Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

GPS/Holders

Go down 
+24
DoctorDR
wrik
LacRouge
BigBird
bikepsych
ramz
X-Racer
Crawdaddy
wildmotha
SpiritWolf15
Jäger
wahilde
Addicted
1moreroad
asheville thumper
scottmac
Machtig
flatboarder
bman
mwakey
f3joel
Don T
eastcoastzigzag
SheWolf
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 10:37 am

Who's got GPS for their scoots? I have a Garmin eTrex I use for work, but need to get a decent mount that will work with the bike. Anyone know of any good ones?

eastcoastzigzag

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 1:21 pm

touratech gps mounts are my fav. i use one for my garmin quest.

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_mounts.html
Back to top Go down
Don T

Don T

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 2:53 pm

I use a Garmin Zümo and a Touratech mount.

The Touratech mounts is very high quality.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 7:54 pm

I want to get a Garmin 60csx and a ram mount.
Probably won't though as it is a little pricey.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 9:49 pm

I don't have one on my bike yet, only in the truck, but here are some mounts I've been looking at for the future...

Tech Mounts

Cycle Gadgets

Two Wheel Radio
Back to top Go down
bman

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 2:56 pm

f3joel wrote:
I want to get a Garmin 60csx and a ram mount.
Probably won't though as it is a little pricey.

I have both the Garmin 60C and a Garmin Zumo 450. I use the 60c mainly on my WR because it is smaller and fits better. The Zumo works better on my KLR.

BOTH of these units work very well if you use the RAM mounts they can be positioned in just about any way on the bars. I would also suggest that you wire in the DC connection to the battery so that you have no worries on long rides.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 9:20 pm

What did that eTrex set you back, Scott?

Alpha Rider
SheWolf

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 11:23 pm

You can mount your Nintendo DS right next to that... Very happy Damn that thing is pretty big! eeek

flatboarder

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 pm

I am trying to keep handlbar clear. All those Ram mounts and Touratech holders seem too big to me. They may be of use for hard riding, Rallyes, whatever, but I will stick to standard bicycles holder for my Oregon. I do it this way. There is a thick and soft anti vibration rubber layer wound around bar stay (this is not my WR...) that should protect device from shaking and prevent it from popping out of cradle. Right now I cannot tell how much of offroad riding this installation can take. At least, when it gets really rough I may put Oregon unit into some pocket or whatever. I do not need any locking features, since I will take device with me when leaving bike. So, this is a cheap and minimal solution that probably is not so bad at all. Also the device is less exposed to crashing or certain impacts since it is mounted closely at center of handlebar.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 5:26 pm

SheWolf wrote:
You can mount your Nintendo DS right next to that... Very happy Damn that thing is pretty big! eeek

I thought you liked 'em big dunno Very happy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 7:07 pm

Anything big, and makes lots of noise. Crap...guess the stock can has got to go. poser2

scottmac

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 8:26 pm

SheWolf wrote:

The 60Csx and Touratech mount ran just shy of $500
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 8:40 am

+1 on the RAM mounts. I have a Magellan Triton, Garmin Quest, and Garmin Nuvi and the best thing is I can switch them out depending on need and the same mount works. Just need a unit specific cradle. Did a lot of searching for the best mount and I came to the conclusion that the RAM products were less bulky and fit 7/8 and fatbars in almost any location. They also have so many different options for arm lengths so you can get the best fit for your bars.
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Garmin 2720 from GPSonsale.com with Garmin mount. I use an bicycle toe clip as a "backup" connection.

GPS/Holders 2990959882_7dcbc922f8_o
Back to top Go down
Addicted

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 4:27 pm

scottmac wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

The 60Csx and Touratech mount ran just shy of $500

That's the setup I want!

I have a Magellan Crossover on my WRR with a ram mount, but the Crossover sucks IMHO.
I also have a micro tank bag on a ram mount as an experiment. So far, it has worked fairly well.
The nice part is that the stuff can come on and off easily depending on whether you are exploring or hardcore trail riding.

GPS/Holders IMG_2651
Back to top Go down
wahilde

wahilde

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyTue May 12, 2009 2:29 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Who's got GPS for their scoots? I have a Garmin eTrex I use for work, but need to get a decent mount that will work with the bike. Anyone know of any good ones?

I have been using a Garmin Etrex Vista for years on my KLR650 and now on my WRR. The same setup works perfectly for both. I ordered the handlebar mount from Garmin's site. Just buy a foot (nah, buy two feet then cut as needed) of 7/8" heater hose at an auto parts store. Punch a couple of small holes through the ends of the hose so you can zip tie it to the base of your handle bars. The idea is that you will end up with an arch of heater hose that is loosely zip tied to the bike so the GPS doesn't get all the vibration from the bike. Attach your Etrex handlebar mount to the top of the arch of heater hose. It works great. No bolts or fancy over-priced crap. Just a few zip-ties, a foot of heater hose, and the handlebar mount for your Etrex. It reallly does a great job of keeping vibration from playing hell with your GPS. The longer and floppier the hose, the better it is at keeping vibration from the GPS.

Here's a blurry pic of the hose mount (as opposed to RAM mount):
Etrex heater hose mount on WR250R
And here's a pic of the GPS attached only seconds later:
Etrex mounted on WR250R with heater hose

It's cheap, indestructable, doesn't require precious handlebar space that you might not have, and does a great job of isolating the GPS from vibration.

Last edited by wahilde on Wed May 13, 2009 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyFri May 15, 2009 1:21 am

MeefZah wrote:
Any waterproof, smaller GPS would serve nicely as they almost all have similar
features and I think all use Navteq mapping (which means the maps are
the same, although the format they are presented in may be
different between makers).
All Canadian topographic mapping will be derived from NRCan's digital mapping, presumably with royalties going to the government. Those of you who are in the GIS biz like myself will find the shapefiles and other data at NRCAN's website if you feel up to making your own high resolution Garmin files. I made exactly one. But, I can compare my uber high quality onboard mapping on a Trimble GeoXH to my Garmin, and frankly, having orthophotos, 5 meter hypsography, whatever, does not enhance the useability of the mapping in the slightest. If I'm doing a GPS survey in my profession, yes, but otherwise the Garmin topo maps are just fine.

Quote :
RAM mounts are absolutely the way to go - incredibly tough and versatile.
IF they fit your GPS and IF they allow you to hook up to 12VDC. In the case of my Garmin 530Hcx, it don't work.

So, I guess I'm going to have to search for a useful mount for my GPS, or see about kludging something together. I usually just have my GPS in my breast pocket, but I want to see if I will get more out of it if it is down by the instrument cluster.

Quote :
This picture also shows my 12VDC outlet to the left of the GPS. I normally power the GPS with that, but the cable is not pictured.
And I guess I have to find somebody like you who knows how to do a professional wiring job to provide me with an outlet as an alternative to battery power. Not so much for the Garmin, but for the Trimble units.

Use your bike for work... write the bike purchase off...
Back to top Go down

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 3:46 pm

Delorme PN-40SE here. A fantastic unit...
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:47 pm

I personally like Shewolf's current setup for GPS storage Very happy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 8:54 pm

You mean this?

GPS/Holders Img_1010

Considering it didn't cost me anything and has held up to a lot of shit and abuse, I won't complain.

SpiritWolf15

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 8:56 pm

SheWolf wrote:
You mean this?

Considering it didn't cost me anything and has held up to a lot of shit and abuse, I won't complain.

Oh yeah! Thats what I'm talking about =3
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 12:44 pm

Wahilde: Great mount!!! I also have the eTrex vista. I ordered a standard handlebar mount and the damn thing did not fit anywhere on my stock handlebars. baldy

Now that's the solution I was looking for! Thanks for that! thumb
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 11:50 pm

THANK YOU WAHILDE!!

That mount is awesome. I used to mount my GPS to the mirror with zip ties and the damn thing just couldn't deal with the vibration. So I came up with this rig based on your intelligence...works great!! No more stalling on the GPS's part.

GPS/Holders DSC01413

It's a little "jerry rigged," but it works great. Got an actual handlebar mount on the way. I found the plastic cradle in the garage and cut it to work and than zip tied the hell out of it. Finally I can navigate without problems and know how fast I'm going (12T sprocket).

Thanks Man!!
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 1:43 pm

bman wrote:
........Garmin 60csx and a ram mount....... the RAM mounts they can be positioned in just about any way on the bars. I would also suggest that you wire in the DC connection to the battery so that you have no worries on long rides.
I've been using a 60CSx for years......if I were to start from scratch I'd get a 76CSx because the RAM cradle is better and the antenna wont snap off in a fall as it will on the 60CSx (ask me how I know GPS/Holders Icon_rolleyes )

GPS/Holders 60CSx

You can order Ram mounts/hardwire kits from these folks: http://www.cycoactive.com/

In terms of software I use City Nav NT on road and generally switch to old/outdated Roads and Recs software when off-road because it'll show streams/trails that aren't present in City Nav NT
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 4:11 pm

Crawdaddy... Were you able to find a place to fix the 60 ? Mine encountered the same demise. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GPS/Holders Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS/Holders   GPS/Holders Empty

Back to top Go down

GPS/Holders
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Navigation Aids :: GPS Hardware-
Jump to: