Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Downshifting without clutch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TATwr250rguy

PostSubject: Downshifting without clutch   Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi, I am a new rider and have a new wr250r. I have been told its quite ok to down shift without using the clutch. The wr manual says its 'ok' sometimes. Does anyone know if it is 'ok' all the time and are yamaha just covering themselves? Thanks
Back to top Go down
wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Downshifting without clutch   Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Downshifting without clutch   Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:12 am

For a new rider, use the clutch at all times....
Back to top Go down
TATwr250rguy

PostSubject: Downshifting without clutch   Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:19 am

thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Downshifting without clutch   Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use clutch. Regardless of which direction I shift.

13,000+ miles and never a problem.
Been riding motorcycles since 1985 and never had a clutch issue other than one broken clutch cable.

ALWAYS clutch to down shift.

Helps to prevent rear wheel locking up if you downshift a little too early.
Much easier to pull that clutch lever back in if your fingers are still on it. thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Downshifting without clutch   Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:56 am

hahaha i got into an argument with a friend about this, it ended with him not being allowed to ride my bikes.

I always try to use the clutch when i shift but there are plenty of times when you should know how to shift without the clutch, the bike doesn't like it when you just mash it into the next gear. you'll wear out the shift forks.

but for instance if your cable/lever breaks or your hand simply can't pull the clutch at that time using the throttle there is a technique to smoothly shift up or down into the next gear without munching the transmission too hard.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Downshifting without clutch   Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:00 am

Theres no extra wear on the transmission when done right.
Back to top Go down
TATwr250rguy

PostSubject: Downshifting without clutch   Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:01 am

Thanks guys - appreciate the advice. This forum is great! I am about to do the T.A.T and training for that. So help from experienced cats is awesome. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Von551

PostSubject: Re: Downshifting without clutch   Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Here's some good tips for a new rider below. I grew up racing motocross where using the clutch to upshift was unnecessary and made you that much faster, especially in the start straight. Of course our bikes aren't mx bikes, but if you do it right, there's no downside. I still use my clutch from 1st to 2nd to miss neutral. As far as downshifting though, that's a good way to ruin your clutch and transmission. All you have to do is go at a good clip and instead of downshifting one gear when showing down, downshift two gears, with the clutch, and let it out. You'll feel a clunking in the back tire, almost like your chain is skipping. That's your engine braking trying to match speeds with your rear tire, I've done it and it doesn't feel good. That's why a lot of bikes have slipper clutches now, it buffers that force by allowing the clutch to slip a little as speeds equalize. Since our bike doesn't have one, always use the clutch for downshifting and don't downshift more than one year at a time and let the clutch out slowly if you do... https://rideapart.com/articles/10-motorcycle-riding-tricks-you-dont-know-yet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Downshifting without clutch   

Back to top Go down

Downshifting without clutch
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1