Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?

Go down 
+12
joenuclear
Corkonian
No~One
taoshum
BigBird
andy mac
chofilena
Krabill
highsierrabear
Bob
mwakey
Machtig
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 11:03 pm

del

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chofilena

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 11:17 pm

BigFeet wrote:
chofilena wrote:
BigFeet wrote:
I'm a one bike rider, so I'm hoping I'll get it down fairly quickly. But I've never made rad mods like pitching the clutch lever and installing a LHRB before so I really don't know. I'm gonna have to try to really think about it at first. Preferably not in heavy traffic!

Goin' for the clutch out of habit and blasting the rear brake instead could be VERY bad out here on hwy 160 where everyone tailgates even if you're doin' 20 mph over the limit actual... and few places to pull over safely due to heavy gravel on the shoulders (several problems there and I try NOT to tilt at windmills any more).

Anyway, I still agree with BigBird on this and I'm trying it as a hopeful experiment only for a while.

L
JUst talked with Allan. He said his still not convinced with the dyna ring and not giving up. Ill give him till december if not I'd go for the more$$$ revloc, he claims that he had perfected it.

Chofilena, I missed this post. Mea culpa. I'm guessing from here on out until next spring, the test riding miles on the dynaring will be much reduced due to snow season weather. Alan's in Colorado like me, so get out the snow shovel and all.

I think most will agree that the original Revloc is hell for stout; practically a legacy item.

Did Alan give you a deadline for when they planned to declare the WRR/X dynaring (current version in testing) a success or a failure?

BigFeet

Well Alan told me it will be ready before christmas. Because i told him i will be getting one as my gift to myself
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 11:20 pm

del

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: First "real" hour of riding BigFeet with the Revloc   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:39 pm

del

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 1:30 am

my only concern is the occasional need to clutch the front end up on the trail, when going over larger obstacles like logs. If you give up the clutch lever how are you supposed to pick up the front?
Back to top Go down
velvetcows

velvetcows

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 2:18 am

twowheeled wrote:
my only concern is the occasional need to clutch the front end up on the trail, when going over larger obstacles like logs. If you give up the clutch lever how are you supposed to pick up the front?

+1
when u let off the throttle does the bike engine brake or coast
how do you snap the front up w out clutching it up
and how do u back it in?

so many applications and reasons to have control over when to use the clutch and how quick and how far to engage/disengage the clutch

the only times I can think of needing or wanting the auto clutch are
1-my wrist is weak as hell from surgery and have almost no strength in that hand.
2-last sunday while practicing 1st gear wheelies, I had the front wheel up in the sky and when I tapped the brake, stall (cuz i wasn't workin th clutch)
3-I'm lazy

i just see too many reasons to have and use my clutch lever to control the bike.

Do u ride your bikes or just cruise for show?

I'd love to try an auto clutch to see for myself.........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 2:46 am

well the auto clutch isnt really for street riding, it's more for trail/enduro stuff where you need to focus on balance/picking your way through really rough stuff without worrying about stalling or fanning the clutch. I've been on tight single track rides where I've had to feather the clutch for nearly 2 hours on end, and by the end I had such bad arm pump I could barely steer at all. But there were times when I still had to pop the front to get over obstacles.
Back to top Go down
chofilena

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 7:46 am

BigFeet wrote:
I'm quickly learning to upshift and downshift clutchless. Quicker than I expected but a definite learning curve.

Other than that, I'm loving the autoclutch AND the LHRB. I haven't grabbed for the phantom clutch lever once so far.

I think that's because the autoclutch is so freakin' fun, I'm thinking about it a lot while riding.

The bike was a mountain goat in the first place IMHO, but now it thinks it's a full on trials bike that can blast down the interstate, too!

My impression of the Revloc

- Unstallable. This is obvious, but is an incredible feeling in situations where stalling might have been a factor before. Ultra low speed turns and maneuvering are a breeze.

- Faux Torque. Rationally thought out, I know the bike can't have any more torque now than before. But the bike apparently doesn't know that. It feels WAY more torquey. Each gear feels "longer". I can see where one might get into the habit of abusing the clutch through low rpm lugging in too high a gear because it now feels like there is so much more on tap.

I'll just keep reminding myself that it's never a good idea to lug a machine. Whereas before, that would be protecting the engine, NOW that will be protecting the clutch.

"Revloc Auto Clutch: Now your 250 thinks it's a 450." deal

Well, that's exaggeration right there. But ya' get my meaning. It definitely feels like it has more beans.

-feet
Got the revloc cant wait any longer. Decided on the original for the option of the LHRB. Thanks for sharing your insights about it. Can you post a picture on how you installed your LHRB.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 2:39 pm

auto clutch isn't for street riding? I deduce you've never driven one. Horse hockey. Works great on street; better on street than offroad.

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 2:59 pm

del

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: BigFeet's LHRB Detail   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 3:39 pm

del

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:10 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Motorcycle Brake Bleeding - one guy's primer on it   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 3:59 pm

del

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Handguard Spacers   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 4:27 pm

del

Back to top Go down
chofilena

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 7:24 pm

BigFeet wrote:
When I bought my bike, it had Cycra Pro-Bend handguards on it. The right side guard was fitted very poorly over the front brake master cylinder.

So I added some hardware store "union nuts" (painted black in the photos) as spacers so I could return the rest of the components to acceptable angles. The spacers are the 3/4" long hex shaped spacers between the Cycra's backbone and the handlebar mounting bracket.

I've seen these handguards fitted poorly on other bikes, so I guess some handguard manufacturers choose making them "cute" instead of making them FIT. budah

Yeah, I coulda' sledge hammered 2 of the bends in the backbones flat; I chose spacers and longer bolts instead.

Why mention it here?? From looking at my photos, it appears to me that the LEFT side spacer may have inadvertently aided in the clearance for the new brake line coming off the Magura. I cut a smooth groove through the bottom of that hex spacer with the dremel and a stone to make sure it won't chafe the new stainless brake line. That groove is not visible in the photos as it's underneath.

End diatribe. I need to get this knee healed up so I can do something besides type. cry lol!

-feet

Feet your the best, i think you have answered all the questions that's been bugging me. Thank you thank you for putting in time and effort. I ordered my revloc a week a go and still waiting. Now i am just controlling my excitement and my curiosity. Hope you get that right knee of yours heeled so you can get back riding again. Thank you again, bow
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 11:06 pm

You're welcomed. I hope the installation goes well for you

Back to top Go down
chofilena

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 12:22 am

BigFeet wrote:
Chofilena,

You're welcomed! I hope the installation goes well for you!

BigFeet
Hi BigFeet,
Just installed my revloc clutch and im out to test ride it. Tried it a bit and so far so good, it really works! Still waiting for the rain to stop and ill go out again. My concern is when you shift to first gear it moves really really slow without turning the throttle and you have to pull the brakes to put into full stop. Tried adjusting the idle but its still the same. Maybe i should ride it some more for the clutch to settle. Will go back to my bike first thumb wings
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 12:42 am

del

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chofilena

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 12:38 am

[quote="BigFeet"]
chofilena wrote:
BigFeet wrote:
Chofilena,

You're welcomed! I hope the installation goes well for you!

BigFeet
Hi BigFeet,
Just installed my revloc clutch and im out to test ride it. Tried it a bit and so far so good, it really works! Still waiting for the rain to stop and ill go out again. My concern is when you shift to first gear it moves really really slow without turning the throttle and you have to pull the brakes to put into full stop. Tried adjusting the idle but its still the same. Maybe i should ride it some more for the clutch to settle. Will go back to my bike first thumb wings

Chofilena,

No, I didn't experience that. Here are some thoughts:

First of all, my nomenclature may be wrong so let me define what I mean in the attached. The clutch stack includes 2 different kinds of rings when stock. Aluminum rings with friction material on them. I'll call these "frictions". There are also steel rings in the stack with NO friction material on them. I'll call these "steels". This is nomenclature from automatic transmissions, not bikes so it may not be correct here. Anyway, this will let you know what I mean in the below text. "Clutch stack" would then mean the stack of steels and frictions; every other one.

AND, please note: The stack should start from the bottom of the basket with a "friction" first as the thinner "steel" would try to fall down behind the center hub and cause all kinds of headaches.

OK, finally to those notes/thoughts I have:

Just wondering, did you by any chance check the clutch stack for the specified .045" clearance with a feeler gauge once the Revloc pressure plate was installed?

Mine had exactly .045" as per Revloc spec and that was using the one modified machined down steel in the stack that had been machined down for the proper clearance by Revloc... Did you receive a modified steel plate from Revloc along with the new stack of frictions? I left one stock steel out of the stack and replaced it with the machined down steel from RL.

The only drag I got was on cold start up and then it was only slight and temporary. Like when starting the bike cold in the a.m. --when in gear-- with the stock clutch and the handle pulled in. My understanding is that it's the thickened oil making the "stack" components stick together a bit when cold and is normal for pretty much any motorcycle clutch.

Back to the Revloc: Then, after just a few seconds of running with small drag when stone cold startup in gear in the a.m., that drag was gone for the rest of the ride. Typical cold bike friction drag on cold startup only. Nothing more than the first few seconds.

So in answer to your question, no, I didn't get that continuous dragging at all.

Did you pre-soak your new clutch friction plates in motor oil for an hour or so prior to installation?

I suggest calling Alan. There was no "wear in" necessary with my Revloc setup. If you measured the clearance and it was less than .045", I suspect Alan would want to send you a different machined "steel" plate (machined even thinner) to compensate.

Larry

[/quote

Yes, Alan sent me new friction plates and one steel plate. You are right about the cold drag and i think its also because, i was not able to soak the friction plates when i installed it. I was looking for more instructions but the instructions was really straight forward. I would suggest to others that, if you have minimal experience on the bikes engine have a mechanic to do. But now im enjoying it, no more drag only on the first start of the day. Its so cool sometimes you dont know what gear you are in. Tried doing figure of 8's before i would come in and out of the turn on 1st gear then shift to second but now i can enter the turn on second. its so cool cheers With the LHRB i still get confused sometimes but im getting the feel of it. I got the dual brakes and the bleeding of the air took me maybe 3 long hours of pumping, hated that part of the installation.
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 2:53 pm

You Said:

" I got the dual brakes and the bleeding of the air took me maybe 3 long hours of pumping, hated that part of the installation."

I also had some probems bleeding but Alan told me to do if for a while then use a screwdriver or something to get in between the rotor and the brake shoe/cylinder to push the shoe/slave-cylinder it back in and then bleed again. This seemed to be the trick as I was fine in a couple of minutes then. I think some air get caught in a pocket somewhere and this seems to free it.
Back to top Go down
chofilena

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 1:37 am

BigBird wrote:
You Said:

" I got the dual brakes and the bleeding of the air took me maybe 3 long hours of pumping, hated that part of the installation."

I also had some probems bleeding but Alan told me to do if for a while then use a screwdriver or something to get in between the rotor and the brake shoe/cylinder to push the shoe/slave-cylinder it back in and then bleed again. This seemed to be the trick as I was fine in a couple of minutes then. I think some air get caught in a pocket somewhere and this seems to free it.

Yes, i also did that. But still took a lot of time. Nice picture of your bike big feet. For others who might want to use the LHRB. if your using the the easton woods handle bar no need for grinding on light control casing. I just shaved off one of the thingy (sorry don't know what it is called) on the red adjuster of the magura brakes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 2:00 am

del

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: BigFeet re: Street riding - hard acceleration   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 2:09 am

del

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: downshifting   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 2:32 am

del

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chofilena

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 1:37 am

[quote="BigFeet"]OK, as I'm getting long winded on this, here's my take on downshifting:

Now that my bike is shifted clutchless only, I ONLY downshift for engine braking on really snotty downhill trails. It works fine and has never centripetally disengaged on me; not even once.

In any other street or dirt riding (especially high speed), I solely use the LHRB and love it.

The bike setup is now fully clutchless and AS SUCH - tends to be a little resistant to multi down shifting... Worded another way, it does not like downshifting/engine braking from interstate speeds. Nothing violent or unseemly, just a bit resistant.

So I now do highway/interstate decel just with the brakes and then start down shifting from 6th at lower speeds than I used to. Like at 30 mph... snick it down to 4th... 15 mph, notch out 2 more... go to first at a stop. It sounds harder than it is; mainly I don't start downshifting at 60 or 50 anymore unless a steep climb rarely requires that. But that ain't decel anyway.

Mainly, I think it's easier to neutralize engine loading via throttle at lower speeds than at interstate speeds. Or somethin' brainiac like that. poser2 Seriously though, it downshifts best/easiest/smoothest when the throttle isn't trying to accel or decel the bike. That should have been obvious but again, it wasn't to me. Shog

If you use an autoclutch/clutchless shifting setup, you'll likely soon see what I mean. Otherwise, ya' can ignore this post.

Feetsus Shiftimus Very happy [/quote

All you claim here is all correct and im all feeling this too. Shifting to a higher gear, you just have to roll back the throttle a bit and your good to go. Shifting to a lower gear is.... i cant really explain it yet. But i notice you have to be in a good rpm to shift it smoothly. Just give a little gas as soon as you shift down to compensate for the engine brake. I notice when shifting to neutral the bike should be running with a slight rpm before stopping the bike. When full stop and shifting to neutral seems impossible, did not try to force it.
Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 11:30 am

You young whippersnappers are too young to remember but back in the day drag racers would preload the shifter with their toe [or hand] and as the RPM's rose they would thumb a momentary kill button. This would interrupt the ignition for a few thousandths of a second allowing the shift to be made much faster than backing off the throttle. I've got to go now as my Ensure is warm and I need my nappy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?   Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Interested in a RevLoc automatic clutch?
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next