Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chains, chains, or chains?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dicklane625

dicklane625

Chains, chains, or chains?  Empty
PostSubject: Chains, chains, or chains?    Chains, chains, or chains?  EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 1:17 am

Lookin at playing with my ratios a bit. I currently have 12/43 on my stock chain.... So the stock chain is a 520v108le... I can't find that on d.i.d.'s website... Found a 520vo n vx, I'm guessin the stocker is one of these? Might be something they made for retail bikes only?

Amazons got a deal on the did-ert2 for 69. I've seen some posts on here suggesting the did-vx2, I can find that on amazon for 79. Does anyone know the difference. The easy stuff I can see, but not whether it matters or not. The ert2 is in the mx category listed as a mx champion with 450 max cc, where as the vx2 is in the street, endure/desert, and trials/dual sport category listed as a great value x-ring with a 750 max cc on the did website. I could see the ert2 also holding up to a higher cc, but there's only 250 n 450 mx classes, so no need to go higher, at least that's how I figure it?

Now, my question is 110 or 112 link? Lmao, nah, it's is a ert2 chain going to hold up as good as one designed for dual sport? Does it make any difference at all? I can't tell if the ert2 is an upgrade at a cheaper price. I fear it might not hold up to road riding, but I have a hard time believing my lil 250 is gonna damage a chain that holds up to 450 class mx... The idea of steady power down the road doesn't add up to more bang bang on the chain to me.

I can also get a rk xso style that splits the cost down the middle... Then there's the jt chains.... I searched for a review of the jt n the first thing that showed up was one with less than 1000 miles that was sticking up already...

Completely lost, I'll probably just spend the extra 10 bucks to not worry about it... Gonna cheap out on some jt sprockets for now... This way if I want to play with ratios it costs less to dial in... I do really want the supersprox or renthal twinring in gold, but I can get two jts for the price of one shiny one...
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: Chains, chains, or chains?    Chains, chains, or chains?  EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 8:31 am

www.sprocketcenter.com

thumb
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Chains, chains, or chains?    Chains, chains, or chains?  EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 10:51 am

dicklane625 wrote:
is a ert2 chain going to hold up as good as one designed for dual sport? Does it make any difference at all?

The DID ERT2 chain is unsealed (no o-ring or x-ring sealing grease in the links.)  It will wear faster, stretch sooner, and fail earlier than a sealed chain.  MX riders like the slightly lighter weight and lower drag of a non-sealed chain for competitive reasons.  Thus they're willing to change them out more often.

As you've already read elsewhere, the VX2 X-ring chain works great for these bikes.  If you want to spend more money the VT2 X-ring chain works too.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Chains, chains, or chains?    Chains, chains, or chains?  EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 7:07 pm

I didn't even check that the ert2 was sealed, it came up on an amazon 520 x ring chain search. poser2 I still shoulda checked that... Good looks
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Chains, chains, or chains?    Chains, chains, or chains?  EmptyThu Mar 23, 2017 7:15 pm

The stock chain is the odd ball of DID O ring chains.
It has a smaller pin diameter than any other DID O or X ring and cant be bought anymore. I'm guessing Yamaha has a ton of this chain to use up.
Pretty much any O or X ring chain is better than stock, DID's X rings are quite a bit tougher and longer lasting than the stock chain.

I have a JT X ring chain on my bike now, the local dealer is claiming they're as good as DID and it seams to be so far, it was cheaper to buy.
I had an SRT O ring chain before the JT, I don't recommend SRT chains for WRR/X's as its taller and eats into the slider more than other chains, its fine for other bikes tho.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chains, chains, or chains?    Chains, chains, or chains?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Chains, chains, or chains?
Page 1 of 1