Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Headlight off/on switch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
250wrx

Headlight off/on switch Empty
PostSubject: Headlight off/on switch   Headlight off/on switch EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 7:20 am

Just installed a LED bulb and want to install a switch
So it's not always running. Any one got info or has installed one before?
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Headlight off/on switch   Headlight off/on switch EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 12:48 pm

installed a switch or an led?
I have an led in my wr i love it. not sure why you would want to turn off the light except to save battery, luckily yamahas don't run the light til the motor starts up so theres no real incentive there.
i can roll for miles down a hill up in the woods, often times i just use the key to turn of the light then leave it in the on position so the odometer runs.

the power runs straight from the regulator to the headlight on the wr, you could just snip that wire and add any on/off switch you'd like.

you could also find like a tusk, baja, etc. 3 position handlebar control for like converting a bike to street legal. but on a wr you would have an extra power wire floating around because the high and low beam are separate as opposed to a bike you might convert over.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Headlight off/on switch   Headlight off/on switch EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 1:50 pm

blusmoke wrote:

the power runs straight from the regulator to the headlight on the wr, you could just snip that wire and add any on/off switch you'd like.

LOL, it's not quite that simple.  Headlight power runs from the regulator, through the key switch, through the headlight fuse, thru the headlight relay, through the Hi/Low Beam switch, and to the headlight. The ECU turns the headlight relay on after the engine is running, which is why it doesn't come on when you first turn the key on.

The key-switched circuit from the headlight fuse also powers the turn signal relay, so you'll need to be careful where you insert a switch there if you don't want to switch the turn signals completely off too.  Looking at the wiring diagram below I suggest one of the following:
Option 1: Insert a 15 amp rated single-pole switch between the headlight relay and the hi/low beam switch (blue wire with white stripe in the diagram below), or
Option 2: Insert a single-pole switch between the headlight relay and the ECU (yellow wire with black stripe in the diagram below.)  This is a low-amperage circuit that controls the headlight relay so just about any single-pole switch should work.

Hint: Right-click and open the image below in a new browser tab, or right-click and save it to your computer if you want to view the full-size version.

Headlight off/on switch WR250RX%20Wiring%20Diagram
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Headlight off/on switch   Headlight off/on switch EmptyWed Feb 01, 2017 3:04 pm

I replaced my handlebar switch with a cheap dual sport switch. It allows me to turn off the headlight when riding. I never noticed that the turn signals don't work with the switch off. Not a problem for me, the only time I run without headlight is off road anyhow, if I need to be stealthy.
Back to top Go down
oldwrrastler1

PostSubject: Re: Headlight off/on switch   Headlight off/on switch EmptyFri Mar 03, 2017 2:17 pm

I put a switch on my WRR that turns off all lights.  It is for stealth, in my case, as sometimes it is better to be invisible.

I have lost the diagram of wiring changes but can give details of what I did.  I use a toggle switch with 2 poles, switches two circuits at once.  The headlight and front blinker running lights are powered by one wire/ one pole of the switch.  The other pole I connected to the ground wire for the tail light LED.  When the switch is on stealth-mode the high beam indicator is on.  This is a good thing as it warns me when I get back on the road to turn my lights back on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlight off/on switch   Headlight off/on switch Empty

Back to top Go down

Headlight off/on switch
Page 1 of 1