Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Just bought my new R and have some questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Tue May 02, 2017 1:23 am

I bought a new '16 left over model about 2weeks ago and have about 300miles on it now. YAY! lol Have a few questions and hoping im posting in the right section.

1. What will void warranty besides the obvious of taking engine apart? I want to put a new 47/48 sprocket on, muffler, and probably the programmer and air box mod will void warranty I imagine. So I was thinking sprocket first then muffler. Which brings me to next question.

2. The muffler guard. Call me crazy but I like the way the muffler guard looks on it and I see the after market mufflers on other R's don't have the guard on it. Is it possible to put the guard on a after market one?

3. Any advice on more power without voiding the warranty? I have no clue if sprockets or mufflers will void warranty( I actually don't think they will...) but I imagine the air box mod and programmer will.

4. I am struggling if I want the 47 or 48 teeth sprocket. I cant decide. And what is the chain I have to get? Is it the 520 oring or?

I'm sure there is more to come and just...oh yeah different lights but that can wait. But definitely more questions to come
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Thu May 04, 2017 12:58 pm

dunno ?
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Thu May 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Congrats on the new bike!

1. This is a question for the dealer. I would expect a muffler to void the warranty, but a sprocket change should be fine.
  2. Not unless you somehow permanently attach some nuts on the new muffler.
  3. More power would necessitate changes either to the motor itself, or to intake and exhaust systems -- both of which would probably void the warranty
  4. Number of teeth is personal choice. What kind of situation have you encountered where the stock gearing is not satisfactory? The chain is a 520 O-Ring.
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Thu May 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Thank you!

I just got back from dealership. They said a sprocket and exhaust wouldn't void warranty. They said a programmer and air box mod might. As long as this stuff doesn't make the motor blow up it will be under warranty, especially if they do it they said.

Dealer wants $44 for 47 sprocket and they don't know if I need a new chain for the new sprocket. So do people know if I need a new chain for a 47 or 48 sprocket?

I ride mainly on roads so far but I do like off roading also. I just know it needs more low end. I mean how do you even pop a wheelie or ride wheelies with this stock bike? I haven't beat it up yet because its still breaking in.

Also, cell phone mount for handle bars? I have a galaxy s4 but need a new phone soon so im getting a s8 so I need a cell phone mount
Back to top Go down
VW_Lee

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Thu May 04, 2017 9:34 pm

You will need a longer chain to go with the larger rear sprocket. I recommend keeping the stock 13T front sprocket and going with a 47T rear sprocket. I have a 48T rear sprocket on mine now and it's a little too low, even with a larger than stock rear tire.  It does chug nice in the technical stuff, though. A 112 link chain is what you want for either. That way you will have room to swap if you decide to change it again.

I strongly recommend a D.I.D. X-ring chain. I had a cheapy O-ring chain on there for a long time, and the links would bind a little and not stay straight. They would then chew through the lower part of the chain slider very quickly. Look up the chain slider issue and make sure you keep that chain adjusted at all times. The X-ring chain feels just about as flexible as a standard chain, and my slider is lasting much longer. I'm using this one: D.I.D. 520 Pro-Street VX2 Series X-Ring Motorcycle Chain

The bottom line is the engine makes its power in the higher revs. You can get it to wheelie, but you have to work at it. The lower gearing will make a huge difference, it really transforms the bike. The downside is your speedometer will really be off. It's off from the factory (reads too high), but lower gearing makes it even worse. I recommend the following product: Speedo DRD

Before you get too carried away with mounting things on your handlebars, decide whether or not you will be wanting to upgrade to a set of Pro Bends or similar. The stock bars are pretty chintzy.

Lee
Back to top Go down
Irishman301

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Thu May 04, 2017 10:13 pm

I did all of the basic uncorking mods to my last dirt bike (gearing, airbox, exhaust, carb rejet), and it didn't affect my warranty. I actually had to use the warranty twice...once because they sold me the wrong oil filter and it caused my engine to seize...long story, but point being was that none of my mods affected anything. I had to use the warranty again when the starter crapped out on me. Again, nothing was voided.

As far as the air box mod goes, take a look at the way that cycle cruza on YouTube does it. He simply just bought a second airbox door which remains uncut. He then cut a big hole in the original to allow for the needed airflow. I'd post a link, but I'm new so I can't. This way you can always undo anything that you did before taking it into the shop (if ever needed).

Additionally, just save any parts that you remove so you can always put them back on if it comes down to you needing to take the bike into the shop for any reason.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Thu May 04, 2017 10:25 pm

Not to be rude, just a little advise, besides for your warranty question, which might be on here somewhere too, most of these questions have been asked on here before. For that reason most members get upset about answering the same question for every new member. Versus you searching for it yourself... It kinda explains the lack of responses you received at first... This forum alone has weeks worth of reading/researching you can do on it.

I'm running 13/47 with a 112 link, a 110 link would fit fine, but stock is 108. I think someone squeezed in a 46 or 47 on a semi streached 108 but said it was really tight n theu wouldn't try it again. Nice thread stickied in the sprockets and chains section on here. They are simple to install... If the dealers quote includes installation that's not bad. I paid $40 for my pd aluminum n around 10 for the hardware. Depending on what sprocket you get you should pick up a tapered bolt kit, some have tapered holes so the tapered bolts are a good idea, vs putting the sprocket on backwards...

Like the last guy said a speedo healer or drd is a must if you want an accurate speedo even with stock gearing... the wrr speedo is off by about 7.7% from the factory according to the speedo drd website... When I adjust mine it takes all of five minutes including pullin the seat n putting it back on... Install only took fifteenish... It really is a plug n play part...

Another good site off this forum is gearing commander. Also if you are on a budget a 12t front will change the ratio to about the same as a 13/46.5, no chain needed... It does have negatives to it... Increased wear from same tooth same link which is explained on gearing commander along with some reporting more vibes, noise, and increased chain slider wear.

Aside from this I'd suggest looking into suspension upgrades instead of power. They run from a couple hundred, getting a racetech kit n doin it yourself, I think cheaper than a muffler or header still, to around a grand to send it to go race, if your in the states. There's also hyper pro suspension available... Completely aftermarket shocks without much for reviews as they are newer to the market... There's posts on here for all these. It is your bike n u should really do your own research to get your desired outcome... You will find power is controversial. Some report feeling a difference with mods others don't. The dynos I've found suggest the greatest improvements from a bigbore kit or the likes with a programmer of some sort.. Athena or thumper racing. It is hard to find the reliability info on these mods tho... Like someone that put 30k on either bigbore kit... I very highly doubt that either would be covered under warranty even tho the Athena kit is also gytr. Even if the dealer does the install, it is major engine work with an aftermarket jug. They would be the ones to ask about it.. I haven't found one person that has regretted doing a quality suspension upgrade tho... deal

Oh n look into tps and c1 settings.

This is my playlist on youtube specifically for the wrr, with other links you should check out...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqSIb9Z9IJC6kmItstJGWj13N787yVNA9

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5-chains-and-sprockets
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Thu May 04, 2017 10:35 pm

For cell phone mounts, look at RAM Mounts.

Wheelies are all about technique, not power.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Thu May 04, 2017 10:36 pm

Ohh n my wheelie vid is first to second with the bike still stock... I might have the d606 on it, which is a little taller, so gearing the opposite way... I think I put an aftermarket taillight on when I installed the 12t front sprocket tho...
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Fri May 05, 2017 3:31 am

Thank you guys. I just did a quick read over of the comments and will be back on tomorrow to study them and the links. I really studied before I bought this bike. Probably like 25hrs of online looking and just couldn't remember the mods part of what is what, and a lot of searching and reading to find info I need. I got rid of my Kawasaki kdx200 couple years ago and wanted something street legal. So this bike was definitely better than the other 2, Honda and Kawasaki 250s street legal ones. The kdx had more power but not a lot(it was 2stroke also) but this bike definitely has more top end. Me being use to more power that's why I wanted the sprocket for more low end and other mods after for more power.

Oh im from upstate and I see you're from upstate also dicklane. If you put your finger in the middle of NY state that's where im from that's why I put central NY. Shit weather for the next week or so, so wont be really doing anything to bike but maybe ordering parts.

I knew about the speedo thing from srmoto. Probably buying a lot of stuff through them. Just so much stuff to take in and remember all at once.
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Fri May 05, 2017 9:40 am

I was usuing a 13/48 combo for a while but it was a bit much (low) for the street. I have since went to a 14/48 combo and it is perfect. It will do 65 or even 70 all day and it has enough grunt for off road. I just got back from the Smokey mountains and the bike climbed some NASTY stuff in 2nd gear like a champ. All of this on a 112 link chain. Go here:

http://sprocketcenter.com/520-chain-kit-jt-brand-steel-sprocket-set-with-your-choice-of-chain-yamaha-wr250r-08-15.html
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Fri May 05, 2017 9:16 pm

What size is the stock handle bars? 1 1/8 or 7/8 or?

Is the stock back sprocket tapered bolts?

Im trying to get a idea on stuff I want to buy. Like I want to get rid of those tall stock mirrors and find smaller mirrors. Any ideas? Also im looking into hand guards and like the ram mounts or other mounts for cell phones so I know what size to get or that fits stock handlebars. And trying to figure out if I need new bolts for the rear sprocket.
Back to top Go down
VW_Lee

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Fri May 05, 2017 9:28 pm

The stock bars are 7/8". You can get adapters to fit the oversize bars on there.

The stock rear sprocket uses non-tapered bolts. I think pretty much all the aftermarket sprockets use the commonly available tapered bolts, so be sure to get a set of those.

I like the Doubletake mirrors with the small ram mounts.

The Cycra hand guards seem to be doing a good job for me. Mine are the ones that mount to the triple clamps.

Lee
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Sat May 06, 2017 3:12 am

Thank you. Will the Rizoma mirrors mount right in if I unscrew the stock mirrors? I'm looking at the Rizoma Dynamic Mirror or couple others at motostrano.com
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Sat May 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Be aware that the LH mirror perch is reverse threaded, so make sure whatever mirrors you buy have this option.

Edit: Sorry, it's the RH mirror that is reverse-threaded.

Last edited by johnkol on Sat May 06, 2017 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Sat May 06, 2017 2:41 pm

johnkol wrote:
Be aware that the LH mirror perch is reverse threaded, so make sure whatever mirrors you buy have this option.

My memory might be off or your lookin at the bike the other way... I think it's the throttle side, RH sitting on the bike... I just reused the stock adapter that came with the bike. No big deal for whatever side it is...

If your lookin into mirrors and handguards there's the highway dirt bike option. They have mirrors in the handguards that flip out. It's worth checking out. I see a bunch of people running them but I don't have the link. Search highway dirtbike handguards n they should come up...

With my stock handle bars I had to use some shims to get my handguards to bolt up. The stock steel tubing is thinner walled than aluminum. I think I used a layer of cut up tire tube to make it fit tight...

Stock mirror thread pitch is 10mm x 1.25... I don't know what the Rizoma mirrors come with...
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Sat May 06, 2017 5:07 pm

dicklane625 wrote:
My memory might be off or your lookin at the bike the other way...

No, your memory is correct, mine was wrong, it is the RH mirror that is reverse-threaded.

Rocky Mountain, Procycle, and Wheeling Cycle Supply have sections dedicated to the WRR, so it might be worth your time looking there.
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Sun May 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Thank you guys. Ordering some of that stuff tonight or tomorrow when I get time off from work.
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Mon May 08, 2017 7:13 pm

I just ordered from sprocketcenter.com The 520 chain kit. 14 front 47 back sprockets, DID vx2 gold xring rivet master link.  Bolt Hub Savers Sprocket Bolt Kit just in case I needed bolts. And Speedo-DRD Speedometer Calibrator Y1. $200 order. Does all of that look good and right? I'm not even going to use the 14 front sprocket, I just wanted the chain and back sprocket and I figured I would have the 14 for future purposes in case of whatever. Oh and in comments I told them i wanted the 112 link chain in case 110 wasn't enough or to take out 2 links to make it 110 if 112 too big
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Mon May 08, 2017 8:40 pm

The stock sprocket has some weird hard plastic. When I was running stock it flattened my chain on the inside. I think it was the front sprocket cause it stopped when I took it off, I could see it rubbin on it with the cover removed, and there were indents on the plastic.... It stopped getting worse when I swapped it out. You can pick one up for cheap to avoid this or run as is and let me know if it is the stock sprocket causing this...I think yamy put it there to reduce noise/ as a cheap form of a cush drive... New 13t is only gonna be 20-25$ so not to much... Cheaper than the chain it may wear out...

If you don't have a rivet tool you will need one... I tried using the amazon cheapo for 20 bucks or something like that... It got the job done but defiantly has no quality tool steel included in the kit.. I'm workin on upgrading just the riveter part so it doesn't mushroom like it did... The other part of that is to do it correctly you need a micrometer to measure your rivet heads... This is to do it word for word by the book... Some say you don't need it...

Look into a case saver or moddin the stock one. The stock one gets packed with dirt/mud. It is only three bolts to pull it off when you wash the bike... It's part farkle part function... It looks nicer and doesn't get packed with mud nearly as bad so the chain will stay cleaner. Cleaner the chain stays the longer it will last... It might take awhile to say it saved you money on chains, but it looks so fly...

Here's the thread for a common case saver-
http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1496-sandman-parts-wr250r-x-parts-for-sale
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Tue May 09, 2017 2:14 am

Well I hope stock front sprocket doesn't cause any damage, but I will keep an eye on things. I seen your gold one you ordered and if do get one it will be gold also to match the chain and forks. Thursday and Friday are my days off and its suppose to be at least 60 so if its not bad im going out to enjoy my new bike some more. Probably next week i'll get that order delivered unless its fast shipping, and I hope everything in order Is correct that I ordered and actually comes in my order to my house. Seems like everything I ordered is correct.

Next im buying is that ugly big rear license plate holder delete kit.The DRC Edge Tail Like kit (or commonly referred to as Edge2). Looking at srmoto(soloracer.com) for that. I just don't if I want the smoke back light and blinkers or red and orange. Don't really know if its legal in NY or if the cops will hassle me about the smoke color. Does any one know? Also those zeta hand guards at same site with the blinkers in them I would like to get smoke color also instead of orange, but again I don't know if smoke is legal in NY, and do I have to get the Turn Signal Running Light Adapter for the front blinkers in handguard for it to be legal? I think I do but you know spending $35... Plus the Fixed Rate Turn Signal Flasher for the hand guards blinkers is $30...

Also those damn mirrors got to go also.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Tue May 09, 2017 2:29 pm

http://ypdcrime.com/vt/article9.htm#t383.

three quarters of the way down is vtl for motorcycles, S381... You need a bunch of stuff, but straight pipes aren't permitted. I see n hear a lot of cruiser riders that should get a ticket before me... The one highway in bing had a db limit sign on it. I think it was 94 or 96, it was 9something... Tons of tractor trailers hittin the jakebreak goin thru there. It seemed as tho they were saying fuck you to the sign...

Back to top Go down
dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Tue May 09, 2017 8:07 pm

I'm bored... I don't think anyone suggested a skid plate to you yet. I didn't feel like readin thro it all again tho.. For offroad this is a must have n should be on top of a priority list...
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Wed May 10, 2017 2:53 am

Yeah I read some of that and seeing red quite a bit...damn. But also what bikes come with red reflectors up front?... I don't go that far south as Bing, I ride/drive from Central and up north(more woods/trails and more fun roads with less police). I wont need a skid plate right away but in the future. I don't plan on making bike loud either, just the usual probably Q4
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   Wed May 10, 2017 9:15 am

The red reflector just has to be visible 200ft from the rear... I think the taillight, at least, with the brighter integrated board should be fine for this. I haven't been harassed yet.. My bike passes inspection with the drd/zeta setup, n I passed my road test with it on the bike. A cop might want to be dick about not havin a true reflector. That article does say that it can be the taillight, as long as it's big enough n visible from 200ft, so I think you could fight it in court. It may be just a fixit ticket... Just hope it's raining the next day... The cop won't come outa the office to check it. (This actually happened to me with a car once.) scratch I almost told him I was bullshitting him just to get his ass outside n do his job. poser2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just bought my new R and have some questions   

Back to top Go down

Just bought my new R and have some questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next