Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WTF, bought recommended chain and it is too long?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shake-n-bake

WTF, bought recommended chain and it is too long? Empty
PostSubject: WTF, bought recommended chain and it is too long?   WTF, bought recommended chain and it is too long? EmptyFri Nov 09, 2018 3:03 pm

So I changed out my stock 13/43 gearing with the 520/108 chain to a 14/50 and the recommended chain length from http://sprocketcalculator.com/ was to go with 118 links. I just put it back together and that chain is way too long.

What chain length should be run with the 14/50 combination?

ARGHHH!
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WTF, bought recommended chain and it is too long?   WTF, bought recommended chain and it is too long? EmptyFri Nov 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Never heard of that site before.  (I always use GearingCommander.com.)

Assuming identical chain tension: 112 links with 14/50 should bring your sprocket centerpoint distance 0.08" inches closer than 108 links with 13/43.  114 links should move them 0.55" apart compared to stock. 118 links with 14/50 will move your sprockets 1.81" farther apart than stock position, which you've already discovered.

Some riders prefer to buy longer chains like you have and just cut them down to desired length after holding them in place on the sprockets. Longer chains cost the same and you don't have to rely on screwy calculations like in that website.  You can cut the 118 link chain you have down and make it work. But Gearing Commander.com has always worked for me.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: WTF, bought recommended chain and it is too long?   WTF, bought recommended chain and it is too long? EmptyMon Nov 12, 2018 2:46 pm

All you needed to do was go to the 'Stickies' at the top of this forum and take a peek at this sticky. Gives you the different ratios and chain lengths required.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5-chains-and-sprockets
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTF, bought recommended chain and it is too long?   WTF, bought recommended chain and it is too long? Empty

Back to top Go down

WTF, bought recommended chain and it is too long?
Page 1 of 1