Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Temperature That WR250R Fan Comes On and Goes Off.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DSO

PostSubject: Temperature That WR250R Fan Comes On and Goes Off.   Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:19 pm

At what water temperature does the WRR radiator cooling fan come on? At what temp does it go off?

Thanks...Phil
Back to top Go down
66T

PostSubject: Re: Temperature That WR250R Fan Comes On and Goes Off.   Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:54 pm

I've searched my workshop manual for this, because I needed to find the info when I was having cooling difficulties during sustained low-speed/idle conditions in hot weather using a std-bore aftermarket cylinder/piston assembly. Couldn't find it anywhere, but I'd like to know.

Having said that, I think I read it somewhere, but buggered if I can remember where. Sigh. Another geriatric moment. Sorry.

But I'll keep looking.
Back to top Go down
DSO

PostSubject: Re: Temperature That WR250R Fan Comes On and Goes Off.   Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:08 am

I understand 'senior moments'...I have emailed and posted many sources and nobody has given me the temps...voltage/amp check on fan jumps at 176 degrees [F]...so I am guessing the fan probably starts just above this but I would like to really know and not just guess!

Phil
Back to top Go down
66T

PostSubject: Re: Temperature That WR250R Fan Comes On and Goes Off.   Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:50 am

OK. The nearest I can find is information from an owner with a Thermometer built into his radiator cap.

He says: Fan on at 220 deg F (104 deg C)
            Fan off at 200 degF (93 Deg C)

These temps seem a few degrees too cool to me, because our stock 1.1 bar (about 15 psi, I think) radiator cap increases the coolant boiling point to around 260deg F (around 126 deg C). It does, however, cover the fact that even with the red coolant overtemp warning light on for up to half an hour at a time (this is a work bike. I couldn't just leave what I was supposed to be doing and race around cooling off the engine ad infinitum), the Yamaha coolant did not boil at any point. Thus I'm absolutely satisfied that stock coolant is more than adequate. If my engine boils using this stuff, there's something badly wrong.
Back to top Go down
66T

PostSubject: Re: Temperature That WR250R Fan Comes On and Goes Off.   Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:10 am

More info. I also own a 2010 XT660Z Tenere. I have found definitive figures of: On at 102 deg C, Off at 95 deg C: for its cooling fan.

So it seems I was wrong, and the radiator cap thermometer is pretty much accurate. Maybe even a couple of degrees hot. I think the Yamaha would have a fairly standard engine temperature range for its products, which still allows for a decent safety margin when using its coolant. Though that's obviously just my opinion, and might be total bs.
Back to top Go down
DSO

PostSubject: Re: Temperature That WR250R Fan Comes On and Goes Off.   Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Hey...that all makes sense....I am flushing system and filling with Engine Ice coolant...then when, if!, it warms up here I will run it and check with an IR Gun to establish the temps for fan operation...truly academic about temps, but this is a 'new to me' '08 and I want to confirm the fan is functioning and functioning correctly....

Thanks for your input.

Phil
NE Oregon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temperature That WR250R Fan Comes On and Goes Off.   

Back to top Go down

Temperature That WR250R Fan Comes On and Goes Off.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1