Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Cheepo TubeLESS Tire

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Blue

PostSubject: Cheepo TubeLESS Tire   Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Has anyone tried to tape the rim with that stretchy rubber tape electricians use to make an airtight seal?  A person could then use a fat o-ring on the valve stem and rim lock on the inside of the rim to make those areas air tight.  Then if a flat on the trail were to happen, all you would need is a tubeless tire patch to get you home.
Any thoughts??
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Cheepo TubeLESS Tire   Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Yes, people have tried that and it has not worked.

Then again, why would you want to try it? The cheapest (and to a lot of people, best) solution is Ultra Black RTV.

Irrespective of the method used, the most critical part in sealing the wheels is the preparation, which can take quite a bit of time and effort.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Cheepo TubeLESS Tire   Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:27 am

Depending on how you ride the bike, I am sure why any one would want to do this.

Most the systems I have seen involve sealing up the spoke nipple. If you do that you lose the ability to true your wheels over time. On my WR250R I had to do that twice in 14,000 miles. I guess you could always remove the sealant if you needed to true the wheel but I would imagine the total time to do that is likely more that what it would cost you in the extra time it takes to replace the tube.

The other advantage I see with going 'tubeless' is reduction in repair time for a puncture. With tubeless you just plug the hole but with a tube you will need to pull and either replace or patch the tube. I have been pretty fortunate with my WRR since I have not had a single puncture in all those miles - then again I use HD tubes and always add RideOn balancer/sealer after I balance the wheel assembly.

For me I am not sold on the Tubeliss system either since it just doesn't make sense for how I use the bike. My buddy was out in CO with 4 other riders last summer, two of those (including him) were running Tubeliss. They had a total of 4 flats - all on them were on the Tubeliss set ups. When he got back he pulled the system off his wheels and went back to regular tubes.

I think one reason I am not really sold on the benefit is I can change a tire/tube pretty quick when out in the road so a flat is not a big concern for me... rather it is just part of the adventure.
Back to top Go down
Old Blue

PostSubject: Re: Cheepo TubeLESS Tire   Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks guys for the replies, I was looking for an easy way out without having to pack all the tools. Guess I'll just sharpen my tube patching skills.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Cheepo TubeLESS Tire   Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:27 am

In case my previous posting was misunderstood: I have converted my WRR wheels to tubeless, and this is a modification I would recommend to anyone with a dual sport.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheepo TubeLESS Tire   

Back to top Go down

Cheepo TubeLESS Tire
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: General Maintenance Discussion-
Jump to: