Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jamiemm18

Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used Empty
PostSubject: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello folks, I had another thread (or two) asking for assistance on WR versus Husky/KTM. I went ahead with the WR today. I'll update the other post with reasons for my choice. I checked the bike out very closely, took a good 30 minutes looking at everything from the air filter boot to wheel bearings to the oil drain plug, etc. It's a 2016 WR250R with 1500 miles on it, excellent condition aside from bent bars. Anyway........ I noticed a drop of oil hanging on the bolt that connects the back half of the frame to the front half of the frame. I have a pic attached and an arrow pointing to exactly where the drop was. It was pretty much a single drop, maybe 2, and it looked like engine oil but clean - like it was a drop of 10W40, golden in color. I took off the front sprocket cover and everything looks good in there, no leaks. There are no leaks anywhere on that side of the motor and I really cant picture where the oil would have dropped down from, but it is a bolt going through a joint - frame to frame, there is no bearing or anything there so I dont know why it would have oil on it. I asked the guy and he did not know, said he wasnt aware of it and I believe him. He said at 500 miles he had the dealer change the oil, tighten the bolts, clean the filter, etc - the regular first service. That was about a year ago. I would assume it was oil used to lube the chain but that would have been 1000 miles ago - I dont think a drop of oil could hang on that long and he said he didnt lube the chain at all. The bike doesnt look like its been washed in forever... but that may be a good thing because it wasnt that dirty so it probably hasnt been pushed hard and it could also be good because it means he did not hold a powerwasher to the steering stem bearings, wheel bearings, etc. I plan to take the bike apart and great the steering, wheel and swing arm / linkage bearings before I even ride it. Anyway, has anyone had a drop of oil show up here and is it something to worry about? The bike had supposedly been sitting in the same spot from July 2017 to today so it hasn't been used in almost a year (ill drain the gas tank and hit it with some seafoam). So I asked him to show me where the bike was sitting and he grabbed his cell phone, turned the flashlight on and we both scoured the floor and didnt see anything. I got the pics of the bike from him a month ago via text and I can see the bike sitting in the exact spot that he took me to. In other words, the spot the bike was sitting in a month ago is the same spot it was in when we opened the garage and the same spot we looked closely at the floor. I know I am being super specific but just confused what it could have been from. Anyway.... no oil anywhere else, everything looks pretty good to excellent, it ran fine and there are no puddles to be found anywhere. What could this drop of oil be from? I hope I didnt just buy a problem. Thanks for any input and see the pic. The drop is no longer there but the arrow points to where it was. THANK YOU!!!!

Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: image   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 3:35 pm

Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used Oildro11
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 7:44 pm

That's an indication of a serious issue! just messin wit ya, go riding Very happy
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 8:09 pm

Even though it only took 1.5 seconds to read that, my heart actually dropped .... :)
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 3:09 am

Most probably it's the drive axle oil seal that is leaking; item 4 in the picture below:

Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used Wr250r10
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks. Is that where the front sprocket goes?
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 12:07 am

jamiemm18 wrote:
Thanks. Is that where the front sprocket goes?

Yes, the drive axle carries the front sprocket.
Back to top Go down
BOOSTDF350

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 12:33 pm

Is it possibly chain lube?  I just quenched my chain pretty heavily and when I came back from a spin I had a drop of dark oil on the garage floor that I attributed to being heavy on the chain oil.
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Could have been lube since I haven't seen anything since but he said he didn't lube the chain. I just called his dealer to ask if the bike had been in for any service. On 05/16/2017 the bike was in for a clutch oil seal recall (FACTORY MODIFICATION CAMPAIGN – Oil Leak from Clutch Push Rod Seal). Below is a pic from the PDF that describes what is done and this is near the front sprocket. Not sure if a little oil could have been left behind during that service. It was roughly 10 months ago. If you think it is still that seal, should I just take the front sprocket off to look..... for what - oil, wetness? Thanks.
Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used Recall10
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 12:54 am

jamiemm18 wrote:
Not sure if a little oil could have been left behind during that service. It was roughly 10 months ago. If you think it is still that seal, should I just take the front sprocket off to look..... for what - oil, wetness?

No, it can't be the clutch oil seal, especially ten months after it was repaired.

You can take the front sprocket off and check whether there is significant oil muck around there; you should also be able to follow the oil trail.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 am

Are you sure it wasn't just condensation or dirty water? Ride the bike, and check again. Don't obsess over a few drips here and there.
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks. Sounds like you already know me. I treat these bikes like they were a 69 camaro ss that is super rare and should be representative of exactly how the mfg made them. Silly, I know... but it’s more of a hobby for me than is going through the deepest puddle I can find. I’ll pull the sprocket off to peek and if it looks ok, I’ll just ride it. Thanks everyone
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 8:53 am

jamiemm18 wrote:
Thanks. Sounds like you already know me. I treat these bikes like they were a 69 camaro ss that is super rare and should be representative of exactly how the mfg made them. Silly, I know... but it’s more of a hobby for me than is going through the deepest puddle I can find. I’ll pull the sprocket off to peek and if it looks ok, I’ll just ride it. Thanks everyone

I have a '64 Chevy that takes about a quart of oil every month or two, if I DON'T see any drips then I know it is time to add more! Very happy

These bikes can take a beating and keep coming back for more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used   Strange place to find a drop of oil... just bought this used Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1