Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Scuff in fork, caused by the brake rotor?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Scuff in fork, caused by the brake rotor?   Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Hello, Just curious if anyone else has this mark on their WR250R. I just bought the bike and noticed this when I was looking it over but it didnt stop me from buying the bike. My guess, because of the location of the scuff, is that the front end was bottomed out and the fork hit the brake rotor. But then I was thinking, with a WR having soft suspension, they must bottom out all the time. So... then Yamaha would be made aware of the issue and probably change the design to address it. I was also looking through the microfiche but cannot find this chrome part. It must be part of the tube itself but it looks like a ring that is put on after. One of the parts in the diagram that look like they could be it is the dust seal. The other part that I thought could be it is the black ring that goes over the chrome ring. So I'm wondering, has this happened to anyone else, is it replaceable, and does it make sense to replace it if it is?? If it was from a bottom out, it will happen over and over again I would think - dropping the front end from a wheelie, hitting a jump, whoops in trails, etc... Here are some pics. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Scuff in fork, caused by the brake rotor?   Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:33 am

I feel 99% certain it is from the white fork tube guard sliding over this area.
That black ring just above the wear mark is what takes most of the wear (you can see wear marks on that black ring in your pic), and your aluminum fork tube got nicked a little bit.
There are matching scuff marks on the inside of your white fork guard, too.
I feel this is common and not a serious problem.

This was happening to my WR250R and WR250X, too, and it's not a disaster, although it will get your attention when you see it because it doesn't look pretty.
What I did to reduce this was to remove the white fork guard, heat it up with a hair drier, heat gun, or something similar, and bent the curvature of the fork guard open a bit in order to relieve the contact between the fork guard and fork leg.

When you bolt the white fork guard back in place, there is enough play between the loose bolts and the holes in the white fork guard to allow a few degrees of movement either way.
Try to center the white guard while tightening the bolts to center it over the fork leg.
It more than likely will still rub somewhat (that's why those black plastic rings are there), so the point is to merely reduce it.
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Scuff in fork, caused by the brake rotor?   Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:35 am

Thank you. Does it indicate at all how the bike was used? Do you ride yours rough? Just wondering because I still have the new-to-me used bike jitters. The bars were bent and I was aware of that but the owner did not look like a hard core rider or woods guy and was not injured. He said it was lightly used and mainly used on the street. The tires are pretty worn for 1500 miles so it may have been used a lot on the street. But, people on craigslist can say anything they want. To replace it would require the entire tube? If so, I won’t borher - it just looked like a chrome trim piece so I figured I would ask. Is it just regular fork movements (bumps) that can cause that? And long-term it doesn’t completely break down? I was thinking to cover the ugliness I could put seal saver shock protectors on it but it sounds like those would be worn through from the rubbing. Thanks
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Scuff in fork, caused by the brake rotor?   Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:47 pm

+1 on the white fork guard.

I took a heat gun to mine and did a little reshaping so they would not rub against the fork.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scuff in fork, caused by the brake rotor?   

Back to top Go down

Scuff in fork, caused by the brake rotor?
Page 1 of 1