Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

FMF power bomb

Go down 
AuthorMessage
peanut

PostSubject: FMF power bomb   Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Can I use a FMF power bomb header with my stock muffler? I have looked and can't find an answer. Thanks
Back to top Go down
peanut

PostSubject: Re: FMF power bomb   Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Come on someone knows !!!!!!!! beavis
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: FMF power bomb   Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:21 pm

Of course you can, the question is why would you want to do that?

The Power/Mega Bomb are cavity resonators, and for optimum performance they need to have a free-flowing muffler; with the stock one it's questionable whether you will be able to see any gains.

Last edited by johnkol on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
peanut

PostSubject: Re: FMF power bomb   Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:34 pm

I have a extra stock muffler with no miles on it. And I am going to cut the cat. and the valve out of it and open it up a bit. I may make a bigger spark arrestor . Or one that is more open. I have nothing in the muffler. and the rest is just time. I do quite a bit of fab work. This should be easy. If it turns out to suck? I will just go get a aftermarket one.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: FMF power bomb   Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:38 pm

peanut wrote:
I have a extra stock muffler with no miles on  it. And I am going to cut the cat. and the valve out of it and open it up a bit. I may make a bigger spark arrestor . Or one that is more open. I have nothing in the muffler. and the rest is just time. I do quite a bit of fab work. This should be easy. If it turns out to suck? I will just go get a aftermarket one.
Just weld a 1" drill bit to a peace of 1/2 inch x 1 ft long all thread and drill till it gets through, make a tail pipe from a 1" peace of conduit electrical sweep,
Back to top Go down
3rdMoto

PostSubject: Re: FMF power bomb   Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:39 am

I don't think there is any performance advantage to be gained when it comes to aftermarket vs. stock headers. Replacing the highly restrictive stock muffler with a slip on, on the other hand...

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t2357-fmf-vs-stock-header

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlDHfLNkRzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHmlmD8rprM
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: FMF power bomb   Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:17 am

3rdMoto wrote:
I don't think there is any performance advantage to be gained when it comes to aftermarket vs. stock headers.

I actually did feel a gain from switching to the MegaBomb header; I already had the Q4 muffler and the FMF programmer.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: FMF power bomb   Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:32 am

I tested the stock header pipe and the FMF Megabomb header pipe back-to-back, about 30 minutes apart.
This was on my 2008 WR250X which already had an FMF Q4 muffler, an FMF Power Programmer, and the airbox flapper removed.

The Megabomb head pipe does, indeed, make a change.
It's not a huge change, but noticeable.
It takes a little bit of power and torque from the top end and puts it in the middle range of engine RPM.
The engine could still hit the same high RPM as with the stock header, but the power and torque at the top end seemed a little bit less while revving it out like that, while the power and torque in the middle RPM seemed a bit stronger.
It's a trade-off.
A pretty good trade-off because it's a subtle reduction in top-end power and torque, not a glaring hole in the power delivery.
The power delivery is still glass-smooth.

So, it's not a magic trick (unless you don't understand how it works), just physics.
It is worth the money if you believe this would be beneficial to your riding.
Trail riding is a good choice for such a change to the engine's characteristics, although the stock power characteristics are already pretty good.

The main reason I bought one is because I had the money burning a hole in my pocket.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMF power bomb   

Back to top Go down

FMF power bomb
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Pipes 'n Programmers-
Jump to: