Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

noob replacing handlebars

Go down 
+3
Bchaps26
johnkol
pumpernickelBrad
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bchaps26

noob replacing handlebars Empty
PostSubject: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyTue May 29, 2018 10:31 am

Hey guys, I've got a new to me 2015 wrr and im looking to swap out the stock bars for a higher bend (I'm 6'4"). Im sticking with 7/8" renthal aluminum bars but just wondering what else i'll need for the install? I'll be changing grips as well (pro taper pillowtops).. just wondering if i'll need to replace the throttle tube or if i'll be able to use the stock one? Any other tips / help is appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyTue May 29, 2018 12:24 pm

You don't need anything special in order to swap handlebars.

You may have a hard time taking off the grip from the throttle tube because these are usually glued on.
Back to top Go down
pumpernickelBrad

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyTue May 29, 2018 2:50 pm

No need to get anything else.

If you're thinking about it I'd avoid getting higher risers with the higher bend in the bar. I got both at the same time thinking I'm a pretty tall dude and now wish I hadn't.
The cables going to controls are also only so long and getting things right where you want them can be tricky if you get risers and higher bar.

Last edited by pumpernickelBrad on Tue May 29, 2018 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyTue May 29, 2018 2:57 pm

pumpernickelBrad wrote:
You'll need new risers and top clamp since old ones are for the smaller diameter.

He's not getting fat bars, he stated that he's staying with the OEM 7/8" diameter, so he does not need any adapters or new clamps.
Back to top Go down
pumpernickelBrad

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyTue May 29, 2018 2:59 pm

johnkol wrote:
pumpernickelBrad wrote:
You'll need new risers and top clamp since old ones are for the smaller diameter.

He's not getting fat bars, he stated that he's staying with the OEM 7/8" diameter, so he does not need any adapters or new clamps.

Absolutely right, my bad!
Back to top Go down
Bchaps26

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyTue May 29, 2018 3:45 pm

Great, thanks for the replies thumb
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyThu May 31, 2018 11:30 pm

You will need to drill some holes in the bars - the controls have "nubs" to keep them from rotating around. A lot of people just grind off those nubs so as not to have to drill holes, and for the electrical controls that's probably okay. I feel a little uneasy doing that to the throttle control, though, I like to make sure that is well secured. On reinstall make sure you are tightening the 4 bolts holding the bars to the triple tree in a "criss cross" pattern, like the way you would tighten lugs on a car wheel.

Pro tip: take a photo of the bars on the bike with controls / cable routing prior to removing them. Makes it easier to reinstall if you need to reference something. Pro tip #2: the throttle tube will be bard to get off with the cables attached... until you get smart and unbolt everything else from the bars, unbolt the bars from the triple tree, and then slide the bar to the left while holding the throttle tube (with cables still attached) in place. Pro tip #3: now is a great time to go ahead and install heated grips!
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 12:18 pm

MeefZah wrote:
You will need to drill some holes in the bars - the controls have "nubs" to keep them from rotating around.  A lot of people just grind off those nubs so as not to have to drill holes, and for the electrical controls that's probably okay.  I feel a little uneasy doing that to the throttle control, though, I like to make sure that is well secured.  On reinstall make sure you are tightening the 4 bolts holding the bars to the triple tree in a "criss cross" pattern, like the way you would tighten lugs on a car wheel.

Pro tip: take a photo of the bars on the bike with controls / cable routing prior to removing them.  Makes it easier to reinstall if you need to reference something.  Pro tip #2: the throttle tube will be bard to get off with the cables attached... until you get smart and unbolt everything else from the bars, unbolt the bars from the triple tree, and then slide the bar to the left while holding the throttle tube (with cables still attached) in place.  Pro tip #3: now is a great time to go ahead and install heated grips!

Agreed all around. I'll add that I've had no trouble taking the grips off the WRR a few times to straighten the bars: wiggle a long thin screw driver under the grip and spray in some brake cleaner, if you work fast the grips will slide right off. When re-installing spray the inside of the grips and they'll slide right on. I've never had to glue grips on the WRR but I have on other bikes.

Another thought is Rocky Mtn ATV sells inexpensive Tusk bar risers in 15mm and 30mm. They both fit fine on the WRR and are much easier and cheaper than replacing the bars and/or can give you more rise if the higher bars aren't enough.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
grubbie

grubbie

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyMon Jun 18, 2018 9:39 pm

morgan9283 wrote:
MeefZah wrote:
You will need to drill some holes in the bars - the controls have "nubs" to keep them from rotating around.  A lot of people just grind off those nubs so as not to have to drill holes, and for the electrical controls that's probably okay.  I feel a little uneasy doing that to the throttle control, though, I like to make sure that is well secured.  On reinstall make sure you are tightening the 4 bolts holding the bars to the triple tree in a "criss cross" pattern, like the way you would tighten lugs on a car wheel.

Pro tip: take a photo of the bars on the bike with controls / cable routing prior to removing them.  Makes it easier to reinstall if you need to reference something.  Pro tip #2: the throttle tube will be bard to get off with the cables attached... until you get smart and unbolt everything else from the bars, unbolt the bars from the triple tree, and then slide the bar to the left while holding the throttle tube (with cables still attached) in place.  Pro tip #3: now is a great time to go ahead and install heated grips!

Agreed all around.  I'll add that I've had no trouble taking the grips off the WRR a few times to straighten the bars: wiggle a long thin screw driver under the grip and spray in some brake cleaner, if you work fast the grips will slide right off.  When re-installing spray the inside of the grips and they'll slide right on.  I've never had to glue grips on the WRR but I have on other bikes.

Another thought is Rocky Mtn ATV sells inexpensive Tusk bar risers in 15mm and 30mm.  They both fit fine on the WRR and are much easier and cheaper than replacing the bars and/or can give you more rise if the higher bars aren't enough.

-morgan
I used a welding rod bent into an "L" on one end. Insert under grip then turn the "L" to roll it around the perimeter of the bar. Works good. But last time I broke the throttle tube getting the grip off. If you are replacing them anyway, just cut them off its much easier.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyTue Jun 19, 2018 10:52 am

grubbie wrote:
I used a welding rod bent into an "L" on one end. Insert under grip then turn the "L" to roll it around the perimeter of the bar. Works good. But last time I broke the throttle tube getting the grip off. If you are replacing them anyway, just cut them off its much easier.

I sort of do the same thing but I shoot some soapy water into the grip using a spray bottle (or Simple Green works as well) into the gap between the grip and throttle tube as I work the rod around the tube. Usually slides right off.

When I go to put the new grip on I cover the throttle tube or handlebar end in soapy water as well and it usually slides right on. Wait a bit for it to dry and you should be good to go.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyTue Jun 19, 2018 4:00 pm

rsteiger wrote:
When I go to put the new grip on I cover the throttle tube or handlebar end in soapy water as well and it usually slides right on.  Wait a bit for it to dry and you should be good to go.

Even better is regular hairspray: acts like a lubricant when wet, but dries sticky, securing grips to bars (but not to the extent that they can only be removed by cutting them).
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyWed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 am

johnkol wrote:
Even better is regular hairspray: acts like a lubricant when wet, but dries sticky, securing grips to bars (but not to the extent that they can only be removed by cutting them).

May have to try that next time.. I typically don't have hairspray around since I have been bald for the last 15 years... lol
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars EmptyThu Jun 21, 2018 3:25 am

rsteiger wrote:
I typically don't have hairspray around since I have been bald for the last 15 years... lol

I didn't have hairspray either, I simply bought a travel-size bottle just for grip installation; there is enough hairspray in that small bottle to last me a lifetime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: noob replacing handlebars   noob replacing handlebars Empty

Back to top Go down

noob replacing handlebars
Page 1 of 1