Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Dual-Sport gear?

Go down 
+2
eastcoastzigzag
mr_mcbride
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mr_mcbride

mr_mcbride

Dual-Sport gear? Empty
PostSubject: Dual-Sport gear?   Dual-Sport gear? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 5:20 pm

I've been playing closer attention to what gear everyone has and I'm torn between two extreme's:

1) I like the low weight and flexibility of off-road gear, especially when it gets really hot.
2) I like the protection of road gear. All of my road gear is either mesh or textile.

So my dilemma is 1) I don't feel comfortable on the road with off-road gear, and 2) road gear seems too heavy and cumbersome. I'm looking for 50/50 dual-sport gear, but I don't see any mfg's that are catering to this opportunity.

Keep in mind that I don't have a toy hauler so I must ride to the trails and in my case that can mean a couple of hours of slab to get to the good stuff. I don't want to carry two sets of gear. I'm looking for something that works in both environments. I'm also a huge adocate of ATGATT ( all the gear, all the time ). I'd prefer something that is lightweight that can protect me from road-rash at 70mph, although I've never dropped a bike on the road.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
eastcoastzigzag

eastcoastzigzag

Dual-Sport gear? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dual-Sport gear?   Dual-Sport gear? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 7:23 pm

i have a SHIFT jacket. its duel sport jacket. i cant remmeber its name but its 50/50
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Dual-Sport gear? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dual-Sport gear?   Dual-Sport gear? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Ok, for a jacket, I have THIS. I absolutely LOVE it!! It's lightweight yet rugged, I can wear my armor under it if I want, it has a storage compartment in the back for a water bladder, and 5 pockets for stuff. Fully zippered vents too. I have worn this year around and I really think it's a great addition to anyone with the R² or X. For pants, I have my Fox Yamaha 180 MX pants and Joe Rocket Alter Ego road pants. Winter gloves I use Klim sled gloves; summer I have Fox Dirtpaw MX gloves, and Joe Rocket Phoenix road gloves for long trips. Footwear, Forma Raptor Comp MX boots, or my Sidi Jasmine Rain street boots.

inspector

Dual-Sport gear? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dual-Sport gear?   Dual-Sport gear? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 8:47 pm

^^^Nice post. Keep going thou. I know you've said what armor you use.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Dual-Sport gear? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dual-Sport gear?   Dual-Sport gear? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 9:22 pm

My armor? I use Troy Lee Descender armor but mine's grey/black, and Troy Lee Combat knee/shin guards. Oh and a Fox V2 Pilot MX lid with Scott 89xi Turbo goggles.

boogn1sh

Dual-Sport gear? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dual-Sport gear?   Dual-Sport gear? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 9:54 pm

I like for my protection to be tight and as close to skin as possible. It was stated earlier that built-in armor rarely stays put in a fall, therefore its pretty much worthless. I wear Bohn Armor Pants. Anything you put over the top is just for protection from the elements. Summer time I wear light weight MX pants, still looking for a good pair of waterproof pants, but armor isn't needed for me. I just need a good enduro pant with pockets, over the boot, something like THIS or THIS. The Bohn pants/shorts won't protectr like a set of knee gaurds will, but they are a lot cheaper and I have crash tested them wink

Up top, again, I like the protection close to my skin, so I wear this Alpinestars Bionic 2 Rig. Over that I will dress appropriot to the weather. Sometimes that is a light weight MX jersey, other times its a full-on Goretex Cordura Jacket. I have been using the same Mountain Hardwear 3 layer Goretex Jacket for 15 years, but feel it is time for something more moto-oriented, like this Cortech or this Moose. I love anything with the "nut" logo on it. Mountain Hardwear gear is indestructable on foot, the game changes when you add an engine. If they ever decided to make a moto-line of jackets/pants I'll be the first in line. I already use their fleece, Conduit, Sleeping Bags, tents and Gore-Windstopper technology. The only thing missing is the off-road outter shell..... I need to write them a letter.....
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Dual-Sport gear? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dual-Sport gear?   Dual-Sport gear? EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 7:49 pm

On the road I'm using a SHIFT jacket , M2R boots and pants, Shift Gloves and an HJC IS-16 Helmet

Off road I'm using an Acerbis armored shirt. Fly pants and jersey , Fly Fly Moto-Knee Knee and shin guards, Thor Quantum Boots, thor phase gloves and an SHC Dual Sport Helmet. I had to get a visored helmet since I found out I can't wear Moto goggles, irritates the eyes and such.
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

Dual-Sport gear? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dual-Sport gear?   Dual-Sport gear? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:09 am

Tibarus wrote:
SHC Dual Sport Helmet.

More pics please.
Price? Fit? Weight? Where me get? You like?
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Dual-Sport gear? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dual-Sport gear?   Dual-Sport gear? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:58 am

boogn1sh wrote:
Tibarus wrote:
SHC Dual Sport Helmet.

More pics please.
Price? Fit? Weight? Where me get? You like?

I've only one more pic, same angle, visor down.

I'm loving it, the price was tagged at 189.99, got it for 70$ in a package deal with the rest of my MX gear. Fit is great, much more comfortable than the other similarly priced MX helmet I tried, the visor is nice too, because like I said, MX goggles irritated my eyes. It's nice and snugg, just the way I like it >;3

Weight is good, not heavy, averagely light for an MX helmet. It breaths nicely, maybe a bit TOO nicely at times, I recommend a scarf if you're wearing it in the winter.

As for where I got it, I went to my neighborhood bike shop. For you I think THIS site might help a bit...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dual-Sport gear? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dual-Sport gear?   Dual-Sport gear? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dual-Sport gear?
Page 1 of 1