Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

A chump is stumped, WR won't start

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
on2wheels52

PostSubject: A chump is stumped, WR won't start   Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:51 pm

'08 WR250R, I've had it six months, third owner. It had been fine, motocamped with it to SLAP in May. Ridden at least once a week (I have other bikes also).
Fired it up one morning, pushed it outside, was getting a helmet and it died. Made no unusual noise, was like the key had been turned off. Hasn't started since.
About once out of a dozen attempts it will give one (1) pop/backfire.
Diag mode lists four codes, 30 (lean angle sensor, PO disabled)   33 (primary ignition circuit; swapped out plug pack-no change, and it worked in WR II    41 (lean angle sensor again)    70 (left idling control-should still start and run)
As fate would have it I found another WR for sale two miles from my house (on Facebook no less  Rolling Eyes )
So I still have one to ride and swap parts from. Reading about the issues with the fuel pump, I really expected it to start with the WR II tank. Nope. And of course II fired up with I's tank.
New spark plug installed of course. Nice blue sparks emitted.
I've done my best a couple of times to 'prime' the cylinder. But none of the mentioned pop/backfires occurred after doing so.
Crank position checked in range (248-372 ohm).
I gather it's not easy to do a compression  check with the auto compression release. But holding a rubber plug over the plug hole there seemed normal resistance.
I can't imagine something catastrophic has happened, I expect the solution to be something simple. I'd sure like to know what it is  baldy
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: A chump is stumped, WR won't start   Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Did you look at the sticky's at the top of this forum?

There is one that you should take a look at:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5549-bike-won-t-start-try-this

How many miles on the bike? I have heard of a more than one WRR needed the valves adjusted before 26,000 miles so I would add that to the list of things to check.
Back to top Go down
on2wheels52

PostSubject: Re: A chump is stumped, WR won't start   Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks for the reply rs.
And yes, I'd read through the sticky, even investigated the connector by the radiator.
Went through a bunch of google searches for WR won't start (and others).
19k miles on it, it could be the valves need adjustment but I can't imagine that accounting for the way it died and the failure to restart. It ran so well the week before (82 mph on gps, not that I make a habit of doing so).
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: A chump is stumped, WR won't start   Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:15 pm

on2wheels52 wrote:
Thanks for the reply rs.
And yes, I'd read through the sticky, even investigated the connector by the radiator.
Went through a bunch of google searches for WR won't start (and others).
19k miles on it, it could be the valves need adjustment but I can't imagine that accounting for the way it died and the failure to restart. It ran so well the week before (82 mph on gps, not that I make a habit of doing so).

I agree that valves would not explain why is stopped the way it did.

I assume you checked all the hoses for a possible vacuum leak at the throttle body.

My bike gets into this no start mode every so often. In the past I have pulled the lean sensor and ECM and gave them a good blast of WD40 on the connectors. Interestingly enough my tip over sensor never really worked until I gave a good shot of WD40 through a vent hole.

I can tell that it won't start because it will give a 'pop' during the initial start. At that point I go wide open throttle and crank for about 30 seconds or so. Then I let it rest for about 10 or 20 seconds and do the WOT thing again and eventually you will hear the bike wanting to start. I just keep cranking and she fires up.

I have never figured out what causes this but it does it about every 6 months - especially after sitting for awhile without running.

If I ride it on a regular basis this is never a problem.

I did have it do the idle time out thing once (if it idles for more than 20 minutes it will shut itself off) but it started up right after that.
Back to top Go down
on2wheels52

PostSubject: Re: A chump is stumped, WR won't start   Today at 10:00 am

I picked it up from Yamaha of Harrison last week.
They said it was flooded scratch
They put in (another) new spark plug. Certainly worth the $48 they charged.
Back to top Go down
TwelveGaugeSage

PostSubject: Re: A chump is stumped, WR won't start   Today at 3:49 pm

So you're saying you took it to a dealer, the put in a new spark plug, and it is working fine now or it still is having problems?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A chump is stumped, WR won't start   

Back to top Go down

A chump is stumped, WR won't start
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1