Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Looking for new ait filter

Go down 
+2
YZEtc
JusTheUsual
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JusTheUsual

Looking for new ait filter Empty
PostSubject: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 4:46 am

Looking for suggestions on new air filter. I already had the stock blown out to help some but its starting to clog a little again. 5400miles when had it blown out and now 5800miles. Brand new bike and already put that many miles on it so far this year Peace YAM lol

I first noticed when the power felt less, like it had to work a little for the power and blown out filter and it was roaring again but now feels like its working for power. Also put new sparkplug in it. Oil has been changed like 4 times. So looking for suggestions for a new and better filter than stock that lets in more air for more horsepower. So like if I ordered the K&N air filter do I have to buy anything else besides filter? I seen like on rockymountain website some of the filters I have to buy something else. so I just don't want to order air filter only to find out I needed something else with it.

Any suggestions on some better air filters than stock to let in more air for more horsepower and if I need anything else besides air filter
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 6:48 am

You have the original air filter, made out of foam?
That's called an oiled foam air filter.

You don't "blow it out" with compressed air to get rid of the trapped dirt.
You remove it from the metal guide and soak it with foam air filter cleaner (a liquid).
You squeeze out the dirt, then wash the filter with soapy water to remove remnants of the air filter cleaner and any last traces of dirt.
After that, you dry the foam completely.
Next, you immerse the foam into a special oil called FOAM FILTER OIL.
Squeeze out the excess oil.
Put the foam filter back on the metal guide and install the filter assembly back onto the bike.

Go to YouTube and search these words for plenty of how-to videos:
Cleaning dirt bike foam filters

If you ride off-road at all, you will need to do this often.

Where is your Owner's Manual?
This is detailed in there.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 1:42 pm

+1 on yzetc's response.

To add a little more. This service should be performed at 4000, 7000, 10,000, 13,000, and 16,000.... More than that depending on how much dirt is getting filtered, ie, more dusty areas and more off road means you need more filter cleanings. I use no toil filter cleaner and oil, the oil has some sort of alcohol mixed in to make it easier to apply, make sure if your using this you shake the bottle really good before use, you let this alcohol evaporate before you reinstall in the airbox, this stuff "dries" and becomes super sticky. There are many brands to choose from though. Also since it sounds like your new at this, more oil is not better. You need to have enough, but too much and you'll be running rich.

Some people like the k and n filter some don't. GYTR makes one for the ttr 230 that's supposed to fit.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 3:51 pm

I service my airfilter after about every other (dirt)ride, or after every enduro.

Blasting along on the street does next to nothing on the condition of the airfilter, so dont worry too much there.

Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 5:23 am

I removed it today, blew it out again, and put it back upside down (reverse direction it was before). Runs better. It definitely needs a new air filter. It's so dark grey color and just looks filthy. 5800 miles since May and 99.9% on road.

Looking for a better one for more hp that allows more air in.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 12:04 pm

JusTheUsual wrote:
I removed it today, blew it out again, and put it back upside down (reverse direction it was before). Runs better. It definitely needs a new air filter. It's so dark grey color and just looks filthy. 5800 miles since May and 99.9% on road.

Looking for a better one for more hp that allows more air in.

So you blew it out but did not clean it per the manual or the recommendations above?

Not sure why you are asking for help.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 1:18 pm

Looking for new ait filter Giphy
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 4:06 pm

wwguy wrote:
Looking for new ait filter Giphy

Can we add that to the emojis somehow. It's better than the crappy smiley popcorn dude.
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter EmptyFri Aug 25, 2017 5:34 am

I don't have all the chemicals to clean it and I'd rather buy a new one from the problems the stock one is giving me. Plus I know there is got to be better after market air filters that I've been asking recommendations for. After more studying I seen the toil superflo(the better one) has a cage or whatever its called to buy with it if you buy that one. So I got more info now but still searching
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter EmptyFri Aug 25, 2017 10:01 am

You can clean it with kerosene, diesel, heck normal fuel will work in a pinch.
Rinse with soapy water, and apply airfilteroil. Motoroil can be used as a substitute, eventhough its not as good.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter EmptySun Aug 27, 2017 10:14 pm

You do realize what ever air filter you do purchase will require the cleaning process everyone has described here. After cleaning it will require oiling as well.

That being said one can say it is generally a good idea to have a spare air filter that has been cleaned and oiled in case you have to change one out quickly and don't have the time to do a proper cleaning.

The stock air filter is not that bad but it is a bit pricier than some other options out there. I have both a stock and a Unifilter brand air filter for my WRR and swap back and forth when one is due for cleaning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for new ait filter   Looking for new ait filter Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for new ait filter
Page 1 of 1