Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Sitting in the sun

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JDakota

PostSubject: Sitting in the sun   Tue May 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Curious if anyone else has had the same problem I did recently. After sitting in the sun for a few hours my basically brand new 2017 did not want to start and when it did fire up it promptly dies upon hitting the throttle. I wheeled it into the shade where it sat while I went to get my trailer and by the time I got back after about 30mins it fired right up and has been running with no issues ever since. I have done no performance mods but it does have a transparent IMS tank on it. Is there a known issue with the WR and starting in the heat?
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Sitting in the sun   Tue May 08, 2018 11:36 pm

There is a known issue with the fuel pump overheating in an IMS tank where the fuel level is low enough to leave the pump exposed.

How low was the fuel, and what was the ambient temperature that day?
Back to top Go down
JDakota

PostSubject: Re: Sitting in the sun   Wed May 09, 2018 12:26 am

Fuel tank was full, temperature was about 25* C (77* F)
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Sitting in the sun   Wed May 09, 2018 1:48 am

The conditions don't sound right to trigger the problem, but the symptoms you described sound very much like a fuel pump issue.

Keep an eye on it; if it happens again, you may want to think about a new pump (eBay ones work fine). The good news is that the pump does not fail catastrophically; as you discovered, if you let it cool down, you will be able to restart and carry on.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Sitting in the sun   Wed May 09, 2018 10:57 am

Stock tank? You may have a overflow hose kinked or clogged, not allowing the tank to vent. If it happens again, open and close the the cap to vent the tank and then try to start it.
Back to top Go down
JDakota

PostSubject: Re: Sitting in the sun   Wed May 09, 2018 8:05 pm

MeefZah wrote:
Stock tank?  You may have a overflow hose kinked or clogged, not allowing the tank to vent.  If it happens again, open and close the the cap to vent the tank and then try to start it.

I did indeed try that with no success. I appreciate all the responses none the less. I will see if it happens again before I do any serious digging.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Sitting in the sun   Thu May 10, 2018 1:18 am

JDakota wrote:
I did indeed try that with no success.

Vapor locking is not applicable in this case: if the tank could not vent, then after the bike had sat in the sun the pressure inside the tank would have increased, thus making things easier for the pump.

Also in general, vapor locking is not a concern with FI bikes because the pump pressurises the fuel to deliver it to the injectors; the fuel does not rely on gravity to feed the carburetor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sitting in the sun   

Back to top Go down

Sitting in the sun
Page 1 of 1