Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Should I wr450

Go down 
+6
mrstsang
Teufel
mcdoudlehopper
DPete
Biglake
Jens Eskildsen
10 posters

wr 450 or Big Bore the wr250?
wr450f.
Should I wr450 Empty60%Should I wr450 Empty
 60% [ 6 ]
wr250r + thumper racing kit
Should I wr450 Empty40%Should I wr450 Empty
 40% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
blusmoke

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Help I might be pulling the trigger on a well maintained 2014 wr450f Ive had my eye on in the next coming weeks. Need opinions and experience from anyone who's rode one as well as any and all opinions of what to look for/consider before I pull the trigger.

The bike in question is a 2014 model, one owner he's asking 6 grand. Plated by the dealership "85hrs/1500mi" and "lots of extras" of those extras the ones I remember are an aftermarket seat, IMS 3 gal tank, passenger pegs, gytr programmer, de-restricted, and a full maintenance history.

My intended use would be exactly how I use my wr250r now, about 1 tank of gas or less per week short commutes in town and up to the woods.. no highway plans most of my longer rides 100ish miles end up being at least half gravel/ trail. however for the dryer months I do plan on putting on a set of 17's with a cush drive

Last edited by blusmoke on Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Kinda hard to vote when you dont list the intended use (and how often)

But for my use, a 450 would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2016 6:40 pm

good point updated it now-
Im really hoping that a 450 could be geared to run lower rpms more like the (13/43) wr250 had stock without feeling under powered and ultimately be able to sneak in and out of places a little stealthier
Back to top Go down
johnkol

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 2:05 am

If the intended use is as you state, then the WR450F is an awesome machine: unbelievable power (maybe too much), magic-carpet suspension, great seating position, featherweight compared to the WRR -- and my experience was a 2006 model, the newer ones are even better.

I would get one in a heartbeat if they could be plated in California.

No experience as a supermoto, but this could be the perfect venue for its power.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 8:15 am

I'd get the 450.

The only place the wrr is better is cruising down the highway and your not doing that so it will suit where your riding well.
You will have to change the oil and check the valves more often but it will be worth it, the suspension is night and day better, the bike feels lighter plus you will have twice as much power. thumb

I'm in a similar situation, I was bored with my wrr offroad, it will go anywhere I want but doesn't wheelie well and is a bit on the heavy side when your pushing it, I thought about getting a plated 450-500 fourstroke or 300 two stroke but ended up getting a 06 yz250 for racing and short fast trail rides and keeping the wrr for road use and longer mostly dirt road dualsport trips.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 8:24 am

Btw, isnt the older 450's 5 speed? You might not get great cruising speed wheen geared for the tight stuff.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
Btw, isnt the older 450's 5 speed? You might not get great cruising speed wheen geared for the tight stuff.

All of them are 5-speed, but it's a fairly wide-ratio transmission; you can gear it for relaxed cruising on the highway and let the massive power pull you out of tough situations in the dirt.
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2016 11:34 am

I have an 08' it amazes me every time I ride it
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 10:42 pm

Would go 450 and could also add Timbersled kit in the future. I'm looking for one now but Cannot dual sport the 450 in Michigan. Damn hoodlums in the city riding wheelies through town ruined that for us. Ya know what I mean BROTHER
Back to top Go down
Teufel

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyFri Oct 21, 2016 9:27 am

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
Would go 450 and could also add Timbersled kit in the future. I'm looking for one now but Cannot dual sport the 450 in Michigan. Damn hoodlums in the city riding wheelies through town ruined that for us. Ya know what I mean BROTHER

Could look at the new Beta dual sports?
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptySun Oct 23, 2016 9:25 pm

update: the owner has had second thoughts and has decided to keep the bike I was looking at baldy

Now its between a new 2015 or a 2016 model, Im gonna try and pick one up wednsday

15' has a serious cost advantage but the 16' is all new droooool
Back to top Go down
johnkol

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2016 4:48 am

blusmoke wrote:

Actually, the 2017 models are out, so you should be able to get the 2016 models at a discount.
Back to top Go down
mrstsang

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2016 10:19 am

johnkol wrote:
blusmoke wrote:

Actually, the 2017 models are out, so you should be able to get the 2016 models at a discount.

Yup!
You are right!
Can earn the discoun! wink
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: 2016 WR450f first ride   Should I wr450 EmptySat Oct 29, 2016 11:41 pm

Well guys I just picked up my brand new 2016 wr450f! And heres the dirt or lack there of after a spin through the neighborhood.

First off my initial impression is that this bike was not meant to be ridden out of the box at all. The throttle is incredibly snatchy rendering the bike nearly unrideable. I feel part of the condition is factory lean idle settings coupled with a throttle stop that keeps you only in the "snatchy" part of the throttle.

Aside from that the motor feels and sounds about the same as a stock wr250r. It has very little vibration, jerky throttle inputs, the exhaust is just as quiet, and the way it sits not much quicker! Too early to say much else guys.
Should I wr450 Img_0410
Back to top Go down
johnkol

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptySun Oct 30, 2016 1:58 am

blusmoke wrote:
Aside from that the motor feels and sounds about the same as a stock wr250r.

That's a well-known problem with WR450Fs throughout the years. You need to de-restrict them before you can get some decent power, and change the ECU/exhaust for full power (which should be close to 50hp at the wheel).

Read the Thumpertalk FAQ, and the general modifications page.

BTW, congratulations, from all reports I have read, this is an incredible machine.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptySun Oct 30, 2016 8:36 am

It's not actually a problem, but the result of making the bike EPA-compliant.
Derestricting (AKA uncorking) your 2016 model is even easier than the earlier models that had carburetors.

What you do is simply buy two items from their GYTR accessory catalogue:
1) The Competition ECU
2) The Power Tuner

The Competition ECU is a new ECU (AKA CDI unit back in the day) that is not locked and hindered with the fueling and ignition timing settings that your new bike currently has, and is also able to have the settings (AKA mapping) changed if so desired.
The Competition ECU comes with instructions showing you how to eliminate the throttle stop and the intake and exhaust restrictions as well, and these cost no additional money to perform.
You don't have to buy an aftermarket exhaust once it's uncorked, but you have the option if so desired.

The Power Tuner is the hand-held electronic programming tool that plugs into your bike's wire harness and allows the mapping to be changed if so desired.
Very easy to do.

These allow the bike to run as designed with proper power and throttle response, and once that's done, you won't be comparing your new 450 to any 250 except with a grin on your face.
Back to top Go down
dfoustou

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 EmptySat Nov 05, 2016 11:15 pm

blusmoke wrote:
Well guys I just picked up my brand new 2016 wr450f! And heres the dirt or lack there of after a spin through the neighborhood.

First off my initial impression is that this bike was not meant to be ridden out of the box at all. The throttle is incredibly snatchy rendering the bike nearly unrideable. I feel part of the condition is factory lean idle settings coupled with a throttle stop that keeps you only in the "snatchy" part of the throttle.

Aside from that the motor feels and sounds about the same as a stock wr250r. It has very little vibration, jerky throttle inputs, the exhaust is just as quiet, and the way it sits not much quicker! Too early to say much else guys.
Should I wr450 Img_0410

I would have geared it higher...15/40? to make it smoother for the road.

Congratulations!!!! A great bike at the dimensions of a WR250R.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Should I wr450 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I wr450   Should I wr450 Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I wr450
Page 1 of 1