo/Larry

[[img][/img]

GsVs,

BigFeet here, formerly Artoo.

As I'd said I probably would, I went ahead with your windshield idea. It's working out great!

Here's a link over in the main windshield topic.

Thanks again!

Larry S.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh-those-sweet-mods-f5/windshields-t146-40.htm#32742

Back to top Go down
mix123

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Bringing this one back from the dead. Anyone else pick up a laminar lip? They look like they fit the WR the best and dont look overly goofy. Looking for some more reviews before I pull the trigger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip Empty

Back to top Go down

Laminar Lip
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories-
Jump to: