Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Width of aftermarket gastanks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Width of aftermarket gastanks   Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:57 am

Hey folks, im considering to upgrade my fueltank, but im a bit worried about the with of the 4,7 gallon ims, and the safari aswell.
I know the 3 gallon ims would work, but its still a tad on the small side for me, and I would like to loose the airscoops/wings on the stock tank, as they always fall apart on me (have glued them several times, and also replaced them)

I use the bike for alls ort of things, but with a lot of tight woods riding, so im fairly sure that this rule out the 2 big tanks, but I need to be sure.

Could anyone please meassure the width of their aftermarked gastank?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Width of aftermarket gastanks   Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 am

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
Hey folks, im considering to upgrade my fueltank, but im a bit worried about the with of the 4,7 gallon ims, and the safari aswell.
I know the 3 gallon ims would work, but its still a tad on the small side for me, and I would like to loose the airscoops/wings on the stock tank, as they always fall apart on me (have glued them several times, and also replaced them)

I use the bike for alls ort of things, but with a lot of tight woods riding, so im fairly sure that this rule out the 2 big tanks, but I need to be sure.

Could anyone please meassure the width of their aftermarked gastank?

Thanks.

Hey Jens,

I had both the 3.1 and 4.7 gallon IMS tanks on my bike. I started with the 3.1 gallon and then went to the 4.7 gallon when I was planning on riding out in the Western US a bit more than I am now.

When I made the move to the 4.7 gallon tank I really didn't notice much of an impact width wise - the tank is wide up front but tapers pretty nicely back to the seat. I did the COBDR with that tank and while it did not really impact my riding I also did not need the extra fuel it carried since we found fuel to be available and most others in our group were running smaller tanks and had a far shorter range which sort of dictated our routes to a degree.

However, I have been doing more riding back in the Eastern US where I live and typically the rides are usually tighter and more technical than what I was doing out West. I still had my 4.7 gallon tank on the bike and never really noticed a difference........

Until I swapped bikes with a guy who wanted to check out my GoRace Suspension. His WR250R was pretty much all stock and the first thing I noticed when I hit the trails was how much more forward I was sitting on the bike (stock tank). Although I never realized that the 4.7 tank was changing my seating position it apparently was doing that. After that ride I switched back to my 3.1 gallon tank and sold my 4.7 since I really did not need the extra range for where I was riding.

So in my opinion, if you are going to be doing a bit more technical riding the 3.1 gallon tank is probably a better option. Then again my skills aren't the greatest and I suspect if I worked on those a bit more I probably would not have been bothered by the 4.7 as much. If mainly two track and dirt roads then I would not hesitate to go with the 4.7 gallon.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Width of aftermarket gastanks   Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Width of aftermarket gastanks   Today at 2:47 pm

Any others ?

Seems like the 4,7gallon is unsuited for my use.
Dont know it its quite worth it with the 3g, its a lof of money (shipping + 30% tax) for a gallon of fuel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Width of aftermarket gastanks   

Back to top Go down

Width of aftermarket gastanks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1