Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Thrilla Moto Detroit

08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it  Empty
PostSubject: 08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it    08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it  EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 11:04 am

I'm sure the answer to the following is elsewhere is the thread but I'm frustrated!! Help please!

Seems like every other time I turn the key on and rock the Engine Stop Switch the bike WILL NOT prime. No whirr.

Also, sometimes I keep the Switch on and just turn the bike on/off with the key. - NO PRIME no whirr.

Sometimes it will start WITHOUT priming and sometimes absolutely nothing happens! Silent.

Generally, when it functions in a normal way I noticed the bike is kind of weak sounding when it fires up (not a normal ROBUST fire up) but it WILL start.

The lights aren't dim and I put it on a charger and it registered full.

Also, I did the diag and it reads 11.8

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: 08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it    08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it  EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 2:56 pm

How old is the battery?

This is your 'barn find' right - a 2008 with only 500 miles on it?

So I would suspect two things.

First if it is the original battery, I would change it.  If the battery is more than 5 years old, I would change it. If you have no clue on how old the battery is, I would change it (see a trend).  Otherwise have a shop do a load test on the battery to see what sort of shape it is in. A charger and and voltage test does not give you a complete picture on the health of the battery.

Second, at the age of the bike and the low miles, I am thinking the fuel in that tank has sat for long periods of time.  Couple that with the 2008 fuel pump then it may be a weak fuel pump issue.

Start at the battery first.  Also check the top of each forum for the 'Stickys' since there is at least one that mentions a connection up on the front of the bike that may come loose and create all sorts of mayhem.

If you really want to get to know the bike then you should take some time to look through the postings here since you are likely to see some real good ideas and problem solving skills on display - FOR FREE no less!  Google is your friend... unfortunately it is also the NSA's friend as well.

Others may chime in as well with some other good ideas.

BTW get a shop manual... it will be a best friend for you and the bike.
Back to top Go down
Thrilla Moto Detroit

PostSubject: Re: 08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it    08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it  EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 pm

rsteiger wrote:
How old is the battery?

This is your 'barn find' right - a 2008 with only 500 miles on it?

So I would suspect two things.

First if it is the original battery, I would change it.  If the battery is more than 5 years old, I would change it.  If you have no clue on how old the battery is, I would change it (see a trend).  Otherwise have a shop do a load test on the battery to see what sort of shape it is in.  A charger and and voltage test does not give you a complete picture on the health of the battery.

Second, at the age of the bike and the low miles, I am thinking the fuel in that tank has sat for long periods of time.  Couple that with the 2008 fuel pump then it may be a weak fuel pump issue.

Start at the battery first.  Also check the top of each forum for the 'Stickys' since there is at least one that mentions a connection up on the front of the bike that may come loose and create all sorts of mayhem.

If you really want to get to know the bike then you should take some time to look through the postings here since you are likely to see some real good ideas and problem solving skills on display - FOR FREE no less!  Google is your friend... unfortunately it is also the NSA's friend as well.

Others may chime in as well with some other good ideas.

BTW get a shop manual... it will be a best friend for you and the bike.

Thanks much man - I'm pretty sure it's the original battery.

Sorry to be dumb but what are the "Stickys" ??

I'll order a battery today. Curious on which battery you'd recommend.

All the best !
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: 08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it    08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it  EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 10:55 am

When you go into a forum like "What Broke" at that top of the listings you will see a small number of threads that are listed as "Announcements and Stickys". The Sticky thread is usually about an issue or subject that a lot of people have a common interest in so they are placed at the top of the list so you don't have to search for them.

As far as a battery goes.. well here again Google is your friend. Use a search phrase like "WR250R Battery review" and you will see a lot of info come up.

Personally, I tend to stay away from Automotive Part Store Motorcycle batteries since I have seen too many bad ones come from them. Not to say the shop didn't make it right by replacing it but I just don't like the extra hassle of going back and forth.

I run a Shorai Lithium/Iron battery on mine and it has been in there for about 4 years. They aren't the cheapest but they are pretty much the lightest and they don't lose charge when sitting for a long period of time. However, they can be a bit funky when you are trying to start the bike in cold weather.

There are plenty of other options out there as well that are less expensive.

You could also go to a Batteries Plus store and have them check out your battery to see what sort of shape it is in before buying a new one.

Again, spend some time reading the threads and see what other people have done. Best way not to get answers from people is not to go look for the answers on your own.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it    08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it  Empty

Back to top Go down

08 WRR won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it
Page 1 of 1