Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Retired

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
66T

PostSubject: Retired   Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:24 am

Hi there, all.

The time has come, at almost 65, for me to stop chasing sheep around in the outback. I hate to admit it, but it's time to step aside and let younger and better people move in. Loved doing it, still love doing it. The thing is to give it away when I'm relatively uninjured, and those injuries I do have aren't bothering me too much yet.

So my old faithful TTR250 has been sold, as will the rest of my stuff over time. Except the WRR. At >36k and >2000hrs, the thing rides like a new one. Not altogether surprising, with the new cylinder only 4000km old. Apart from a cam chain, four fuel pumps and four stators, a few fork seals and a shock revalve, the bike has been pretty tough. Not even a clutch cable yet. The cylinder was my fault, I think, so I won't go there... Oh, and steering head bearings, but I think they come under the heading of maintenance. So I'm keeping this bike, because I'm not ready to give up dirt riding for a while yet.

The thing I'd like to know is this - why does my WRR get so long out of its chains and rear sprockets? Fronts I change as soon as they hook (4-5k), but 19000km from a chain and rear sprocket (all off road) is exceptional for our use. 14000 is usually about it. The old rear sprocket I've kept as a spare. It's still not bad at all. Currently, my chain and rear sprocket are up to more than 16000km, and still pretty good. Cool!

Anyway, a good little bike that punches well above its weight imo.

Note the Safari tank. This was translucent white when it was new. Ingrained dirt has made it tan.
Back to top Go down
bigg

PostSubject: Re: Retired   Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:39 pm

I think I speak for all of us when I say you've done us a great service abusing the bike the way you do Very happy Now I know what's likely to go wrong with mine in about another 50k km or so. thumb

My stock sprocket and chain lasted 35 000 km with still plenty of life left. Admittedly mostly street use, but being a daily commuter (and the crappy weather here) the chain doesn't get the love or maintenance it should (if I had to lube my chain after every ride in the rain, I'd be lubing it 4 days out of 7  poser2 ). My second chain was an RK chain that only lasted 15k km. Could be worse surely, but needless to say I'm back to DID now.

Congrats on your retirement. How does the saying go..? Life starts at 65 scratch or something like that.

Hope you keep abusing the little WRR. She likes it wink
Back to top Go down
66T

PostSubject: Re: Retired   Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks bigg. Yeah, not too happy about retiring in some ways, but the time is right.

35k! Mate, that is excellent, especially in your environment. Do you ride throughout winter? Don't say you do...

Just an observation about a lot of the bikes I see at my work: if they're maintained at all (and lots aren't), it's not unusual to find TTR250s and Kawasaki 250 Stockmans that have done >80,000km without much in the way of parts. Mostly, though, the bikes owned by the companies and ridden by anyone are abused. Even so, they still manage pretty big distances.

When it comes to blokes like me (ie contractors who supply our own everything for our bikes except fuel), the maintenance is usually much more frequent as no bike = no pay. That's why most of us have at least two in case of down times, and at times it does pay off.

Some contractors sell their bikes at 30K while they can get some decent money for them, and before things go wrong, but in the scheme of things they aren't much better off than those of us who keep ours until they wear out. It is nice to ride new machinery , though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Retired   

Back to top Go down

Retired
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1