Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Harry Potter

PostSubject: Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?   Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:36 pm

I have a dedicated two up touring bike, a dedicated woods bike, and a way to heavy DR650 that my fractured and operated on back won't allow me to pick up. The DR650 is hopefully finding a new home. So would you guys-gals upgrade the WR250R suspension to ride two tracks, rare single tracks, some open desert, but mostly loafing along with a geezer at the bars? I don't want to give up the plush street ride but yet when I rode the Taste of Dakar in Nevada the WR250R drained me. Is there any in between suspension set up?

Sorry this probably has been asked a million times. Thanks for your time. dunno
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?   Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:19 am

You don't give up the plush street ride when you get the suspension reworked/revalved, it still works good or even better on the road when valved properly for off road.

The most important part of setting the wrr suspension up is adding rebound to the shock to keep the rear end from dancing around on small bumps and kicking up in the air on big bumps, doing this doesn't make it any stiffer or rougher when hitting potholes on the road or putting along off road. thumb
Back to top Go down
Harry Potter

PostSubject: Re: Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?   Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking I'll have that go-race place in West Virginia do the upgrade in a couple of weeks. Thanks
Back to top Go down
timzim

PostSubject: Re: Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?   Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:12 pm

I'm very happy with my go race set-up its nice not have the rear end kick like a mule every time I hit a trail.
Back to top Go down
andy3d

PostSubject: Re: Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?   Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:55 pm

I had mine re-valved and resprung by race tech, not cheap at $1000 but if you are heavy like me totally worth it - I am 215lb without riding gear.
The difference was huge, fly through the whoops at 40mph and handles amazing. It is now much better suspension that my stock 500 exc time to spend some $$ to get the 500 exc to the same level - pity it cost $5k more:0

Back to top Go down
Von551

PostSubject: Re: Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:26 pm

I called Precision Concepts to see what their price would be for a revalve and service of my suspension. They don't recommend changing springs, which Racetech does, which might explain why do many people complain about their suspension becoming harsh after sending it to Racetech. Price for a full revalve and service from Precision Concepts is only $600, gonna go that route.

Last edited by Von551 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
andy3d

PostSubject: Re: Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?   Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:58 pm

Von551 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input, I actually called Precision Concepts to see what their price would be for a revalve and service of my suspension. They don't recommend changing springs, which Racetech does, which might explain why do many people complain about their suspension becoming harsh after sending it to Racetech. Price for a full revalve and service from Precision Concepts is only $600, gonna go that route.

The spring rate is related to your weight. I think the stock springs are good for a 170lb - 180lb rider. If you are over 200lb with out gear you might need new springs. Did you try the race spring rate thing?
http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Yamaha/WR250R/2015

Good luck, Let us know how the new suspension feels. lurk
Back to top Go down
Von551

PostSubject: Re: Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?   Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:35 pm

andy3d wrote:
Von551 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input, I actually called Precision Concepts to see what their price would be for a revalve and service of my suspension. They don't recommend changing springs, which Racetech does, which might explain why do many people complain about their suspension becoming harsh after sending it to Racetech. Price for a full revalve and service from Precision Concepts is only $600, gonna go that route.

The spring rate is related to your weight. I think the stock springs are good for a 170lb - 180lb rider. If you are over 200lb with out gear you might need new springs. Did you try the race spring rate thing?
http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Yamaha/WR250R/2015

Good luck, Let us know how the new suspension feels. lurk

I did and the weird thing is it recommends softer springs up front, but stiffer out back, despite the fact that the bike feels the completely opposite. I have the front compression at 5 and rear at 10. What's more weird is that the quote Racetech sent me says I need .48kg fork springs and 6.2kg shock spring, both stiffer than stock, especially the shock. I wonder if the online calculator isn't accurate or if they just try to sell people on springs to make more money. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
andy3d

PostSubject: Re: Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?   Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:41 pm

"I wonder if the online calculator isn't accurate or if they just try to sell people on springs to make more money. Interesting"

for sure! they did a great job on my wr250r but maybe i didn't need everything they sold me. for the 990 adventure it was really hard to talk to anyone at race tech, only sales people who are like - order or hang up!

It's so refreshing when you call companies like Super Plush where a tech expert talks you through everything.
Back to top Go down
Harry Potter

PostSubject: Re: Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:59 am

Well I took the bike to Go Race in Virginia and had Travis do his work. So yesterday I had my first post surgery ride. I took it to a small local motocross track and also traversed a simulated rock garden numerous times. Well I give it two thumbs up. No pain in the back when landing and we'll controlled in the rough. Thanks Go Race.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?   

Back to top Go down

Should I up grade my suspension for dual sport adv use?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1