Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Shifted into first gear without using clutch!

Go down 
+3
Jens Eskildsen
johnkol
kev93
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kev93

Shifted into first gear without using clutch! Empty
PostSubject: Shifted into first gear without using clutch!   Shifted into first gear without using clutch! EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 11:02 pm

I have a brand new wr250r with 65 miles on it. Anyway, Bike was sitting idiling warming up so my wife could go for a ride and she shifted into first gear without pulling in the clutch. Of course the bike lunged forward and stalled. 
Opinions on if this would have damaged anything?
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Shifted into first gear without using clutch!   Shifted into first gear without using clutch! EmptyThu Jul 06, 2017 1:15 am

Probably not, but don't get into the habit of doing this on a regular basis.

Just to give you an idea, almost all racers shift without using the clutch (although not for first gear), but towards the end of a race as one gets tired a lot of mis-shifts occur. After years of such abuse I opened my gear box and found just slight wear, nothing requiring new gears.

Of course there is always the possibility that one mis-shift could have occurred in just the wrong way to grenade the entire gear box, but this does not appear to be the case here. Try cranking the engine and see if you can hear strange noises; if not, then you're good.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Shifted into first gear without using clutch!   Shifted into first gear without using clutch! EmptyThu Jul 06, 2017 4:11 pm

That little mishap cant do any harm, no worries.
Back to top Go down
kev93

PostSubject: Re: Shifted into first gear without using clutch!   Shifted into first gear without using clutch! EmptyFri Jul 07, 2017 1:19 am

I am sure hoping that it could not damage anything. I am having thoughts of gear damage and little pieces of metal floating around inside. Just freaking out a little I suppose. Saved money for along time to buy new bike, Just hoping no damage.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Shifted into first gear without using clutch!   Shifted into first gear without using clutch! EmptyFri Jul 07, 2017 2:01 am

Just FYI, motorcycle gearboxes are not like manual gearboxes in cars; this difference in operation allows them to be shifted without using the clutch, whereas attempting to do the same with the manual gearbox in a car would result in some gear damage.

So if your anxiety is based on what you know about cars, relax, shifting without the clutch is perfectly fine on a motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Shifted into first gear without using clutch!   Shifted into first gear without using clutch! EmptySun Jul 09, 2017 7:54 am

kev93 wrote:
I am sure hoping that it could not damage anything. I am having thoughts of gear damage and little pieces of metal floating around inside. Just freaking out a little I suppose.  Saved money for along time to buy new bike, Just hoping no damage.

I would not sweat it.

I had a 2003 KTM 450 EXC once and the hydraulic clutch failed on me during a ride when I was about 100 miles away from home. I would start the bike in neutral and try to find a little hill that I could coast down and then jam it into first - sometimes there wasn't a hill and I would just have to jam it into first.

Once I got it moving I tried everything not to stop but there were 6 or 7 times where I was forced to stop.

When I got home I replaced the clutch slave cylinder and rode that bike for many years after without an issue and that was a KTM!
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Shifted into first gear without using clutch!   Shifted into first gear without using clutch! EmptyWed Jul 19, 2017 7:36 pm

I agree. The number of times I've been sitting on my bike with it idling as sheep wander along and I've inadvertently knocked the gearlever into first would number about 20, I reckon. Comes of squirming around looking behind, or just talking to a workmate and not thinking etc etc.

While it's definitely bad practice, as long as there's no throttle being applied it should be ok. Having said that, my old TTR250 was hard on clutch cables, and I've had to do as above and jam it into gear until the job was done and get back to base for a replacement. Clutchless everything for hours! Poor bike. Still going after nearly 13 years.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Shifted into first gear without using clutch!   Shifted into first gear without using clutch! EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Kinda off topic, but funny story... I had a beater a truck, a Chevy Silverado v6 5 speed... I had slave cylinder issues, broke the bleed bolt, it was an 01 so the slave cylinder could only be removed after the bell housing was off... I could drive that thing with no clutch. If I put slight pressure on first gear it would start to creep forward, even heading up a slight hill. I'd get it moving a little, pull back the stick n gently put it in first. I am curious as to how this worked still. I'm guessing it was transferring power through the syncros somehow.... I thought I was screwed when it happened, and I had to go past several red lights to get it home. Besides for delaying the people behind me with my snail like take offs it worked, and I drove it like that on and off for months, I'd jimmy rig it and it'd eventually fail again. She showed no signs of damage when I drove it to a junk a yard.
Back to top Go down
N8

PostSubject: Re: Shifted into first gear without using clutch!   Shifted into first gear without using clutch! EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 9:25 pm

If it was a KTM it would need a full rebuild but since it's a WRR it's actually just part of the break-in procedure.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Shifted into first gear without using clutch!   Shifted into first gear without using clutch! EmptyMon Jul 24, 2017 3:44 am

N8 wrote:
If it was a KTM it would need a full rebuild but since it's a WRR it's actually just part of the break-in procedure.

Ow! but haa haaa!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shifted into first gear without using clutch!   Shifted into first gear without using clutch! Empty

Back to top Go down

Shifted into first gear without using clutch!
Page 1 of 1