Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

I've picked up a GREMLIN!!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ventura250r

I've picked up a GREMLIN!!  Empty
PostSubject: I've picked up a GREMLIN!!    I've picked up a GREMLIN!!  EmptyThu May 24, 2018 12:20 am

Obligatory: I'm new here, I've searched everything I could find and and found anything similar.

Hello out there!! I'm a new to this forum and new motorccle owner in general. Many thanks to all who have posted on this forum, I've learned a ton from all of you. I've been lurking around here for a year or so, decided to join out of necessity. My '14 wr250r 1800 miles has picked up a GREMLIN and I need some help/guidance/counseling/psychiatry.

My bike will not run...
Took her for a spin for the third time in a week, stopped and got gas. 15 minutes later, pulled up to a stop sign and dead. Restart and ride 5 minutes. Parked. Start, ride 2 minutes bad stutter and lurch, next stop dead. Barely made it home after stop and waits/revving the bike to not die.
Pulled the battery, it's no longer with us. Popped in the new battery and she fires right up. 2 minutes of idle and dies. Restarting gets progressively worse. Anytime she is cold it starts, runs, and revs normal for about a minute and then the same thing.
Things tested or changed:
Battery
Gas
Spark plugs(old one had some discoloration, no buildup)
Fuel pump primes audibly
Fuel system maintains 35+ PSI even after the bike dies
Plug has spark
Coil pack resistance is within spec
No visible vacuum leaks
Battery charges to 14v while running
Thought it could be stator, but the voltage increase is throwing me off
Stator resistance came back high .4-.6 at 200 on multimeter, spec is around .125-.2
Pulled crank case, stator is discolored on a few lobes, but no visible melting.

Is it possible that the stator could be bad and still provide the increase in voltage to 14v while running.

Thanks to anyone who can help
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: I've picked up a GREMLIN!!    I've picked up a GREMLIN!!  EmptyFri May 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Has the bike had the stator replaced under the recall yet?

If not, I would probably start there and have a dealer replace it under the recall. Should not cost you any money.

Back to top Go down
Ventura250r

PostSubject: Re: I've picked up a GREMLIN!!    I've picked up a GREMLIN!!  EmptyFri May 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Ya, I'm planning on doing that on Tuesday of this next week to see if the bike is covered. I'm the second owner, so who knows. Hopefully that fixes it.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: I've picked up a GREMLIN!!    I've picked up a GREMLIN!!  EmptySat May 26, 2018 7:36 am

The only other thing I could think of at the moment is to see if any codes are stored on the bike.

Shop manual should be able to tell you how to do this in DIAG mode. Or as the shop to check if you need the stator replaced under warranty.

I ran into some strange issues on mine and I ended up replacing the coil stick (sits on top of the spark plug) and that sacrifice seemed to appease the WRR Gods.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've picked up a GREMLIN!!    I've picked up a GREMLIN!!  Empty

Back to top Go down

I've picked up a GREMLIN!!
Page 1 of 1