Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Thrilla Moto Detroit

Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease Empty
PostSubject: Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease   Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease EmptyTue Jul 31, 2018 10:31 am

Hello Team:

I just bought a 2008 WR250r that has only 567 miles on it.  It's bone stock and runs fine.  Sounds a little weak when it tries to start up and when I turn the key it I don't hear it priming up.

It's been sitting in a garage for years.  I know it needs new tires (they are barely worn but have turned plastic-y from age) and the bike is super grimy around the typical areas from sitting idle for a long long time.  

All recall work performed.  Fuel pump and Stator..

I'd love some advice on what my priorities should be to get this puppy a fresh start to life.  

What are the priorities here?  Should I take it in for inspection?  What would you all do?

Also, can you recommend a great cleaner to get this puppy de greased and spangly again?  (I'd like to give it a good cleaning first)

Any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks!

TMD
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease   Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease EmptyTue Jul 31, 2018 10:45 am

I'd give it an oil change, wash and reoil the air cleaner, go riding. As for cleaning it up I use Spectro, xl1 motorcycle wash or equivalent, spray on cold bike and hose off, it does pretty good on all the nooks and crannies you can't get by hand.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease   Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease EmptyTue Jul 31, 2018 11:38 am

Thrilla Moto Detroit wrote:

What are the priorities here?  Should I take it in for inspection?  What would you all do?

Here's what I'd do in your situation:
- Replace the original battery
- New tires and tubes
- Clean and re-oil air filter (replace if any signs of filter foam breaking down.)
- New fuel, if not done already.
- New oil & oil filter
- New coolant
- New brake fluid (front & rear)
- New chain (for fresh o-rings and grease in the sealed area.)
- Fresh grease in serviceable bearings (steering head, swingarm, and shock linkage.)
- Inspect sealed wheel bearings fro proper operation. Replace if any signs of grease degradation or corrosion etc.
- Fresh grease on moving brake caliper parts.
- Remove and inspect spark plug
- Inspect and/or replace suspension fluids and seals.
- Inspect and lubricate throttle tube, throttle cables, and clutch cable.
Back to top Go down
Thrilla Moto Detroit

PostSubject: Re: Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease   Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 8:31 pm

DPete wrote:
I'd give it an oil change, wash and reoil the air cleaner, go riding. As for cleaning it up I use Spectro, xl1 motorcycle wash or equivalent, spray on cold bike and hose off, it does pretty good on all the nooks and crannies you can't get by hand.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Thrilla Moto Detroit

PostSubject: Re: Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease   Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 8:32 pm

wwguy wrote:
Thrilla Moto Detroit wrote:

Here's what I'd do in your situation:
- Replace the original battery
- New tires and tubes
- Clean and re-oil air filter (replace if any signs of filter foam breaking down.)
- New fuel, if not done already.
- New oil & oil filter
- New coolant
- New brake fluid (front & rear)
- New chain (for fresh o-rings and grease in the sealed area.)
- Fresh grease in serviceable bearings (steering head, swingarm, and shock linkage.)
- Inspect sealed wheel bearings fro proper operation. Replace if any signs of grease degradation or corrosion etc.
- Fresh grease on moving brake caliper parts.
- Remove and inspect spark plug
- Inspect and/or replace suspension fluids and seals.
- Inspect and lubricate throttle tube, throttle cables, and clutch cable.

Great idea! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease   Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease Empty

Back to top Go down

Priorities on my new 2008 WR250r - only 567 miles - degrease
Page 1 of 1