Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Power Loss with Heated Grips

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
db5304

Power Loss with Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Power Loss with Heated Grips   Power Loss with Heated Grips EmptyMon Sep 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Hey all,

I'm looking for some help on what might be an electrical gremlin. I was on a ride this past weekend, and found a sudden loss in low to mid range power when I turned my heated grips on. I just got a replacement generic Motorcross (Yuasa) battery as I was out of the country for 3 weeks and my battery was dead. I thought I has a parisitic draw, and replaced the battery, put it on my battery tender, and then took it off. I always went back to 13.2 V. I left it unplugged for a while and still same.

Then when I was riding, I had the major loss in power as mentioned, and also my low fuel light came on very quickly. I was at 40mpg. I do have an FMF fuel programmer installed. Is it possible this could be losing power with the grips on? Are my grips potetnially shorting out? Any thoughts on how to diagnose this? I need to check my battery voltage I think when running and with the grips on, and then my thought on the next step will be to try w/o the FMF with the grips on to see if it makes a difference. Is the mileage due to the poor performance?

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Power Loss with Heated Grips   Power Loss with Heated Grips EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 3:18 pm

Do you have a Battery Plus store nearby?

If you do I would have them do a load test on the battery just to make sure it is good. I have seen people buy new batteries that are bad.

Has the Stator recall been performed on the bike? If it hasn't been done, then bring it to your local dealership and have them do it - it should not cost you any thing. If the Stator is bad it is only a matter of time before the battery is toast.

The other thing to check is the Regulator/Rectifier.
Back to top Go down
db5304

PostSubject: Re: Power Loss with Heated Grips   Power Loss with Heated Grips EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 10:34 am

rsteiger wrote:
Do you have a Battery Plus store nearby?

If you do I would have them do a load test on the battery just to make sure it is good.  I have seen people buy new batteries that are bad.

Has the Stator recall been performed on the bike?  If it hasn't been done, then bring it to your local dealership and have them do it - it should not cost you any thing.  If the Stator is bad it is only a matter of time before the battery is toast.

The other thing to check is the Regulator/Rectifier.

Its a 2017 so it shouldn't have a stator recall as far as I know. I do have a battery plus lights near me, so I will give that a try, great suggestion and thanks. Got busy this week and couldn't test this so far, but Have a ride next weekend I'd like to have this sorted out before hand.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Power Loss with Heated Grips   Power Loss with Heated Grips EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 10:59 pm

It's a 2017 model?

If there is any warranty left on it I would bring it over to the local Yamaha Shop...

Back to top Go down
db5304

PostSubject: Re: Power Loss with Heated Grips   Power Loss with Heated Grips EmptyTue Sep 25, 2018 7:35 am

Thanks again for the replies. I took the battery to the Battery Plus store and asked the guy to do a load test. He put a voltmeter on it and tested the voltage... He said that was the only test they did. I also tried on my own fully charging it again, and with it running checking the voltage with the grips on/off, phone + gps plugged in etc. It never dropped significantly low, but you could see the draw of the grips on the voltage, but not by much. I disconnected the FMF programmer and rode it with no issues on a quick test ride with girps on. Then I took a 3 day trip this weekend, and had to use the grips in the rain on the way home with no issues. This was with the FMF still unplugged. No Idea what the problem was or why/if my voltage would have dropped significantly. I will still have to check for parasitic draw.

I also rewired my GPS harness as it was not done well, I ended up soldering and shrink rapping them into my grip wires as those are tied to the ignition. It is possible I had a short in my GPS mount.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Loss with Heated Grips   Power Loss with Heated Grips Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Loss with Heated Grips
Page 1 of 1