Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

aligmment crash

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kellow

aligmment crash Empty
PostSubject: aligmment crash   aligmment crash EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 3:37 am

I took a little spill on the dirt today and my WRR feels a tinny little mis-aligned now. how do I check for proper alignment (other than looking at it and how do I fix it?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

aligmment crash Empty
PostSubject: Re: aligmment crash   aligmment crash EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 3:43 am

Front wheel up against a tree, and twist the handlebars. Just like on a bicycle.
Back to top Go down
csmart

csmart

aligmment crash Empty
PostSubject: Re: aligmment crash   aligmment crash EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 8:08 am

ive had the same issue and the tree worked just fine thumb
Back to top Go down
kellow

aligmment crash Empty
PostSubject: Re: aligmment crash   aligmment crash EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 11:13 am

Wouldn't that bend things even more?
Back to top Go down
Adaycj

aligmment crash Empty
PostSubject: Re: aligmment crash   aligmment crash EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 12:36 pm

Good grief, the tree trick is when you are on the trail and don't feel like messing with bolts.

For the bars. Mark the angle of the bars in the clamps. I use a sharpie and draw a line. Loosen all the bar clamp bolts slightly. Wiggle the bars a little. If they don't move in the clamps loosen a bit more. Set the angle back my looking at the sharpie mark. Tighten the bolts. When you are done the caps on the clamps should not touch the clamps on the triple tree. I tighten in increments so both sides are the same. A torque wrench and the factory spec is a good idea. If you don't have those things, give the bars a yank and a shove to make sure they won't move while riding after you think they are properly tightened.

For the forks. Mark the triple tree height on the forks. I use a mechanical pencil. Slightly loosen the front axle nut. Slightly loosen all of the triple tree bolts, and all of the front axle bolts. With the tire between your knees, standing in front of the bike, wiggle the handle bars. Then align them so the bars and tire are 90 degrees. Bars and fender can be bent, so pick a point that makes sense or you can live with. Make sure you have the right triple tree height, or fix it. In order, tighten the RH axle bolts. Then tighten the axle nut. Then the LH axle bolts. Check the alignment and height one more time. Now tighten the triple tree bolts. All the triple tree bolts should be tightened evenly. Way too much is bad, too little is dangerous. A torque wrench and the factory spec is a good idea.

After a hard hit I can do this whole procedure in about 5 minutes minus the torque wrench (I don't carry one). If it is 100f or the biting bugs have already caused a rider fatality I use a tree. The rest of the time I just do it right. You will need a decent 10mm, 12mm wrench. The one in the factory tool kit will destroy the bolt heads after a few uses.
Back to top Go down
kellow

aligmment crash Empty
PostSubject: Re: aligmment crash   aligmment crash EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 4:46 pm

There's the info I was hoping for!
Thanks!!!!
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

aligmment crash Empty
PostSubject: Re: aligmment crash   aligmment crash EmptyTue Oct 11, 2016 3:24 am

+1 for the tree! But also very good advice about how to do it properly which is, of course, the way we should really go about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

aligmment crash Empty
PostSubject: Re: aligmment crash   aligmment crash Empty

Back to top Go down

aligmment crash
Page 1 of 1