Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds

Go down 
+4
DansWR250R
dmmcd
rsteiger
YZEtc
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DansWR250R

Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds Empty
PostSubject: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi guys ! New here and couldn't find another post related to this topic. Riding down the highway in 6th gear my bike just completely loses power until I roll off the throttle or downshift. This is very dangerous. Mods are power bomb header,fmf Q4 pipe, fmf programmer seat concepts seat and some pirelli scorpion my 90's. I called fmf several times only to get several different settings. All of them have failed to rectify the problem. Next I called yamaha and they said to take it to my dealer and if it's a defect they will pay for it, if not I have to. This has happened several times and even before any mods.at this point I haven't a clue what to do. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks everyone! Dan
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 6:57 pm

The bike did this before you added the FMF Power Programmer?
I ask because it is (or was when I rode my WR250R and X a few years back, at least) a known issue of making the bike cut out if the settings of the programmer are a certain way.
There are several threads on this forum about it.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 7:56 pm

DansWR250R wrote:
Riding down the highway in 6th gear my bike just completely loses power until I roll off the throttle or downshift.

Loses power in what way? Engine completely dying, or slowly decreasing in power? How long do you have to be in sixth gear before this starts happening? What if you never shift to sixth gear, does it still happen?

Quite a few of us have experienced a similar problem when the fuel pump overheats and starts cutting off -- but this happens at all gears, not just sixth.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyThu Jan 19, 2017 11:54 am

DansWR250R wrote:
Hi guys ! New here and couldn't find another post related to this topic. Riding down the highway in 6th gear my bike just completely loses power until I roll off the throttle or downshift. This is very dangerous. Mods are power bomb header,fmf Q4 pipe, fmf programmer seat concepts seat and some pirelli scorpion my 90's. I called fmf several times only to get several different settings.  All of them have failed to rectify the problem. Next I called yamaha and they said to take it to my dealer and if it's a defect they will pay for it, if not I have to. This has happened several times and even before any mods.at this point I haven't a clue what to do. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks everyone! Dan

My money is on the FMF Programmer.

Had the same issue with mine when I installed it.  Basically the programmer causes the fuel mixture to be too rich as the throttle is opened more - the WRR is already rich from the factory at WOT.

With the fuel mixture too rich combustion won't take place and the motor dies.  You roll off the the throttle and the mixture leans out then it starts to run again.  This is a well known issue with the FMF controller.

In my case with my FMF I set the last 3 settings to 8 and that pretty much eliminated the issue.  Many say that if you set one of the settings (#5 or #6, I forget) to 6 or higher the issue would go away.  

After that I went to a PC5 and a dyno session and then finally realized that while the bike made a little more power in that configuration I did like the lower end response in the stock setup with the EXUP since most of the riding I do on the bike is not flat out but rather a bit slower and more technical.  So I put everything, as best I could, back to stock about 3 years ago and have been happy happy happy.

Now, at the risk of creating a huge shit storm, if it was my bike and I only have the FMF pipe and no drastic airbox changes I would pulled the FMF programmer (or at least disable it) and ride the bike and see if it still does that cut out bit.  If it does, then I doubt that the controller is the issue and I would bring it to the dealer.

If not, then either leave the controller off or play with the settings.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyFri Jan 20, 2017 5:08 am

rsteiger wrote:
My money is on the FMF Programmer.

But he said the problem existed even before he made all the modifications:

Quote :
This has happened several times and even before any mods
Back to top Go down
DansWR250R

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyFri Jan 20, 2017 6:19 am

It's happened with and without pp. It so far has only happened in 6th and cruising speeds of 62 mph and then seconds later at 72 mph. I called fmf and he said all those chat boards were wrong and maybe even for older bikes since mine is a 2016. He gave me some awkward settings that I can't recall but we repost when I'm done scratching my butt and drinking my first cup of coffee.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyFri Jan 20, 2017 7:51 am

DansWR250R wrote:
I called fmf and he said all those chat boards were wrong and maybe even for older bikes since mine is a 2016.

Of course they would.

But I did miss the point in your post where you said it did this before the mods. I guess my question is why did you not bring it in before doing the mods to have it repaired? Adding the mods not sort of muddies the water. Any chance to set it all back to stock and take it back in if it does it again. That way there is no finger pointing to the mods as being the issue.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptySat Jan 21, 2017 4:37 pm

DansWR250R wrote:
It so far has only happened in 6th and cruising speeds of 62 mph and then seconds later at 72 mph.

This is telling. If the bike loses power at 62 mph, how were you able to reach 72 mph afterwards? Is it the case that there are no hiccups when you accelerate, but the bike only loses power during constant throttle situations? How long do you have to be at constant throttle to start losing power?

Another point is that the bike does not know what gear it is in, so there is no reason for this to be happening only in 6th gear. Could you experiment with lower gears and see what happens? That is, keep the bike in 5th (or 4th) gear at constant throttle and see whether it loses power.

I also agree with rsteiger that the addition of the FMF programmer complicates things unnecessarily; things would be a lot simpler if you did not have to troubleshoot two systems (the stock ECU and FMF) at the same time.

Last edited by johnkol on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DansWR250R

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptySat Jan 21, 2017 7:18 pm

I will try as you suggested and report back. Also I took my air filter door off what setting should I change and to what ? Thanks in advance !
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 5:01 am

DansWR250R wrote:
Also I took my air filter door off what setting should I change and to what?

You're making too many changes at the same time. Now on top of the troubleshooting, you pile on the task of determining proper fueling for a new modification.

I would suggest confining your investigations to just one task at a time, and proceeding methodically to solving it.
Back to top Go down
DansWR250R

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 2:21 pm

I was thinking that it may be starving for air so I took off the air box door. lots more power but I would like to know what to set the programmer settings at to see if that fixes my problem. thanks in advance .
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 3:53 am

Did the door removal fix the problem? If not, then you should have returned to the previous setting. Trying to find new values for the programmer means that you are now troubleshooting a new problem, not the original one. This approach may work, but it's going to take you a long time to go through all the possible permutations.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 7:11 am

DansWR250R wrote:
I was thinking that it may be starving for air so I took off the air box door. lots more power but I would like to know what to set the programmer settings at to see if that fixes my problem. thanks in advance .

Slow down.

First your said the bike use to do this before you added all the aftermarket stuff. If this is true then it is not the programmer, exhaust, or airbox. Trust me a stock bike should not cut out at HW speeds unless it runs out of gas.

If the bike did this in stock form, then I would put it back to stock and bring it in for warranty work. They may or may not be able to fix it at the first go around but at least you will have a record of the issue on file with the dealer and Yamaha. If they can't find the problem then make sure the dealer has contacted the Regional Service Rep to get Yamaha involved directly.
Back to top Go down
DansWR250R

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:36 am

Rsteiger. Already done. They couldn't replicate the problem therefore will not acknowledge there is one . Most likely because they would have to do a recall. I am at a loss here. I don't know what to do.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 1:14 pm

DansWR250R wrote:
Rsteiger. Already done. They couldn't replicate the problem therefore will not acknowledge there is one . Most likely because they would have to do a recall. I am at a loss here. I don't know what to do.

Well I would keep riding it for a bit set up as stock. Have you been able to get it to happen since you took it back to stock?

If so, then try to figure out how to replicate it and have the dealer ride it in the same manner.

If it isn't doing it then I suspect the issue is in the mods or seat.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Mine does this same thing. There are a bunch of posts on this forum about the same issue. I also have the FMF programmer and consensus seems to be that it is causing the issue. One thought was to bump the 5th number up above 6, which I did to mine and it still occasionally (sporadically) does this. Cruising at 70ish mph, engine dies as if you turned off the key. Roll off throttle for a moment, then back on, and it runs fine. I thought I remembered reading that Dobeck (manufacturer of FMF programmer) acknowledged the problem and had an updated version, but I could be wrong.

Back to top Go down
DansWR250R

PostSubject: Now before i figure out that problem. a whole new one .   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:42 pm

So I was trying some new setting dobeck told me to try today and my bike over heated and I mean spitting out a little coolant and crazy hot., it was time for my trip to savannah to have my clutch seal recall taken care of so I just loaded it up . when I got there I asked them about it and they said put some liquid ice coolant in it and that should fix the problem. well after draining everything and flushing it then refilling it the manual says to let the bike run for 15 minutes. at about the 12 minute mark my temp light comes on and the bike shuts off. At which point I went in to the diag screen of the bike and had several codes that I didn't write down and when I went back after grabbing a pen it wouldnt let me get back in to the diag screen bc I forgot it clears it once you shut it off. I just want my bike fixed ! I jave been on the phone with dobeck, FMF industries and Yamaha inc, none of which can tell me anything, this nike is dangerous and I have to get in touch with someone that can fix it without charging me an arm and a leg. sorry. rant over, thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 10:38 am

As others have said...PUT IT BACK to STOCK and start your diagnosis from there. Take ALL unknown variables out of the equation. Worst case take it to the dealer etc. It's possible you could have a fuel pump issue among other things......
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 10:04 pm

dmmcd wrote:
Cruising at 70ish mph, engine dies as if you turned off the key.

This is the exact symptom I got when my pump started dying, but it subsequently started happening at all speeds and in any gear.
Back to top Go down
hayop30

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptySat May 02, 2020 3:50 am

Hi guys, was this problem ever figured out? It appears several people have complained about this similar issue and I’m surprised the culprit of the problem has not been determined yet. Yamaha is up for a huge liability on this, and it sucks that we all want to do mods and can’t figure out the problem. My bike does the same thing, and it’s hella scary where I almost don’t want to ride it anymore.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptySun May 03, 2020 12:37 am

hayop30 wrote:
It appears several people have complained about this similar issue and I’m surprised the culprit of the problem has not been determined yet.

One person reported an issue, several people suggested things for him to try, he apparently didn't try any of them, and promptly vanished from the forum; how would you have expected this issue to have been resolved?

Now you come along saying that you experience the same issue but not providing any details; what do you expect to happen?
Back to top Go down
FGUNEL

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 8:05 am

2009 model wr 250x engine, fmf megabomp, fmf p4 exhaust, fmf programmer available. The engine lost power for a few seconds while driving at constant speeds. I made the settings as follows and it was completely fixed. 3 - 5.5 - .5 - 8 - 4 - 4.5
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds   Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds Empty

Back to top Go down

Wr250r losing power at cruising speeds
Page 1 of 1