Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Would a softer seat help my issue?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bigchevy73

Would a softer seat help my issue? Empty
PostSubject: Would a softer seat help my issue?   Would a softer seat help my issue? EmptyWed May 31, 2017 12:44 am

After riding about 20 minutes on the road, seated the whole time, when I get off the bike I notice that my crotch and such are tingly and numb, like when a limb falls asleep.

Obviously this isn't a pleasant feeling, so I've been contemplating getting a seat concepts seat to see if that helps. I think they are a little softer.

I figured I would ask first, see if there is any experience with this, and a solution.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Would a softer seat help my issue?   Would a softer seat help my issue? EmptyWed May 31, 2017 1:41 am

In my experience softer seats make the problem worse, not better.

Before you buy anything, try an experiment: ride the bike sitting slightly to the side, i.e. one butt cheek on the saddle, the other slightly off; switch sides every 15 minutes.

If problem persists, then consider getting some padded bicycle shorts; wear these instead of underwear and see whether problem still exists.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Would a softer seat help my issue?   Would a softer seat help my issue? EmptyWed May 31, 2017 10:45 am

bigchevy73 wrote:
After riding about 20 minutes on the road, seated the whole time, when I get off the bike I notice that my crotch and such are tingly and numb, like when a limb falls asleep.

Obviously this isn't a pleasant feeling, so I've been contemplating getting a seat concepts seat to see if that helps. I think they are a little softer.

I figured I would ask first, see if there is any experience with this, and a solution.

Thanks.

In your case I don't think a SC seat would hurt and probably would help a bit, but..

It depends on a lot of things....

If you are a big guy softer does not help but if you are a smaller person it may.

The Seat Concepts seats are suppose to work well up to about 240 lbs.  After that they recommend that you request a denser (harder) foam.  A buddy of mine has a SC seat with a 2% increase in the foam density and it works well for him - first one they sent was the standard foam.  He is 6'-4" and around 250.

Also you can try the cycling shorts like Johnkol recommends (they do help a bit) and/or a cheap ATV seat pad from Walmart.

I have a couple of seats for my WRR, a Renazco and a Seat Concepts Tall.  Not sure where you live but if close to ATL you could borrow one for a bit to see if it helps.

A couple of years ago I use to have problems with tail bone pain and numbness on long rides and kept blaming the seat - hence the reason for multiple seats.  Turns out my lower back was the culprit and not the seat.  So after PT, Yoga, and Acupuncture for the last year things are getting better - no meds required.  

No sure how old you are but I am 57 and things sort of start to fall apart if you don't invest in your body from time to time.
Back to top Go down
bigchevy73

PostSubject: Re: Would a softer seat help my issue?   Would a softer seat help my issue? EmptyWed May 31, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm up in MN, so I won't be able to test run your seats, steiger, but I'll definitely try the loading one cheek heavier next time I ride.

I'm basically 6 foot and 235 pounds, so up there on the "recommended" weight, working on dropping some though, so maybe in the future I'll grab the seat concepts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would a softer seat help my issue?   Would a softer seat help my issue? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would a softer seat help my issue?
Page 1 of 1